What regulator do you guys recommend for deep water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
i believe the apeks overbalanced first stages (e.g. DS4) are good for deep diving becuase they compensate for the increased ambient pressure by increasing the IP being delivered to the second stage. i know those regs and some helium in the mix (to decrease the viscosity of the gas you are breathing) is good down to 320 fsw or so in actual practice, which is good enough for me. personally, i know i've never noticed my ATX200+DS4 breathing any heavier with depth down to 120 fsw -- it breathes as well there as it does at 10 fsw (i've got an ATX50+DS4 as well, and i've never noticed any different between the ATX200 and the ATX50, either, IMO save the money and get an ATX50 or TX50).

lamont, I trust your judgement, so tell me, what is an overbalanced reg?

Stan

Good choice for first stage ( routing ) and g250's as seconds. Good combination, easy to field strip. Capt tom

Wreck:
I'm confused (happens occasionally) and must be missing something in what you said.

Say I have an LP tank and am taking a breath that causes, say 1 liter of air to pass through my 1'st stage. Now I put the same reg setup on a high pressure tank. There's still 1 liter of air coming through there per breath. The flow rate/pressure differential on my second stage has not changed, that's isolated at the first stage (or at least I thought this was always the case). So how does using the LP tank make your second stage less likely to freeze - or was the context about first stages freezing?
The higher drop in pressure creates more adibatic cooling and increases the potential for the Mk 25 first stage to freeze.

Or any first stage, internally, depending on the moisture content of the fill gas . . .

Aqualong legend, i love mine!!! is pretty good.

Most of the top shelf regulators from the major manufactures will be just find but if you want actual names here they are : Apeks, Scuba Pro, Aqua Lung, and Atomic are going to be outstanding regulators.

KidK9:
I'm going to start my advanced nitrox, decompression procedures, and extended range in the next month or 2. I of course will be getting a DIN setup, but I'm wondering what regs you guys recommend? Thanks

Kirby Morgan Superflow and a helmet of choice...LOL...Hey, the kid said DEEP...

Wreck:
Yes, that makes sense

I think what DA Aquamaster was reffering to is the fact that the higher pressure tank has a greater pressure differential in getting that pressure to the intermediate pressure. The greater the pressure a gas(air) drops the more cooling(adiabatic) the gas experiences.

Of course, if you have a thermodynamically heated first stage, like the Poseidon Xstream, this wouldn't be much of a concern.

That said, the US Navy uses Poseidon Jetstream/Odins for cold water SCUBA operations and the Royal(UK) Navy uses Apeks. Point of interest, if you read the US Navy ANU list the only other regs listed for cold water use are the Beuchat VX8 and VX10. The older lists also include the all metal US Divers Conshelf.

Back
Top Bottom