Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One piece webbing/harness on a stainless steel Halcyon plate adopting the Hogarthian style of diving, both single and doubles. I believe Halcyon is the best product out there .... for me in any case.

I believe Holycon err sorry Halcyon products are the apple of the diving world - same quality and performance as another brand that costs half as much :)

It's the gloves and hood that make it all the more disturbing. Really, truly disturbing. lol

Haters gonna hate.

Go kanonfodr! :)

I myself have been diving a hog harness for fifteen dives. I love it. It has a lot fewer places to clip things then my last BCD, but through forcing myself to figure out what to ditch, I have become more streamlined.

BP&W with Hog Harness can still easily 'absorb' the dive kit you need for teaching. However, a wet/drysuit pocket, or x-shorts, is a good way to store the clutter.

Here's how I do it, without sacrificing streamlining:

DSMB (5): Bungeed to the bottom of the backplate.
Finger Reel (3): Double-end bolt snap to the left hip D-ring.
SPG (4): Bolt snap to the left hip D-ring.
Whistle: On a split-ring attached to the left chest D-ring.
Slates & Waterproof notebook (6): Wetsuit pocket.
LED Torch (1): Boltsnap to the right chest D-ring, then secured under a loop of bungee on the chest strap.
Knife (2): In sheath on the waist harness.

4995516948_8c1a2499fc_z.jpg

Really? Do fill us in. Most of us have been completely missing these and inadvertently putting our lives at risk.

There has been a fair bit of discussion about a local (SOCAL) diver who died recently. He was wearing a BP/W which may have been set up too tight and the guys trying to rescue him couldn't get it off of him easily. If there had been a quick release on the straps it would have gone faster. I am not really sure if it would have made a difference but it might have. Yes in the water, properly adjusted and trimmed there is minimal weight on the straps but in a rescue situation maybe not so easy. In any case, I am still not convinced that plastic buckles inspected every 5 years or so are any more of a failure point than a piece of nylon webbing. At the moment I am diving with a freedom plate, Oxycheq wing and one-piece webbing but my wife kind of is pushing me to add a quick connect so that when I hit my head, she can get me out of my harness.

Bill

In an emergency situation ... cut the straps. You'll be out of that rig in no time flat.

Buy her a set of sea snips.

I have a friend with the Halcyon quick-cinch who couldn't easily ditch her gear. She ended up putting in a left-side buckle. I don't have any trouble with the shoulder straps on my hog harness, nor have any of my buddies who I practice D&R with, but I've heard of other people having problems. It sort of makes sense that the shoulder straps on the quick-cinch would be a lot tighter, though.

I never have problems getting out of my rig on a boat or underwater, but...

My wife and I were recently drift diving in Mexico from a Panga (20-foot open boat with outboard engine) and the SOP there was to slip out of your rig at the surface and hand it up, before you clambered up and over the side into the boat. There were one or two times when getting out of the BP/W rig took a little work - something about being on the surface makes it harder to do.

I agree with those who say plastic buckles are safe enough, but if that was an issue you could use a metal buckle. I just don't like extraneous stuff, and for me, the less stuff the better.

Mike, if you were in a wetsuit and it was difficult, I'd suggest you try loosening the shoulder straps a little, and taking up the crotch strap. The way Bob Sherwood left me with my harness, it is beyond trivial to get out of it, even with the wing inflated.

I can testify that even our sawed-off steak knives will cut harness webbing like butter, especially if wielded with a bit of adrenaline. Unlike, I think, most people on this board, I have been involved in an attempted rescue of a diver in a backplate. I no longer worry about my lack of releases at all.

Back
Top Bottom