Where do I go to learn the basics of Underwater videography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In10se:
How would a soon to be shooting underwater HD video person get this DVD of the basics from ya DVDiveGuy? I have a bass-boat and want to record various types of lure presentations ... hopefully as they're catching fish ... this coming January.

Im new at all three endevors. I'm taking my 1st bass-boat that I just bought out to use my newly aquired dive certification on my first attepmt to shoot video ... and I still need to buy the video camera. There will be blooper videos ... tons.

I'll be out of town in a few hours after I post this. I'll be back on the 30th and see your response then. If I need to buck up for your DVD no worries ... I'm not expecting any freebies. Seeing your work and wanting to do as well is the motivation for the post

Thanks for the help ...

No reason for using this gif I just thought it was funny ... :deadhorse:
If you get me your mailing address, either here or by using the contact us page on my site, I'll send it to you. Just passing on a good word about my site to divers you meet along the way will be compensation enough. We want to show and remind as many people as possible of the amazing experiences found below the surface.

When you get your technique worked out you may want to consider becoming a contributing videographer for DVDiveGuide.

Best of Luck.... I'll be looking for your mailing info.

DVDive Guy

Hello

Taping underwater you get what you pay for, as in anything else in life. If you want all the extra toys, manual wb, manual focus etc they cost extra on your housing. Than is to say if the housing manuafactorer even supports add ons. I dive a rather large camera, GL2, in a rather large housing, Equinox Pro Pak 8, and out of the water is is a big yellow beast. But in the water it handles like a dream. You can steadily shoot one handed if needed and it flows nicely. As for easy editing software to start with Pinnacle v10 has a gradual learning curve and you can actually white balance off a white item. Not a white grey and black item. I agree with everyone who said learn your balance and comfort zone BEFORE picking up a camera/video camera underwater. It does add extra procedures and skills when you are on a dive. Down south in a 3mm shorty with no weight it is easy, but through in a drysuit, gloves, hood and all the needed weight it gets more complicated.

Chris

If I have the opportunity to go to a workshop and learn from a successful professional, I would do it in a heartbeat. You can always learn and improve on techniques.

Having said that, my first housing was a homemade one with plans off the internet, I put the camera in it, and began shooting underwater video. My videos have broken into three categories, 1) nothing interesting going on and no editing, 2) vacation videos where my friends want copies to show their underwater exploits to friends and families, and 3) ones that tell an interesting story that others may want to experience and are posted to the the internet for all.

I have found by talking to others, reading, shooting video, and editing, I am getting better and learning on my own. Yes, I am sure that I am re-inventing a wheel, but as I said, I would go to a workshop in a second.

I guess it's been pretty much trial and error learning. There are times I get a good shot and something inside me says to continue doing this. However, more often, I get useles or bad footage. Thank God for editing capability.

I learned that I video, edit, and post for personal satisfaction. It would be nice if I could make a living at this, but I do it for the enjoyment of diving and bringing something lasting back.

By the way, last summer, a television cable network saw one of my videos and we had some serious discussion about them buying it, but the project never saw the light of day. Well, that's show biz. But it does show what could happen.

My advise, if you want to make better dive video, keep diving and keep make video.

Hey, I realize this is a really old thread but I wanted to say thanks for all your suggestions. I did watch the video Underwater Video Basics and it was good for some but kind of short on info about the camera types out there. The book by Hammerhead press was much more in depth, so that was great.

Either way, they were both worth the money. I'm more convinced than ever to get into underwater videography. I'm moving to Saipan sometime after Christmas and I hope to be able to get a camera and housing then.

Oh, and I found a 14 day/28 dive program in Thailand that takes your through the basics. It comes out to about the same price as just doing the regular dives...so that's ok. The website is kinda basic but here it is: Deep Down Production

If anyone knows anything about it, let me know. Also, if anyone can tell me about the latest cameras out there, I'd really appreciate that. I used a JAV digitial now with a hard disk drive and I LOVE the ease of transfering my vids to the computer for editing. Are there professional level Hard disk drive video cameras out there?

Thanks again for all the help!

riverserf:
Are there professional level Hard disk drive video cameras out there?
There's the RED ONE....

Sony's announced the HDR-SR7. HDV, 60GB drive, 3.2MP CMOS sensor. AVCHD output though. Shipping July 13th.

If anyone knows anything about it, let me know. Also, if anyone can tell me about the latest cameras out there, I'd really appreciate that. I used a JAV digitial now with a hard disk drive and I LOVE the ease of transfering my vids to the computer for editing. Are there professional level Hard disk drive video cameras out there?

Thanks again for all the help![/QUOTE]

From what I understand you're in the process of moving from on land to underwater video recording.
In the underwater video world there are different laws, first you start with the housing that you can afford, whether is mechanical or electronic controlled from here you'll decide what camcorder you can use with the housing of your choice.
You can check all the manufacturer websites on this board.
Do your home work before buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom