Which BP/W system to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing not mentioned
If you really need a little shoulder strap padding while wearing your rig without a suit, you can slip a neoprene sleeve made for that over the webbing

Good quality BP&W gear is out there.
Tobin (coolhardware52) at DSS has a following because of his gear, and his customer service .. not to mention his help here on the board

Here's a photo of Dive Rite's CEO Lamar Hires using an adjustable harness BCD.

I'm sure that Mr. Hires doesn't know anything about technical diving unlike the SB DIR experts.:wink:

Perhaps one of you guys can go teach him before he dies while diving without a continuous harness BPW.

lamar5.jpg

So you think they should stop making their trans plate and hog harness just cus of that picture??? :rofl3:

SangP

I don't think I can ever remember a time that I would have wanted to take my gear off prior to getting on the boat. This includes many days going out with Frank Hammett, who would take us on tech dives, even if the seas got to 7 to 10 feet ( though typically this would be an end of dive scenario, more than a before you go out scenario).
Frank had a platform that slanted down actually into the water. Bigger waves would make getting back on board easy, as long as you watched for the rythym of the
platform ups and downs...you would just time it, and "belly up" like a Killer whale at Sea World....at no time are you helpless, being beaten up by waves, and without air to breathe...and you always have your fins on, so if need be, you are always able to propel yourself where you need to go.
Frank's boat was easy for this even in flat water, as the platform actually went into the water. On many diveboats, even with ladders, as long as you have a decent wave height, bellying up is quite easy.
Anyway, I hate ladder boats....and I don't like ungearing before getting back on. I'd have to have a really good reason. This would be almost onconditionally for diving a single tank rig. With doubles, there would be situations with deco where you would avoid the exertion potential, and undo gear with aid of a safety diver
in-water...and with large wave heights and some boats, then yes..ungearing may need to occur. But never with single tank :).

DanV

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a photo of Dive Rite's CEO Lamar Hires using an adjustable harness BCD.

I'm sure that Mr. Hires doesn't know anything about technical diving unlike the SB DIR experts.:wink:

Perhaps one of you guys can go teach him before he dies while diving without a continuous harness BPW.

fnfalman, I would suggest taking your first technical diving class in doubles before rendering such strong opinions on a subject you obviously know so little about...

I'd be more concerned about diving board shorts in the quite warm water of Maitland.
Do you dive next to a power plant?

I don't think I can ever remember a time that I would have wanted to take my gear off prior to getting on the boat. This includes many days going out with Frank Hammett, who would take us on tech dives, even if the seas got to 7 to 10 feet ( though typically this would be an end of dive scenario, more than a before you go out scenario).
Frank had a platform that slanted down actually into the water. Bigger waves would make getting back on board easy, as long as you watched for the rythym of the
platform ups and downs...you would just time it, and "belly up" like a Killer whale at Sea World....at no time are you helpless, being beaten up by waves, and without air to breathe...and you always have your fins on, so if need be, you are always able to propel yourself where you need to go.
Frank's boat was easy for this even in flat water, as the platform actually went into the water. On many diveboats, even with ladders, as long as you have a decent wave height, bellying up is quite easy.
Anyway, I hate ladder boats....and I don't like ungearing before getting back on. I'd have to have a really good reason. This would be almost onconditionally for diving a single tank rig. With doubles, there would be situations with deco where you would avoid the exertion potential, and undo gear with aid of a safety diver
in-water...and with large wave heights and some boats, then yes..ungearing may need to occur. But never with single tank :).

DanV

Dan,

Generally I agree, swim platforms are a good thing, and ladders vary from near impossible to challenging with doubles.

Add in diving from inflatables / RIBs / Yaks / small pangas and it not uncommon to reboard the boat without your gear.

The point remains that getting out of a Hogarthian harness in the water is pretty easy, and you can keep a reg in your mouth while you do it.

Tobin

Dan,

Generally I agree, swim platforms are a good thing, and ladders vary from near impossible to challenging with doubles.

Add in diving from inflatables / RIBs / Yaks / small pangas and it not uncommon to reboard the boat without your gear.

The point remains that getting out of a Hogarthian harness in the water is pretty easy, and you can keep a reg in your mouth while you do it.

Tobin

Absolutely agreed! It is so easy, I am not sure I can even think of it as a "skill"...any more than being able to pull off your own fins is a "skill". If someone had a hard time with this, they either had it rigged badly, or they were suffering from a physical injury/handicap of a proportion... that discussion of their issue would have zero relation to divers without severe injuries...

And yes, I would not do well trying to climb onto a 19 foot surfski with my tank still on :)

Regards,
Dan

Sure lots of divers here advocate continuous harness but how many of them dive only in ideal conditions.

Goodness! I suppose swells in the Red Sea big enough that they warned us about the RIB capsizing qualify as "ideal conditions"? We took our gear off in the water there. We took our gear off in the water when we were diving off Monterey in May, and the conditions were rough enough that Phil wouldn't take us to the place we had originally intended to go.

I heartily second the statement that, if you can't get a continuous harness off in the water, it's too tight. I had my harnesses too tight for a long time, until I worked with Bob Sherwood. At the end of my session with him, I was AMAZED at how much he had loosened the thing, and getting in and out of it in the water is now utterly trivial. And no, I don't do it over my head, although I'm kind of intrigued with trying it :)

Well......

I went from a TUSA BCD to a used H BP/W with a hog harness back in 2004......

After many years of diving the Pioneer wing was starting to show some wear so I just bought a new HOG wing......

At that time I went to a DiveRite TransPlate harness.....on sale for $109......

Why?.....due to ease of adjustability.....here in CNY, I alternate between my wetsuit, wetsuit with hooded vest and drysuit all the time, even in the middle of summer....the river is nice and warm, some lakes are a bit colder and deep in some lakes it gets very, very cold.....

Now a hog rig is adjustable but the stiff webbing gets set.....and making adjustments is not so easy......but with the new harness it is very easy to let a couple inches out on the shoulder straps when needed.....

A side benefit is the quick release, we do remove our gear to get back into RIB's, I agree a properly adjusted hog is not so bad but unclipping one strap is easier.....

So I will keep my new harness, as it works for me......

I guess I could have looked at the H Cinch system, but I am pleased with the TransPlate Harness......:D

M

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 54
So you think they should stop making their trans plate and hog harness just cus of that picture??? :rofl3:

SangP

Far be it for me to suggest to Dive Rite to make whatever they think is good enough to dive in. I'm not that narcissistic.

But I'd suggest that if Hog harness (which Dive Rite still sells) is the only way to go then Mr. Lamar Hires would have been using it.

Unless you telling me that Mr. Hires doesn't know anything about diving and should switch to a Hog harness because he hadn't been Doing It Right?:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom