Where do I go to learn the basics of Underwater videography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjspeck:
One factor might be that the manual white balance is buried in the control menu and only activated by the joystick under the lcd screen. You'll get better results if you MWB at depth.

Hmm... How are you white balancing your camera at depth... Curious...

I wonder how many divers like my students are "fixing it in post"

We should have a contest for best non edited photo and video.

www.freedomfilm.com:
I'm not. I would have had to buy an EVO Pro and A1U camcorder - $2000 more - to do it, not worth it to me.

What I have been recently experimenting with is power cycling the camera on at depth while pointed at something white - it appears that Sony HDV cameras WB on power-up. Results have been mixed as of now. Worked really well in shallow Bahamas water, not so good in murkier green water last month off San Carlos MX.
I'm sure most who don't have an FX1 or similar housed probably are. But I didn't want to sell my car to get one...:D
But how would you prove it? I saw people cheating last summer on our Nekton cruise to win the t-shirt in the Photo contest.

www.freedomfilm.com:

My camcorder/housing has a manual white balance button. I typically dive clear colorful Caribbean waters.

Here is a wreck in Aruba shot at 90 feet. White balance was set using the sand. No color editing done at all, I have enough t-shirts, LOL.

white balance clip

Hmm... Why not use a dive slate? Or something actually white? My canon digital camera has a great undewater setting.

How do we know who is cheating? We dont.. haha.

Steve how was the nekton cruise? We are going to belize in jan-feb 07 for 2 weeks.

www.freedomfilm.com:
Steve how was the nekton cruise? We are going to belize in jan-feb 07 for 2 weeks.
I know, I posted in your other thread.

Can you really fix WB in post? I do have a video I took in Cozumel with no filter, no WB and it's blue on blue with blue bits. I played around a little (and will play around some more) seeing if I can fix anything, but overall I think it's gone. I think trying to fix it is a waste of time and effort and chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on.

Quick answer... yes...

You can fix anything in post! Havent you seen King Kong, Star Wars, The Matrix... hehe.

If you were able to get a shot of a slate, or maybe the white logo on someone's wetsuit or gear, and IF the lighting conditions/depth didn't change too much you could probably color balance the logo (for example) to white - and therefore correct the rest of the colors in the clip incidentally. Use your eye and what looks good to you. We do it all the time in photos and film, unfortunately. It is always awesome when your DP lights a scene so well that it isnt needed. (or properly sets up the camera...)

I've experimented using a white slate, but found it to be a hassle and the results were not any better than using the sand.

My experiences with color correction for underwater video are mixed. Sometimes if my filter or lights add too much red, lessening the red in editing has worked well. I've never been happy when I try to add color. Maybe it's the software. I've used Premiere and Vegas. Neither one worked well. What software are you using Freedom ? Do you have any color corrected clips ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom