Why do so many lose interest in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This, from a man who has obviously never eaten breakfast while in ski boots. :rofl3:
I've tried both, and IMO the ski boot-wearing breakfast is the most convenient. By a large margin. Even if I have half-decent shore diving only 15 minutes' drive from my house.

Although we don't get too much snow these days, so the point is rather moot...

This, from a man who has obviously never eaten breakfast while in ski boots. :rofl3:

At least with skiing, after you drive two hrs, you get to spend all day on the slopes, with a large percentage of it actually skiing. Probably a much larger percentage than you spend actually diving unless you're on a live-aboard.

Many divers get certified for a specific trip, but thereafter they are not active. Divers who own their own gear, take an occasional specialty class or other continuing diver education, and who dive regularly, rarely abandon the sport. If someone wants to have a one time experience, I'm glad they go through a certification course rather than just the so called "resort course."
DivemasterDennis

Divers who own their own gear, take an occasional specialty class or other continuing diver education, and who dive regularly, rarely abandon the sport.

If you are implying a causal relationship, you probably have it backwards.

Owning gear, taking classes, and diving regularly doesn't cause people to stick with diving. Sticking with diving causes people to buy gear, take classes, and dive regularly.

Diving is expensive, time consuming, hard to be good at if you don't do it enough, somewhat dangerous and hard work if you do it in cold water. Why would anybody do it?

Diving is expensive, time consuming, hard to be good at if you don't do it enough, somewhat dangerous and hard work if you do it in cold water. Why would anybody do it?

But at least the gear is uncomfortable and you look funny.

[video=youtube;pBWcRqPesws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBWcRqPesws[/video]

Time. Money. Interest. Lifestyle changes. You name it.

They were never interested to begin with, just thought they were. Reasons not to take up SCUBA diving:

1. Impress women, note removed thread of a few weeks ago.
2. No good at golf.
3. You get to wear cool looking rubber outfits and color coordinate your outfit
4. You always wanted to be a Navy SEAL but it was too much work
5. You are afraid of the water and this might help with your phobia and with a mask you do not have to hold your nose.
6. You want a relaxing hobby.

The gear is heavy, diving is expensive, travel is increasingly difficult, many parts of the world are not friendly, and a lot of people have to work and meter out their free time between family, other interests and SCUBA diving gets the short end.

And dozens more.

N

All divers give it up eventually.

I am realizing I am approaching the point of giving it up. At my peak, I was doing 100+ dives a year. Local, more distant drive to destinations, and fly to dive vacations. I have stopped local diving. It has just turned into more of an effort than it is worth. Policy changes with some of the dive ops I used to enjoy 2 or three times a year have made those trip more expensive and less enjoyable than they used to be. So now, I am just making a few trips each year to some Caribbean destinations. And I am seeing my interest in those waning.

I am getting old and I'm sure that is some of it. I do still enjoy the dives but just not as much. But the overhead (not the cost but the nut-roll and disappointments) is starting to take its toll. I passed up a trip to Bonaire last month. Wife/buddy was OK with going but we just decided we were OK without it. We are getting ready for a trip to Cayman next months. I don't believe that will be my last trip, but I do realize it could be.

Back
Top Bottom