Which BP/W system to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennybuoy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I am a new diver and am just getting my gear, I have decided that I want to go to a BP/W setup. I have been looking at an OMS with either the Comfort Harness II or the IQ harness with the OMS single tank bladder.

I don't really know what else to look at to compare, so would be very appreciative of anyones opinion of OMS and any other alternatives.

Cheers,
Ben

There's a lot of choices, so don't rush into a purchase until you've exhausted your research.

Question 1# Why do you want/need a Comfort Harness?

Do you just assume that is would be better due to the cost..or because it resembles the jacket BCD style you are already familiar with? If you've not tried a plain ('Hog' or Hogarthian) harness, then do this first. You may find that you much prefer the basic harness, to the fancy one. Many divers do :)

In my logic, it's better to get the standard version first...and upgrade later if you have to, then to get the fancy one first and end up selling it a month later on Craigslist at a major loss.

I made this mistake when I bought my first wing. The comfort harness was listed on Ebay within a month of buying it. sigh.

Question 2# How much wing volume do you need?

Single tank wings are available in a range of volumes, from 16l up to 40l. Don't buy bigger capacity than you will need. Oxycheq sell some great small volume (<30l capacity) wings.

Question 3# Do you have any specific requirements?

I wreck dive, so I look for the most robust and puncture/abrasion resistant wing possible. I imagine the same is true for cave divers, and even many 'reef' divers. Investigate the wing fabric materials. The Oxycheq Mach V Extreme wing has 3x the abrasion and puncture resistance of Kevlar. I've already singled this out for my next purchase :)

Question 4# What backplate do you need?

Steel? Aluminum? Kydex? Nylon? The weight and durability of different backplate materials is a key factor in your decision. I have both a steel and aluminum backplates. Steel is best when I drysuit dive, as it compensates more for the increased buoyancy. Aluminum is a great option for travelling.

Question 6# How might you want to expand your configuration in the future?

Getting a good single tank configuration can save time and money later, as you might get into twinset/technical diving. Plan ahead if that is a possibility.

OMS are fine in terms of quality and cost. Some brands like Halcyon, Agir and Oxycheq offer wider ranges and may have better quality, but are also more expensive. Do check out DSS wings.... they are simular to OMS, but may be cheaper?

Devon Diver pretty much covered it.

I ideals behind the BP/W is rather than buying which manufacturers toys look pretty, you evaluate your needs and customize at least to some extent to meet them. It takes work to understand what is best for you in your diving conditions. It is also the reason new divers often buy more traditions BC's (I.E. let the manufacturer tell you what they think you need) rather than spend the time to research and figure out what is really needed for the specific diver and conditions.

In my personal stash, I have the Dive Rite Transpac soft plate system, the Dive Rite Transplate harness with SS plate, and the Halcyon Infinity with SS plate and weighted STA.

Everybody I know who has started with a comfort-type harness has gone to a simple webbing harness, because it works better.

You're diving in relatively cool water, so my guess is you're using steel tanks and would probably want a steel backplate and around 30 lbs of lift. You're about an hour and a half from Sydney; you might consider driving down to visit Dive Center Bondi, where they can run you through the choices for plates and wings in the Halcyon system. I'm not advocating buying Halcyon (although the Cinch system would probably meet your perceived need for a release system) but they would certainly be very knowledgeable people from whom to gain information about backplates and wings.

I don't dive a BP/W myself but my best friend does and he tried on quite a few and dove them all and really liked the Dive Rite system best. He felt they had superior quality with their rigs. I don't know exactly which system he has though.

OMS, DSS, Oxycheck, and Halcyon are all great suppliers. They all make quality products.

It really is personal choice. We all have different wants and needs.

I would go simple. BP, doughnut wing, single continuous webbing.

I'd go to your LDS they can help direct you. Everyone has opinions so as you dive more you'll fine tune your configuration to your liking.

I am diving a Oxycheq bp with a Oxycheq Mach V Extreme wing and a Dive Rite Hog harness and I have had no problems in or out of water with the basic harness. When you get in the water you can barely tell that its there at all. I wish that I could give more input but that is all that I have had experience with. I have heard many good things about Tobin over at Deep Sea Supply and his products though. Just do your research and you will not be dissappointed.

I'd stay away from OMS because their reputation for customer service is horrible, and there are lots of great choices for backplate/wing set ups. Oxycheq, Deep Sea Supply, Halcyon, and Dive rite are all good companies with well designed products and good customer service.

Go to the BC forum for much more information....this thread really belongs there.

And if you decide to deal with the imbeciles at Dive Centre Manly, speak slowly, and if you choose to utilise their expensive express post option to a private address, DO NOT.
Specify Registered Post so your very expensive gear doesn't sit on your streetfront exposed doorstep for three days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom