Why do you Lie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why did the DM lie? We say that Scuba is not a competitive sport, but it really is. We all want the most, the deepest, the longest, to use the least amount of air and so forth.

And THAT is it in a nutshell! :thumb:

Wow, OK. Well, if you come over and grab my gauge then our buddy time is officially over. I'll do the rest of the dive solo.

Criminal? You really can't be serious.

Do you really walk onto the boat with all of this attitude? Maybe you're completely different on the boat and on the dive, but here you're coming across as something entirely different.

I'm not really understanding what everyone is so upset about here. We're ALL assuming the insta lied. How do you know he didn't misread his gauge? Either way, he found himself at 500psi at 80 feet. I guess I'm gonna be the first one here to say "So what?" 500psi is more than enough to get from 80 to 15 and still do a safety stop. If he ran short at 15 he could have skipped the last bit of the safety stop or gone to the OP's octo. Again, no big deal.

We do solo ascents all the time in Cozumel. Go up with your buddy or go up by yourself. Not an issue.

Maybe "grab" was a poor choice in words....how about gently take. I did not mean to imply an assault but a lot more subtle approach. Odds are I will remove it and look without you ever knowing it. If me gently checking your gauge for myself ends out buddy team, so be it but at least I know I am not going to have to deal with a panicked diver who is OOA.

You are confusing "attitude" with confidence and situational awareness.

I may remember wrong
His banishment remains a mystery to all but ScubaBoard staff and himself. That's as it should be! :D

I don't mind buddying up with new or infrequent divers at home in the quarry, and I'm always glad to help any way necessary. However, when I'm on vacation, I'm not wasting a dive tending to them or cutting a dive short because they are low on air. I don't mean to say I wouldn't help a diver in distress, just that I plan on getting my money's worth...

This I believe is the kind of attitude which prompts people to lie.

Maybe "grab" was a poor choice in words....how about gently take. I did not mean to imply an assault but a lot more subtle approach. Odds are I will remove it and look without you ever knowing it.

I wouldn't want to dive with the person you could do that to. I doubt anyone could unclip my SPG and replace it without me knowing it.

This I believe is the kind of attitude which prompts people to lie.

Based on what? Am I to understand you are saying that because a person says, "If you run low early, I will send you up the line and continue the dive by myself.", that the buddy would lie?

First, anyone who uses "someone else's attitude" as an excuse to lie about their air consumption is weird on so many levels it's unfathomable.

2nd, on my limited experience, that is NOT the way it happens.

On my first insta-buddy dive, gas checks quickly showed 'buddy' was using roughly 600psi to my 500psi. No problem. Then when I said I had 1000, he hesitated and came back with 1100. While I was :huh:, I figured we might have mis-communicated earlier. The next dive, he always had 100psi more than I. It wasn't adding up. When I signaled 1000psi & thumb, our ascent number, he just gave me an "ok". I insistently thumbed, and we went up. Hanging out on a bouncing line, I spotted his needle clearly at the midpoint of the red zone on his SPG.

I carried a pony, and I offered him the pony. He pretended he didn't know why. Once on the boat, he confessed to someone that he had only 300 psi when he came aboard. I suspect it was closer to 100psi.

Nope, it isn't about somebody else's attitude -- it is pure 100% ego and I will thumb a dive in a heartbeat, now, to tell that person I won't dive with him - or her, should I run into a 'her' with that problem.

I wouldn't want to dive with the person you could do that to. I doubt anyone could unclip my SPG and replace it without me knowing it.
Who needs to unclip it? I just need a 15 degree view of the face plate to see the approximate placement of the needle. Positioning makes that easy to do.

Nope, not a chance. If anything I'd hear your reg way before you got that close. I don't want to dive with anyone that feels like they have to 2nd guess me on my air. Herman do you really want to dive with someone that makes you feel like you HAVE to look at their gauge?

-Charles

I think this is where you went wrong. You shouldn't count on other divers to carry around your "emergency supply" unless it is explicitly discussed as such.
I agree AND disagree. It depends on the situation. If I know the person I am diving with and we plan to do a buddy dive (my usual buddy and I dive team, S.O.B. and solo) then he is carrying my reserve and I his, no ifs ands or buts. I trust him to read his guage so an OK means OK, one of us will turn when appropriate.

I do not ever trust an instabuddy to tell the truth. I am almost always pleasantly surprised and can begin to build a relationship during the vacation, but not at first. I think most divers are ok really, we tend to focus on the bad stuff here, which is generally a small percentage of our overall dive experience.
Why did the DM lie? We say that Scuba is not a competitive sport, but it really is. We all want the most, the deepest, the longest, to use the least amount of air and so forth.

A large ego is a sign of a small...self esteem:D

Some people just need to be the best, or the most radical. It is how they measure their self worth, and even if they have to make it up, they will do whatever it takes to feel good about themselves.

It sucks and you have to draw the line if you are relying on them in a safety critical role.

Nope, not a chance. If anything I'd hear your reg way before you got that close. I don't want to dive with anyone that feels like they have to 2nd guess me on my air. Herman do you really want to dive with someone that makes you feel like you HAVE to look at their gauge?
I don't get the privacy thing here. If it makes my buddy a bit more comfortable to look at my gauge, then why not? How is that hurting me one bit?

I expect my buddy to communicate with me and that's a two way street: a give and take. A yin and a yang.

What do you do when you see something cool? You share.
What do you do when your buddy asks where the boat is? You share.
What do you do when your buddy is anxious about the temp/time/depth/N2 loading? You share.
Anything that reduces my buddy's stress makes our mutual dive more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom