What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Not as well as jumping out of a plane with a proper parachute. In the same way nice rigid fins as opposed to floppy things that bend against water flow are better for diving.
Clarification, String... "glorified bedsheet" = parachute...
Sorry you didn't pick that up on the first go-around...

Point being, the splits work (for me, and from what I can see, many others).
I'm not sure if it's kick style, body type, habit, or what you had for breakfast, but there are as many different experiences with splits as there are people that have tried them...

I've been in headlong current with them, and have managed to either freeze my position or make headway with little effort (compared to paddles I've used). Others have apparently had different experiences...

Bottom line, if it works (if only for a percentage of us), what makes it laughable, if it simply doesn't work for *you*?

How about some scientific research to back up these ideas...

FINS: Myths

by Jim Grier, Dept. of Biological Sciences, North Dakota State Univ., Fargo, ND, USA

There are several myths or "Old Dive's Tales" regarding fins! Here are some of them:

"Some types (paddle, split, or [insert type of your choice]) are better in current than others."
From both theory and actual tests and experience, that simply is not true. I myself have dived with and compared many different fins in strong current, both ocean and river. The fins that do better or more poorly in calm water will do the same in current. It is all relative to the diver moving through the water, whether the water itself is moving or not.

"Split fins require a different, narrower kick style."
A narrower kick does better for ALL fins, because of reduced drag from less leg surface area against the water movement. For actual tests proving this, for both split and paddle fins, click here.

"Split fins are not as good in alternative kicks or maneuverability as paddle fins."
Some split fins might not do as well in alternative kicks and/or maneuverability as some paddle fins, but the reverse is also true. The same principal applies to all performance characteristics that have been tested: it depends on which specific fins one is discussing. Furthermore, any given combination of performance characteristics probably depends on which fins are involved. High performance by any given set of fins for one characteristic, such as flutter kick speed, probably does not necessarily mean that the same fins are either good or bad for other characteristics. They can only be tested to see ... and more of that needs to be done, that is, testing for combinations of performance characteristics. The ScubaLab fin testing has done some of this, as briefly reported in the tables at the ends of the reports in the July and August 2003 issues of Rodale's Scuba Diving. Those results show that performances tend to be similar among different characteristics for a given fin, but not always. The ratings published so far, however, do not provide much resolution on the issue and further testing would be useful.

Speaking subjectively at this point, not with my own hard data but partly from my personal experience as one of the ScubaLab team members in the maneuverability group plus years of routine use of both paddle and split fins, I can categorically say that neither paddles nor splits are necessarily better at alternative kicks or maneuverability. Again, it all depends on which paddle or split fins one is talking about. For me, the fins that are best in basic characteristics seem to also be excellent in alternative kicks and maneuverability. For a related issue, finning backwards, I do have some actual data (click here).

"(given type) fins stir up silt more than (another type)."
This is only partially true and the answer is somewhat complicated. Assuming that one is not stirring up silt through direct contact between the fins and the substrate, silt is stirred up by water movement from the fins. The majority of water movement is coming off the ends of the fins, thus, it depends mostly on which way they are pointing, regardless of what kind of fin is involved. If the fins and the water coming off them are angled toward the bottom, then silt will be stirred up. If instead the fins are angled more parallel to or slightly upward from the substrate, then the water will be directed away from the substrate and silt will not be stirred up, at least from water coming off the fin tips. However, there is also water turbulence that rolls off the sides of fins and this turbulence can stir up silt. Split fins, by directing more of the water backwards through the split, with less spilling off the sides, create much less silting from side turbulence (and also less drag, one of the reasons they are more efficient, all other things being equal). On the other hand, because split fins direct more water off the end of the fins (as fins are supposed to do), if they happen to be directed downward toward the silt, well ... the first problem (directing thrust water toward the substrate) then is accentuated and, as a result, greater silting can occur. Thus, the answer is that it depends on which type of fin (split or paddle) is involved and the angle of the kick relative to the substrate (and also, obviously, how close one is to the substrate).

howarde:
How about some scientific research to back up these ideas...
I prefer witchcraft and heresay, thank you. This thread was progressing just fine. Why would you want to go and destroy all of these simple myths with logic?:shakehead

BKP:
Lilla, I'd still be very interested in reading the studies your brother/professor/engineer sent you. Please feel free (if you would) to send them to my e-mail at bkp@scubaboard.com

I've read a couple of papers on this (terminal curiosity), and your brother's would be the first to contend that circulation created by the split fin effectively dissipates with no thrust (I'd imagine the effect would be that of a bike rider on a spinner bike).

I'm sure all fins are inefficient to a degree (nature seems to have endowed the large, fast pelagics with the equivalent of the Force Fin -- kind've renders this argument moot).

However, all the arguments go out the window since it boils down to personal taste...

DIR will continue to advocate Jets,
Most LDS' will continue to endorse splits,
And Keith Richards will continue snorting anything that'll fit up his nose...

Sent to you earlier this morning. Agree that personal preference is most important.

Honestly, these "scientific studies" are a bunch of bulls. Everyone knows, split fins were meant to be used with snorkels.

The aerodynamics of snorkels is such that they split the column of water in half, causing a null in the center of each fins. It is kind of like the null you have behind a speedboat - where the water is calm.

By not requiring testers to wear snorkels, any studies done to find the difference between split fins and full fins are a bunch of horse doo doo.

Only when you randomize the mice, some with snorkels, and some with out, and blind them all - and use blinded observers (ones with seeing eye dogs), can you truly say that split fins are not as good as jet fins, etc...

These DIR directives are a bunch of horse poopies.

Jim Grier:
The fins that do better or more poorly in calm water will do the same in current. It is all relative to the diver moving through the water, whether the water itself is moving or not.
I don't think it's as simple as that ... unless you're talking strictly about moving with the current. Again, speaking strictly from my own experiences with one particular split fin (Apollo Biofin), I could move with the current just fine. Moving against the current required me to kick more frequently than I have to in my Turtles in the same condition ... because the Biofin doesn't provide the "glide" that I get with my Turtles and therefore I had to kick more to get the same amount of movement. Holding position in a current (to take a picture, for example) was more noticeable ... the Biofins just didn't provide the same degree of control and while I could do it, more effort was required.

Jim Grier:
For a related issue, finning backwards, I do have some actual data (click here).
Howarde ... would you have the link to the data? I'd like to see it ... because a back kick is the only one I had zero success at using splits. Nor have I actually seen (although I have read claims) someone successfully back kicking in splits. My guess is that while it may be possible, it would be nowhere near as effective as with paddle fins. The mechanics of the fin just don't seem to be designed for it ... for reasons Mr. Grier describes when he talks about the differences in how each style of fin is designed to function. Let's just say that unless I see some data ... or see someone actually doing it ... I'm skeptical about the efficacy of split fins for back kicking.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

WOW!!

I really didn't mean to start a war! I finally finished reading ALL of the responses. Thank you to everyone who responded! I read some very helpful advice and interesting comparisons.

I have finally decided.......

To try out both kinds of fins in the pool! :D We just made arrangements to use our LDS's pool this Saturday, so I can try out fins. As I mentioned before I'm not a very strong swimmer, and didn't want to totally suck at my OW class. I thought if I got other opinions first, I could make the right purchase the first time. Sorry if this subject has been covered too much! In all fairness, I did a search of my title, and didn't have any matches come up, so I figured it was safe! I like to research before I buy, I hate to spend money, and then regret what I purchased. Anyway, thank you again for all your responses, I read them all, and took notes on fin styles, so I can ask my dive shop if they have them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom