What is the other option for diving doubles beside bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount seems to be growing in popularity for doubles diving (at least based on the number of posts I see here), and there are BC's that can handle doubles. What are you looking for?

There are very few jacket BCs that are designed to mechanically attach to doubles, just as it is a bit of a kluge to attach most metal back plates to singles. It isn’t rocket science to modify one to attach, but would require some imagination and metal forming in most cases.

Don’t take this as a recommendation. I am no fan of jacket BCs.

The Dive Rite TransPac was designed to be used with doubles.

Why do you not want to use a backplate system? Double tanks are heavy and cumbersome, and you really do want them to sit in a stable position on your back. A backplate accomplishes that very well, which is why they are almost ubiquitous for people using manifolded doubles.

There is, of course, always sidemount.

Beside diving doubles or sidemount, you could carry a single tank your back...like a 80, 100, 120, 133 or 150 and carry one or two stages (80 cft). I guess it all depends as to the reason you want to carry the extra gaz

You could use a harness with a back plate and a dry suit for buoyancy control. I did that this past winter. It is my second choice. A lift bag for backup buoyancy is a good idea with this configuration,especially if the tanks are steel.

I modified my jacket BC to use doubles but it wasn’t as comfortable or as balanced as my BP/W has proven to be. I’ve proven to myself the BP/w is the way to go.

Last edited:
There are a few jacket BCDs that claim to be effective for use with doubles. Most of these utilize some sort of cam-band modification. Im my experience, they are normally far from optimal in terms of stability and security. That said, I have known a few divers who use jacket BCDs with doubles for tech diving and they were perfectly content with the perfomance. The underlying skill set of those divers probably contributed more to the performance, than the inherent function of the BCD though...

As mrntioned above you can have one tank on the back and another tank slang. I sometimes dive with my lo66 on the back and al80 stage. The stage gas is all usable the back is my rock bottom. But it is less stable than doubles although doable. Although i dive single wing/ bp

There are a few jacket BCDs that claim to be effective for use with doubles. Most of these utilize some sort of cam-band modification. Im my experience, they are normally far from optimal in terms of stability and security. That said, I have known a few divers who use jacket BCDs with doubles for tech diving and they were perfectly content with the perfomance. The underlying skill set of those divers probably contributed more to the performance, than the inherent function of the BCD though...
Curious what size cylinders they're using ... there's a bit of a difference between diving AL80 doubles and something like LP104's or HP130's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom