Why not SPG under the left arm to left Chest D ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the idea that one should do what works for them. Its been mentioned multiple times above. But there is a reason many Hogartian and DIR style divers tie it to the left hip D-ring. It's time tested technique and in my opnion should not be dismissed readily.

What type of diving is this for? Low risk and recreational diving you can do whatever you want. More demanding diving, I can't imagine wanting to clip my spg to my L chest d ring when I already have a back up light, a corrugated hose in that area, and 2 deco bottles all clipped/around there. The L hip is tried and true. Like others have said when you get good at gas estimation you're looking at it so much less frequently it's a non issue.

Edit: just realized this is in the basic section. There's no reason in general that you can't set it up like you're suggesting under the arm or over the shoulder to make it easier to quickly glance at if it works well for you.

My SPG goes through my armhole and just sits there. In fact, I have it on right side too. Does not catch on anything, easy to look at and can never "get lost".

Most of my rig is DIR ...most.. thinking about switching my SPG from me left hip D ring to under the left arm, and onto my left Chest D ring. There I could literally glance down and not even have to remove it to read it. I cant think of any Cons... please fire away..
Exactly what I do.

But there is a reason many Hogartian and DIR style divers tie it to the left hip D-ring.

Agree completely, but that has a lot to do with the chest D-ring being taken up with deco tanks, lights etc etc. Also, it makes it easier for a buddy to do a swim-by gas check on you if they feel the need.

For OW recreational diving, there's no problem with clipping it to the chest. Left side for preference since if you clip it to the right then its another thing to think about during a rescue but that's not a huge deal. Once you start using that left D-ring for stuff then it may take a little longer to get the muscle memory down for smoothly checking the pressure off the left hip but that's, again, not a huge deal.

I clip mine off to the left chest D ring too for exactly the same reason as the OP it's easier to read when doing other stuff like taking photos without having to reach down and unclip etc.

When stages are attached the left hip D ring is used as well as the left chest D ring, so it's a moot point really whether it's on the hip or chest.

When stages are attached the left hip D ring is used as well as the left chest D ring, so it's a moot point really whether it's on the hip or chest.

Maybe to avoid the possibility of misreading backgas vs stage SPG's?

Maybe to avoid the possibility of misreading backgas vs stage SPG's?

Well my stage SPGs are connected to the stages, it's unlikely with my set up to confuse them.

I just like to look down to my left and see the backgas SPG in a hands free manner.

As you know I also have a computer on both wrists facing inward and can glance at either wrist to check depth and NDL whilst taking photos.

A HUD would be perfect for me but I'm still old school when it comes to reliability of transmitters underwater, plus at best they can only handle up to two tanks as far as I know, but this is getting beyond the realms of the Basic forum.

Agree completely, but that has a lot to do with the chest D-ring being taken up with deco tanks, lights etc etc. Also, it makes it easier for a buddy to do a swim-by gas check on you if they feel the need.
Exactly what I thought. For normal diving without a stage there's no reason not to clip it where you want to. If you're diving with one or more stages, it could become busy on your left D-ring. I know for a fact that even the hip D-ring can become cluttered easyly with SPG, multiple stages en maybe a reel. I'am sure clipping SPG on left D-ring is fine, but I have build up muscle memory so to me it's a non issue clipping my SPG. I don't even have to think about it anymore. Took a while though to learn.

... How strong are the magnets? Will you notice if you snag on something and pull one away? ...

They are very strong and hold tight. You have to pull pretty hard to get it loose. And yes, I would notice, though I am very situationally aware, am not doing penetration or cave dives. I don't even do external wreck dives - not interested. Exactly what do you think I'm going to snag on? The coral? Not possible. I stay at least 5-10' away from anything solid . A passing fish maybe?

... Do other things get stuck on them, like a d-ring, bolt snap, or even your own steel tank? ...

They don't do that with d-rings (SS so not magnetic), bolt snap (brass or SS) and I can't imagine them attaching to my tank as I would never just release it to hang free. It's either in my hand or clipped.

... IMHO, a SPG should never be dragging, and a magnetic QD could allow it to happen. ...

Agree nothing should be more than a few inches from your body. Nothing should be dragging. Could allow it to pull free, maybe, but really unlikely, and not without me noticing. And again, on what?

... I've seen octo clips and mouthpiece holders come loose all the time. ...

Yep. I've had that happen to me. Hose clips are useless, octo holders that I have tried, the same. They come loose all too easily, are difficult to reattach properly, making it easier to think it's connected when it's not. These QR magnetic holders, no. I've never had one come loose. I've never had a problem reattaching. They snap into place hard and you know they are set.

Back
Top Bottom