Why do so many lose interest in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just think how happy you'd be if you lived two hours from some "real" skiing. :rofl3:
Lessee... 1) 10 feet of snow fall down in September and up until early June you got periodic interstate closures and loss of lictricity and interwebs? 2) On the 4th of July the hills catch fire from some idjit's flashbang and everything is covered in smoke till late August? 3) Goto 1.

...Time
...Location
...Money

I love diving but i just don't get the time to do it as often as i would like, i can imagine somebody who doesn't LOVE it but are just interested losing that interest if they don't get the time to do it. For me time is also basically because of my location. Almost all dive sites are by boat and the better ones are on the other island, and this leads to money, unless i own a boat i have to dive with an operator, which significantly increases the cost per dive than if i were doing it alone.

Great thread!

My 2PSI.

I am one who got certified to impress a girl! Actually, I loved the water and it sounded fun and I thought of it as a way to develop a common interest. That girl is long gone and after about a 7 year hiatus I got back into diving for myself. Been a long run since and I have had many awesome trips and loved every minute of it.

I think that if you are truly not deep into diving as a hobby, then it could be that a dive is a dive. Once you have seen the rocks, reefs, and fishies what is left? We do have to be honest that in general terms a reef is a reef and a fish is a fish. There has to be something more to keep us interested. For me wrecks and small critters became the draw. Also the cultural part of diving in foreign lands. Unless there is a big social reason (read: a new girl or a group of friends I want to hang out with) the Caribbean is now boring as can be. Rock. reef, fish, swimthrough. Rock. reef, fish, swimthrough. Lather, rinse, repeat! Yawn.

Also I have to say I am nearing the end and for me it is primarily due to air travel. Air travel SUCKS!!! Might as well slap a barcode on us and call us cargo!! And believe me they would if they could find a way to render us unconscious. Airlines nickel and diming us, leaving us at airports in foreign lands with no support, taking all of our choices away and taking no responsibility for our needs. Restricting this, prohibiting that. Narrowing and de-pitching seats, and the list goes on and on.

I shudder any time I have to think of air travel. Just not worth it anymore.

Also I have to say I am nearing the end and for me it is primarily due to air travel. Air travel SUCKS!!! Might as well slap a barcode on us and call us cargo!! And believe me they would if they could find a way to render us unconscious. Airlines nickel and diming us, leaving us at airports in foreign lands with no support, taking all of our choices away and taking no responsibility for our needs. Restricting this, prohibiting that. Narrowing and de-pitching seats, and the list goes on and on.

I shudder any time I have to think of air travel. Just not worth it anymore.

Sounds like something that can be solved by buying a one way ticket.

Get up at o-dark thirty, having packed the night before, and drive 1.5 hours to charter dock. Lug a bunch of heavy gear onto a boat after shelling out $$ for the charter. 45 min - 1 hour run, suit up, splash, and have a 20 - 50 minute dive (the high end only being 20 min of bottom time, and half of it in deco on an anchor line over deep water), get out, and repeat after an hour SI. Head back, unload the boat into vehicle. Travel home, unpack, dry everything, and put away.... 10+ hours for < 40 minutes of bottom time...... and 4-5 months out of the year?????
. . .

This comes closest to what I was going to say.

It's so easy to get certified these days, but new divers soon realize IT'S A LOT OF WORK.

My wife and I were out hiking in the mountains last weekend, and I remarked to my wife how easy it was to just head out and go hiking compared to the time and effort it would have taken if we had gone diving even at the nearest lake.

Also, it can be difficult to determine who has really lost interest or dropped out, since people might take a hiatus for a year or more. I have some friends who got certified because they had planned a trip to Australia and thought they oughta dive there--which they did--and when they returned they bought all their gear, took a couple of trips to Cozumel, and as far as I know their last dive was 2-3 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they dive again at some point.

Get up at o-dark thirty, having packed the night before, and drive 1.5 hours to charter dock. Lug a bunch of heavy gear onto a boat after shelling out $$ for the charter. 45 min - 1 hour run, suit up, splash, and have a 20 - 50 minute dive (the high end only being 20 min of bottom time, and half of it in deco on an anchor line over deep water), get out, and repeat after an hour SI. Head back, unload the boat into vehicle. Travel home, unpack, dry everything, and put away.... 10+ hours for < 40 minutes of bottom time...... and 4-5 months out of the year?????

It's so easy to get certified these days, but new divers soon realize IT'S A LOT OF WORK.

When I vacation dived exclusively, I never realized how much work diving was. Now it consumes an ENTIRE Saturday from packing the car at 6AM to hanging the rinsed gear at midnight. Nothing else I do is that much work! Time to move closer to good diving.

As a new diver who really has a lot of fun when I'm in the water but who hates the prep time and the gear hauling, I agree with the "it's a lot of work" opinion. The idea of hauling all the gear and getting suited up for a shore dive is not appealing, and then the rest of the day after the dive we're exhausted and just want to nap and lay around. It really takes a half-day away from you, sometimes more. Of course once you're in the water it all seems worth it, so that's what keeps us coming back for more. I imagine if someone is uncomfortable in the water or just isn't the adventurous type who enjoys never knowing what you'll see next, it would be the nail in the coffin.

On a side note, we're going to Grand Cayman in December and my husband found a valet diving shop that basically handles everything for you. When he told me that I was a thousand times more excited to dive on vacation, lol. Someone else hauling around those heavy tanks for me and I just have to show up, check it out, strap in, and go? Yes, please! :biggrin:

When I saw the thread topic (started like 5 HOURS ago) I'm not surprised mine is post #48. I took OW course 10 years ago because I moved from Manitoba to Nova Scotia and am a life long shell collector. Species up North are limited, but not so down South and in the tropics. Then I took more advanced courses and eventually DM. As a former teacher this played into my wheel house. My personal diving here in NS can be boring at times, but it's just a thing I do--and occasionally a nice shell appears. Some people have a huge passion for diving. I've played clarinet since 1964 and still do professionally and practise daily. Do I "love it"? I dunno. You have to have a good reason to continue diving, or at least it has to be something that defines you--at the very least it's just something you just do. If not, you quit.

Oh, and another thing that most scuba enthusiasts never consider because it doesn't apply to them - quite a lot of people can never get comfortable with the gear. I don't mean finding a BC that fits right, I mean they're overwhelmed by the technical aspects of how the gear works and want nothing to do with it. I recently told my dentist that we're into diving and she said she and her husband got certified years ago, but that she was always really nervous that something would malfunction and she never even put her own reg on her tank in fear that she was "doing it wrong". She curiously asked me if I was nervous about all the gear and I honestly said no, because that part doesn't bother me one bit. She said her husband was the same and they never dove together outside of the classes because they didn't trust themselves to know how to use the gear properly. She's obviously not stupid, having gone through dental school and whatnot, but some people just don't have any confidence when it comes to stuff like that.

I dove in New England when I first started. But I got tired of the hassles involved in diving around here, plus it was pretty much an all-day affair to get 2 dives in. While I know plenty of people love diving here, after awhile there just wasn't enough reward in it for me, plus too many other things to do. So local diving faded away after a couple years, especially after the first warm water trip. If I couldn't afford dive trips I'd likely have given it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom