What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Yes, but they involve whip cream, an electric toothbrush, strawberries, and a shovel. I would elaborate, but this is a G rated website! :mooner:

Orange shovel, that is . . . oops, I spilled the beans!

My wife has had no problems swimming into the current at spots such as Saba, Statia, the Caymans, etc. (see my profile for a list of spots). Her prior fins were college student gear - generic paddle fins with no vents and a stiff blade sold under the 'Diving Star' logo - she got her OW as PE credit in college, diving Texas lakes and spots like "The Blue Lagoon" for you Lone Star divers who know where that is.

She has been quite happy ever since I bought the pair of red Zooms she's used for the past 6 years now that I think about it - Feb. 2001, Valentine's week trip to Cozumel.

BobbyWombat:
Dude, here is what you do:

Force Fin on your left foot
Old Tusa on the right

If you start swimming clockwise: Force Fin better.
If you start swimming counter-clockwise: Tusa better

Interesting fun fact:
If you put split Force Fins on BOTH feet, you will swim a giant dollar sign shape :eyebrow:

Yeah, but if I'm swimming in circles how will I get back to the beach?

mdb:
You will, most likely, get the Jet fin finatics, the others who say that split fins do not work in current etc. Same old same old. \

We were the first company to introduce the new technology to the SCUBA market. We used polyurethane, polymer compounds etc. We, finally, settled on 100% pure natural rubber. The result, a world class fin that has been rated first in multiple tests, year after year. If you like "stiff" the bio-fin XT fills the bill. The most efficient is the bio-fin pro. /www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/index.htm

The debate will continue, over and over, try them for yourself. Mother Nature seems to have figured it out eons ago.

Yep, same old same old. The tests always measure the same thing...max sustainable speed. First of all, I don't know or need to know what my max sustainable speed is, though I do need to know that accurately maneuver with minimal movement and get good thrust and speed over short distances...as in one or two kicks.

Measuring max sustainable speed going backwards is really silly. That isn't how a back kick is used...we usually don't just swim around backwards.

My diving might not be like everybody elses but once I'm underwater I don't really need to go anyplace. It's like walking in the woods. The less walking you do, the more you see. I hover, maybe kick once or twice and coast, put on the brakes and stop or back up to look at something, turn this way or that. I do indeed travel into strong flow at times in caves. I generally don't rely on finning power alone to do it and when I do it's usually for fairly short distances and what I need is max power on kick number one.

For those who have never seen this, it's like rowing a boat. Row forward with one oar and backward with the other and you turn sharply with no forward motion. Going backwards is a simple matter and sticking the oars in the water with a slight backward rowing motion puts on the brakes. The result is the ability to accurately maneuver.

Simple test...put on some split fins, kick once and measure how fast you go and how far. See how far you can helo yourself around with oa single kick. Perform one reverse kick and measure how far and how fast you back up. Get moving and use a partial reverse kick to put on the brakes...see how fast you can stop.

I do remember an interesting test that was done. Some guys tested split fins in a cave and posted the report on the diverite web page. There results were pretty much in line with what I've seen from the fins.

mdb is right, mother nature figured this out a long time ago. Fish have tails which they use differently than we use are feet. They have dorsal fins, pectoral fins and fins all over the place. Ever watch a fish turn with no forward motion or backup? Which fins do they use for that accurate maneuvering and how are they using them? They're sculling with paddle shaped fins that are usually not split. So, I think if you put some paddle fins on your hands and splits on your feet you might almost do ok. LOL

People figured this out a long time ago too and you can see the results in the design of boat oars and canoe paddles.

But heck, lets do this the right way. I'm pretty sure I still have a few pairs of splits in the garage. I might even have a couple pair of the original biofins. Assuming I can find them, I'll give them to anyone who can demonstrate that they can frog, turn and back alongside me while they are using them. I don't know what they retail for now but I think they sold for about $180 when I got them. I'll give them to anyone who can show me that they can use them. We'll post a detailed report fn the dive on the board.

I've dove old and new lighter Jets and Plana's for years. Two years ago I bought a pair of Apollo splits and love them. I swam them in heavy current and they was fine.

One thing I don't think I've seen on this thread is any reference to resistance of the fins moving through the water. We just got back from the pool and I was able to do a comparison between two different types of splits.

Now, before I tell you what I discovered, let me qualify this with some information about me. I'm a new diver myself and when I bought fins, I purchased ScubaPro Twin Jets. I had never in my entire life put on a set of fins. Ever. So I have a very limited frame of reference when comparing fins. I bought the Jets for a couple of reasons. #1 the design of splits makes sense to me. #2 I read alot about splits being easier on feet and legs. One thing I do know about scuba gear, it all works. Sometimes it works better in ones oppinion, sometimes not as good as another type/brand. But the common thing here is, OPPINION.

So, now back to the pool today, I was using my jets when an instructor brought out some stiffer ScubaPro twin speeds. Or, at least I think that is what they were called. Anyway, I tried those and absolutely hated them. I wanted them off my feet after one lap in the pool. Way to stiff for my tastes. Then he brought out his own Oceanic V12 splits so I tried them. Absolutely LOVED them. They seem to have less resistance moving through the water than the stiff ones. I'm not sure if I like them better than my twin jets, but, I'm thinking I might have to own a pair soon. I like the fact that they are a bit narrower than my scubapros. Mine tend to bump as they move past each other.

So, as unscientific as my little "tests" were, they did produce a positive result in my oppinion. I don't care much about top speeds, torque, power per kick etc. All I care about is how they feel, and if they move me through the water.

I won't tell you which fins Rhonda tested and ended up purchasing. I'll leave that for her to post.

Here is an unscientific test. I have nearly 500 dives. About 25 of which were using Apollo Bio Fins. While they are not always my fin of choice, I challenge the claim that they don't work in currents. They do. They perform more efficently than my Jets.

On an excursion about a year ago I took both my Apollos and my Jets. It was about a 2 k current. NO I did not measure it, but the boat Captain said it was 2k and based on my experience it fealt about right.
First dive was with the Jets. At the end of the dive before I bailed, I turned into the current for 15 seconds and kicked to remain in place.
Second dive after the SI (40 minutes +-) I dopped in with Apollos and turned into the current for 15 seconds and kicked to hold my position. With the splits I was less stressed, no burn etc.

Unscientific? sure. But it was the same ocean same day within 1 hour and within a few miles.

Why would I want to swim against the current? I don't know. Buddy with the DSMB dropped behind a ledge to deploy while I was an top of the ledge? Why didn't the "team" stay together during the "mission"? I don't know.
But don't tell me that split fins don't work in current.

Blackwood:
How well can you do a backup kick? I've never used splits, but it seems like they'd be too floppy. I have trouble doing it even in "standard" fins like Quattros.
I can back fin with my apollo bio-fin split fins. I haven't been able to back fin with jet fins or turtle fins.

I ended up with Oceanic V12 splits. I tried the scuba pro swim jets, and did not like them, they bumped into each other, and felt too floppy. I tried a stiffer fin, and really didn't like those. Then I tried the oceanic's, they were perfect! I will let you know, after I get certified, and have some dives, if I get carried away in the current!! :D
The bad news is, right now as I'm typing this my brand new fins are being used in the lake for the first time! Not by me, noooooo, by my husband who borrowed them to go diving today! :shakehead Right now, his big clunky feet are probably stretching out my brand new spring straps. :shakehead Oh well, at least he can let me know if they perform well *out in the wild* Next time I'll buy whatever they have in hot pink.:eyebrow:

Oooops, I just realized I posted this under his name, it's his fault, he leaves himself signed in all the time. This was posted by YellowfinKunkfish, not Kunk35!

Split fins are really good in bath tubs and swimming pools.:peepwalla

Back
Top Bottom