What would you buy first

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went from the top down, for a few reasons. Here's the order in which I got stuff:

0) Fins, snorkel, mask, gloves, boots, hood (Got these when I was going through certification. These are personal items, it's just best to own them)
1) Regulator and basic cluster
2) BC and lead
3) Light, knife, slate
4) Wetsuit

I pondered it and ended up going with the reg and bc as my first large purchases. They're very personal and can have a real effect on the dive. It's nice to know I've got a reg that I know is well-maintained, and I like knowing that I have just the weight I need in the configuration I want on a BC that I know fits perfectly. I've seen many a rental BC with tears in the weight bags, leaks around the inflator hose attachment, and rips in various places. I got a basic console with an SPG and pressure gauge, and plan to purchase a computer down the road, once I've done some research.

The knife, primary light and slate came next, as I started diving more. The knife is wonderfully handy in kelp, and as a general tool and the light is great for evening dives and looking into hidey-holes in rock reefs. They were small purchases, but worth it.

I've saved the wetsuit for last for a few reasons. One, I was and still am losing weight. Two, my LDS takes good care of their rental equipment, so I've never got one that was torn, stretched or reeking of urine. Three, wetsuits are very cheap to rent always seem to be on sale. I've also got to dive in a few different brands so I know which fit I like best.

Perhaps your situation is different than mine, but I found that this purchase plan got me good gear for my money and has saved in rental costs over time.

For me the first thing I would suggest is a good regulator. I have seen rental regulator mistreated in many way in my years of diving. The last thing I want to have a problem with at 100+ feet is my air supply. If I have air I can deal with pretty much any of the other problems. If I have an issue with my BCD I can still swim slowly to the surface, most issues with BC are related to the auto inflator if that happens I can disconnect the hose and orally inflate and finish my dive. If I get cold I can end the dive including a safety stop if needed. If my air stops at depth options are limited. Not knowing how a regulator has been handled or serviced makes me want to own my regulator and I know the history of it. So after mask fins and snorkel I would suggest a regulator setup, including a dive computer.
Just my 2 cents.

Depending on how you dive , vacation diver , out of country, or regular recreational week end warrior , should be considered in your choices. If you are a vacation diver , and have a good shop to rent gear from, thne your wet suit, should be your next purchase, as a reputable dive shop will have safe equipment to rent. But... if you are planning to dive a lot out of the country,i.e. Carribean ... then you might consider your own reg and octo, as some equipment you may rent in out of the states, may not be as dependable as what you get at home . . You always breathe easier on regs that you are use to, and comfortable with. As inexpensive as most wet suits are , you should be able to pick up a good one and hardly miss the money.. but big purchases , `pute and regs when maintained properly , will last a life time .. and should be considered as a priority purchase... if you are planning on diving a lot ... Just My opinion..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom