Which fins for me? Help me narrow it down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olivia Chillia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still very new to diving and have not seriously begun to shop for fins. Right now I feel that there are too many basic things to work on to think about buying fins right away.

What would you advise the new diver to consider when selecting a fin?
Anything I should avoid as a novice?
Anything I should definitely try?

What do fin springs do?

Is there anything about fins you wish someone had told you (before you found out yourself, probably the hard way)?

I wish someone had told me about ScubaPro Jetfins before I bought my Cressi Frogs. :wink:

Spring heel straps are preferred over normals straps because normal rubber straps have a tendency to break, right when you need them. It might not be within your first year or two of diving, but after a while they'll wear down.

Scubapro Jets or Mares Quattros are the best. Buy spring straps as well.

SparticleBrane:
I wish someone had told me about ScubaPro Jetfins before I bought my Cressi Frogs. :wink:
You took my answer :D. I have a pair of Aqualung full foot fins sitting in my closet that will never be used again. Once I tried the Jetfins I knew I would never want to wear anything else again. Some people say they are too heavy for warm water diving, but I don't find them heavy at all. I'm pretty small too. But that's MY preference. You need to find what yours is.

Try to get your LDS to let you try a few different pairs in the pool and see if you like one over the other.

Katz:
Scubapro Jets or Mares Quattros are the best. Buy spring straps as well.

Now now, don't go saying that anything fin wise is the absolute best. Fin performance is so opinion base that no one can say "This is the best, Get this!". We all have our favorites but what is right for one person is likely not the best for another. OP, do yourself a favor and see if you can try a few in the pool before you buy. Here are some that are favored among forums members:

SP Twin Jets/Jets
SP Twin speed
Atomic Splitfin
Tusa X-Pert Zoom
Mares avanti quattro
Mares Quattro Excel
Apollo Biofins
Mares Volo/Volo power

There are more but that is a good list to look at and decide you preferences. For instance, try a splitfin vs. paddle and see which you like. Whichever you prefer you can eliminate roughly half the fins from that list.

Good luck :D

Scuba Pro Jet fins. Best fins . When I had to get new fins because of my rock boots I went with Scuba Pro Twin jets. Love them almost as much. Just picked up a old pair or xl Scuba Pro Jets at a garage sale and they seem to fit my rock boots. Next dive I will try them out and if they fit, then I will go back to jets then.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Charles

I love my Atomic Aquatics, they are fabulous! It's all very personal. Read reviews here and any other place you can find, then try out what you can. scubadiving.com has reviews from Scubalab that are sometimes really helpful. Their web site has been having problems lately, just look for gear section, then search for fin reviews.

Good luck!
C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

I have the Tusa X-pert Zoom fins in all black (slightly stiffer than the other colors) and love them. They're great for diving and snorkeling as well. :D

I have both the Apollo and the Twin Jets... for me, I like the Twins. And by the way, I don't care for the spring straps (I must be weird), but they hurt my ankles.

If you think you may want to use finning techniques other than the flutter kick something along the lines of the jet fin would be your best choice. If not get what feels good on your foot.

Back
Top Bottom