Who hates their White Fusion Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 3 dives with the 2XL/3XL Fusion Tech, the jury is still out. I think the suit works fine, has great mobility, and is not terribly difficult to get into and out of. The overly large inner bag creates some some difficulty on occasion locating the leg and arm holes among the many folds. It also makes for large bubbles in the arms.

My main concern at this point is the nature of a shell suit above the water. Both days, despite tactics designed to minimize the time between fully suited and immersed, I was very over-heated at the time of entry for the first dive. I wore two undergarments, a heavily lined skin (Oztech Diveskins XTR) under the White's MK2. The air was cool both days, with overcast one day and sunlight but stiff breeze the second. The overheating was less of a problem on the second dive of the day, no doubt due to the swamp cooler effect of the outer skin.

My only comparison is the ONeill 7mm uncompressed suit I've been using, where I can pull it down to my waist or thighs and remain comfortable even in direct sunshine, as I wear only either a plain or lightly flocked skin beneath the suit. I may switch to the MK3 undergarment, as I was cold at 30 minutes on all dives. Even with only one insulating undergarment, the time to fully don the upper half of both the undergarment and the suit seems like it's going to be much longer than required for the neoprene suit, and there will be times when the ambient conditions are a lot hotter. I'm pretty intolerant of over-heating - others seemed to be able to wear their garments and suits awhile prior to the dive. One guy even fully suited up in the parking lot prior to boarding the boat. I also just don't recall heating up so quickly with the neoprene suit, even after fully buttoning it up. Maybe the neoprene insulates better against external heating.

On the plus side, I'd say I prefer the silicone seals of the White's suit to the neoprene ones on the ONeill, for both ease of donning/positioning and comfort. I also stayed drier in the White's suit than I ever have in the ONeill. Even when I took a big chunk out of one of the wrist seals while releasing the MK2 thumb loop - all the way beyond the last marking ring - I only got wet about 6 inches up that arm. The ring system made short work of installing the new seal.

To deal with the overheating issue, I keep a big bottle of water to wet the suit down with. Makes a HUGE difference.

To deal with the overheating issue, I keep a big bottle of water to wet the suit down with. Makes a HUGE difference.

Cheers, I'll try that. Air temps in the 20s but water still 14 I'm worried I'm going to have a heart attack walking from the car park to the beach.

If you dive in breakwater, there is a shower behind the bathroom on the pier side. Once you d-on, you can go to that shower, it should keep you cool for a bit longer. On other dive site, I would dip into the ocean between d-on and gear up. There isn't really much you can do except this and shorten the time between d-on and go diving.

White is not a bad suit. If you already got it, and it keeps your dry, by all mean enjoy it.

After 3 dives with the 2XL/3XL Fusion Tech, the jury is still out. I think the suit works fine, has great mobility, and is not terribly difficult to get into and out of. The overly large inner bag creates some some difficulty on occasion locating the leg and arm holes among the many folds. It also makes for large bubbles in the arms.

My main concern at this point is the nature of a shell suit above the water. Both days, despite tactics designed to minimize the time between fully suited and immersed, I was very over-heated at the time of entry for the first dive. I wore two undergarments, a heavily lined skin (Oztech Diveskins XTR) under the White's MK2. The air was cool both days, with overcast one day and sunlight but stiff breeze the second. The overheating was less of a problem on the second dive of the day, no doubt due to the swamp cooler effect of the outer skin.

My only comparison is the ONeill 7mm uncompressed suit I've been using, where I can pull it down to my waist or thighs and remain comfortable even in direct sunshine, as I wear only either a plain or lightly flocked skin beneath the suit. I may switch to the MK3 undergarment, as I was cold at 30 minutes on all dives. Even with only one insulating undergarment, the time to fully don the upper half of both the undergarment and the suit seems like it's going to be much longer than required for the neoprene suit, and there will be times when the ambient conditions are a lot hotter. I'm pretty intolerant of over-heating - others seemed to be able to wear their garments and suits awhile prior to the dive. One guy even fully suited up in the parking lot prior to boarding the boat. I also just don't recall heating up so quickly with the neoprene suit, even after fully buttoning it up. Maybe the neoprene insulates better against external heating.

On the plus side, I'd say I prefer the silicone seals of the White's suit to the neoprene ones on the ONeill, for both ease of donning/positioning and comfort. I also stayed drier in the White's suit than I ever have in the ONeill. Even when I took a big chunk out of one of the wrist seals while releasing the MK2 thumb loop - all the way beyond the last marking ring - I only got wet about 6 inches up that arm. The ring system made short work of installing the new seal.

Still love my Fusion, got it when they first came out.

Yes, they are "weird" but fantastic suits.

If you dive in breakwater, there is a shower behind the bathroom on the pier side. Once you d-on, you can go to that shower, it should keep you cool for a bit longer. On other dive site, I would dip into the ocean between d-on and gear up. There isn't really much you can do except this and shorten the time between d-on and go diving.

White is not a bad suit. If you already got it, and it keeps your dry, by all mean enjoy it.
Thanks, I had forgotten about that shower, but til now have been parking above the lawn. The overheating issue is not specific to White's, I'm still just considering whether it's a bit worse with a shell suit and the heavy undergarments. The front entry option is a big plus for me. I definitely like the feel and mobility of the suit over the 7mm neoprene, and the silicon seals. I can see keeping the Whites even if a better ultra-cold option comes to light.

This is a great idea, thanks.

My first drysuit was a Whites Fusion Bullet. The ONLY thing about it that I don't like is getting in & out of it, oh and putting on the rock boots before zipping up. I bought a new USIA Techniflex last month and it is much easier to get in and out of.

As for the all these folks saying that you have to dive 25-30 dives to get used to the suit, well, I don't agree with that. I felt that my buoyancy improved over my 7-8 mm wetsuit immediately. I love the way my Bullet dives, I just don't like donning/doffing it.

When it comes to drying out the bullet, yeah it takes some time but I hang it up in the garage or laundry room and put a fan on it and it is ~80% dry over night even in the winter.

Bubble management? Never been an issue in the Bullet. IMO, if you have that big of a bubble to "manage" you have too much gas in your suit. I keep just enough gas in the suit to keep the squeeze down and use my BC for buoyancy. I was taught to use DS for buoyancy and then later re-taught to use my BC instead. I am much more comfortable in the water now than before. It is true that it adds a little more tasking to your dive but not enough to stress about. I descend and add a little squirt of gas to my suit when needed to keep the squeeze reduced otherwise I leave it alone and so all I have to do is adjust buoyancy with my BP&W.

I can agree with the mobility of the hard ring for the replaceable neck seal but thee cool thing is that SiTech has come out with a flexible ring now (I added it to my Techniflex) that is very comfortable. When I tried on my new DS to check the fit I almost didn't know he ring was there. In my Bullet I can't reach my valve at all.

When my son was shopping for a new DS, we looked at a lightly used Fusion. After he tried it on, we both concluded that the Fusion was too much of a PITA to don. Personally, I doubt if I'd take it if I got it for next to nothing; I'd much rather have a Scubapro Everdry 4 (which both of us have owned), or a Seeman Challenger (which he ended up buying) if I were to buy a neoprene DS. Those two layers and the weird zipper didn't sit well with me.

The longer I own my Fusion Tech (~70 dives), the more I like it. Donning is less and less struggle with practice. I've come to appreciate the zipper design, which is symmetrical and comfortable to wear unzipped between dives, yet also enables self-zipping.

A month ago I demoed a DUI suit and actually found it harder to don than my Fusion, especially with Zip-gloves installed. Also slightly more awkward to wear unzipped between dives. I'm not convinced that the "telescoping torso" and diagonal zipper design is a superior one, though so many suit makers do it that way. It has its own issues IMO.

On balance, I believe there is no "perfect" drysuit for everyone... each design comes with its own strengths and challenges.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom