Where do I go to learn the basics of Underwater videography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing some underwater clips from say the bahamas with no color correction, and then with your filtering color correction because while I can make white look white, it never puts the red back in.

I just started to use MWB underwater to reset the WB for each 10 foot difference in depth.

While diving in Loreto, I was very impressed with the results using MWb this way.

I was using a TRV950 in an Ikelite housing, no video lights.

I carry the PADI White balance slate from the Digital Phto class and use that to set the WB.

Mike...

I use Final Cut Pro, Avid, Shake and some pretty advanced stuff by trade. But Premiere and Vegas can do it just fine. I mostly color correct pictures, but in the same way using simple color balances to compensate for color loss at depth, rather than advanced editing and photo painting.. Cheating... haha

James,

Im so used to showing examples or lessons rather than explaining it for my film students, I forget... hehe.

White was a bad example perhaps... as in shallow water, and at surface the blues can bounce and oversaturate a white for example... But the same principle applies. Bring something with a red you recognize... Like a dive sticker or wetsuit color, then experiment with color balance trying to get it back to that color in your video using the simplest techniques first. Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation and simple color correct can make a big difference before looking at fancier techniques...

Freedomfilm, thanks for your awesome post....hope your fingers were able to recover.

Thank you to everyone who is helping point me in the right direction. I did order the DVD and one of the books (the one from Hammerhead press) so as they should help out quite a bit.
I guess I know "a bit" about shooting good (or at least decent) video on land...stuff like holding the camera still and not letting the subject get lost in a massive background....but it's the stuff that applies specifically to shooting underwater that I really have no idea on. And honestly, I don't know a lot about which camera models are most popular for this kind of stuff.

As for editing, right now I'm using the ultra-simple Cyberlink Power Director. I'd like to have more options to do creative stuff so obviously I'm going to need to upgrade in that department. What do you suggest? Is it worth getting Pinnacle or is that just a baby step up? The stuff you mentioned in your last post I've never even heard of...which just goes to show you how much I need to learn!

Editing is really less about the tool than it is about the craft. If your software allows you to add titles & music and make cuts, you have most of the tools you need. The trick is in knowing what to do with those tools. A couple great texts about the craft of editing are "The Eye is Quicker" by Pepperman & "In the Blink of an Eye" by Murch. And there's a whole slew of books in the 'DV Experts Series' that could keep you reading for months.

Most important ... have fun with it.

Like HiDefPics said the editing program is a tool... Not the craftsman. A good builder can build a great house with any hammer. The best hammer in the hands of a bozo will get you nothing. So dont worry about cameras and programs... If you get a budget, and want to get serious about a new camera and editing system look at the retutn on investment you will get from the new gear and if you really need it... You should see the junk that some dive shops use to make 75 dollar VHS tapes of your dive, haha. Then if you decide to buy some new stuff, then we will expand the thread to help you get the right stuff.

PS.. The books mentioned above are excellent for theory. You can also try the editing exercises in the "Apple Pro Training Series" of books. Excellent lessons with a real useful and practical feel if you want to actually see it in action. They are tailored for Apple Final Cut Pro users, but you can do the exercises on any program basically.

I have a website where I stream video to my clients websites. Some of my video was shot with a rig similar to what you are talking about. Sony DVD camcorder in an ikelite housing. Other video shot with high definition rig. To see what you get either way you can check out the video on my site.

The Oriskany, Chevron and Avocet videos were shot with the Sony and Ikelite. Truk Lagoon and Bonaire were shot high def. If there are a lot of particles floating in the water the Sony will give better results. Basiclly, the lower the vis the lower the res.

http://www.dvdiveguide.com

Also, I have the DVD on Underwater video basics. It is just that, basic. It covers things like steady shots, pan shots, zoom shots, etc and when to use them. Not very technically detailed but if you have very little or no experience it's a good starting place.

Good Luck

DVDiveGuy:
I have a website where I stream video to my clients websites. Some of my video was shot with a rig similar to what you are talking about. Sony DVD camcorder in an ikelite housing. Other video shot with high definition rig. To see what you get either way you can check out the video on my site.

The Oriskany, Chevron and Avocet videos were shot with the Sony and Ikelite. Truk Lagoon and Bonaire were shot high def. If there are a lot of particles floating in the water the Sony will give better results. Basiclly, the lower the vis the lower the res.

http://www.dvdiveguide.com

Also, I have the DVD on Underwater video basics. It is just that, basic. It covers things like steady shots, pan shots, zoom shots, etc and when to use them. Not very technically detailed but if you have very little or no experience it's a good starting place.

Good Luck
How would a soon to be shooting underwater HD video person get this DVD of the basics from ya DVDiveGuy? I have a bass-boat and want to record various types of lure presentations ... hopefully as they're catching fish ... this coming January.

Im new at all three endevors. I'm taking my 1st bass-boat that I just bought out to use my newly aquired dive certification on my first attepmt to shoot video ... and I still need to buy the video camera. There will be blooper videos ... tons.

I'll be out of town in a few hours after I post this. I'll be back on the 30th and see your response then. If I need to buck up for your DVD no worries ... I'm not expecting any freebies. Seeing your work and wanting to do as well is the motivation for the post

Thanks for the help ...

No reason for using this gif I just thought it was funny ... :deadhorse:

Definitely will have to agree with freedomfilms, Practice, practice.

One thing I would very seriously consider when purchasing a video housing unit is a red lense filter for your underwater footage, this makes a huge difference in color for underwater.

There are so many people out there running out and dropping thousands of dollars on camera set ups that don't know how to edit or don't have the artist flair to create a good video. So play with the camera topside, understand it, think about your editing while filming.

Another piece of advice would be your diving skills. You will be underwater trying to film, you still have to be aware of all the needs during the dive. The camera and shooting just added alot more task loading. Get you diving skills and underwater comfort zone dialed in and you will have a better time capturing that "epic" shot for your videos.

James N
www.go-fish-films.com

Back
Top Bottom