What is your favorite "Rig.? B.C. BP/W Horse Collar or ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the longest time, I didn't even use BCs, in the late 1970s; just had a hard backpack; and then purchased a used Seatec horse collar, which was used until Zeagle became available, around 1990.

Since then, I have had a Zeagle Ranger for heavy-duty use, with a 23 kilo lift; and a Zeagle Zeus, for travel and everyday use, which can be cinched -- corset-like -- to stabilize an occasionally troublesome back. They were both chosen, due to the fact, that any component could be replaced or changed; not so true with the earlier jackets . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 66
Technical gaffe . . .

Technical gaffe . . .
My first B.C. in 1999 was a U.S. Divers Seamaster, back mount with 50lbs of lift. I also had a U.S. Divers (Yellow.) Horse Collar, and a Seaquest (Orange.) Horse Collar
A couple of manufacturers still make them. I thought about buying one. more than once

I still preferred the collars to those later jacket designs; never cared for that frontal inflation . . .

Started with the standard Sherwood 'wrap around huggy type' (commonly refered to as a jacket style), never liked it. Went to a Seaquest back inflation, really nice for OW. Then went to the dark side. Dive Rite Classic wing with an OMS SS back plate. I still have the same. Had to dye the wing as it turned from blue to whitish. Might have to dye it again. I used it with doubles and for the last dozen years my homemade DOCCR. (Dual orifice closed circuit rebreather)

For OC type diving I use a Dive Rite Transpac w/junior wings. Great kit and you can fold and mash it up for travel. You might get the impression I like back inflation. Well you would be spot on.

Hi @Bigbella

Did your Seatec have a low pressure inflator? I had a similar Scubapro model that I bought in 1972. It was a separate vest but had an inflator, very advanced, just like the SPG I bought at the same time. It was also used a hard backpack on the tank, a steel 72.

Hi @Bigbella

Did your Seatec have a low pressure inflator? I had a similar Scubapro model that I bought in 1972. It was a separate vest but had an inflator, very advanced, just like the SPG I bought at the same time. It was also used a hard backpack on the tank, a steel 72.

Yes, it had the inflator, very similar to the ad in my post; and I already had a hard backpack and a 72 . . .

To set the stage, I'm a tech diver type, but only if I need it to get somewhere neat. I started with a jacket bc, then moved to a bp/w. I've since tried sidemount, but it wasn't for me. My favorite by far is bp/w, but if I'm diving stages I dive with back mounted doubles with stages slung in a sidemount style. Personally I think bp/w is extremely personalizeable, and easy to adapt to personal preferences. Which is not to knock sidemount, I just think that bp/w is a 99% solution for 95% of divers, and sidemount is a 99% solution for 5% of divers. Your mileage may vary of course, but that's my take so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom