Why should I get a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas:
And BTW you should not be exerting yourself during a dive at all.
Now you tell me.

Darned anchor... :wink:

Rick Inman:
Really? You can put in your age and how you feel and how hydrated you are? Cool. What kind is it?

Here is one guy explaining how computers tell you when it's ok to fly: POST

Here's another telling you how he does it: POST

So, how do you adjust for those conditions? Dive a bit more conservatively? Ok, you have to "adjust" the computer, but you have, with most computers, the ability to do just that... and, amazingly, it will follow those directions in the calculations.

And you young guys are always joking about age...

Puffer Fish:
Ok, you And you young guys are always joking about age...
That's the nicest thing I've been told all day. :D
Puffer Fish:
So, how do you adjust for those conditions? Dive a bit more conservatively? Ok, you have to "adjust" the computer, but you have, with most computers, the ability to do just that... and, amazingly, it will follow those directions in the calculations.
I guess my issue stems from the fact that, some time ago, I spent a day in the chamber after a dive following my computer. Granted, I did a ton of stuff wrong and I take responsibility for the hit, but the computer didn't know that. It said was good to go. So I started taking a more active roll in my own gas absorption and more personal responsibility, and I learned a way to feel much better without using the computer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-computer in general. I used V planner to plan my dive to 200' last Monday, and it's just a computer program. But I also know how to adjust my profile based on what I know about myself and how I feel on the dive. I don't know everything, but I keep learning and adjusting. And I know that I feel better than I ever did when I didn't take such an active roll and just dived the computer.

That's how I do it. Other people successfully do it differently.

Rick Inman:
That's the nicest thing I've been told all day. :D

I guess my issue stems from the fact that, some time ago, I spent a day in the chamber after a dive following my computer. Granted, I did a ton of stuff wrong and I take responsibility for the hit, but the computer didn't know that. It said was good to go. So I started taking a more active roll in my own gas absorption and more personal responsibility, and I learned a way to feel much better without using the computer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-computer in general. I used V planner to plan my dive to 200' last Monday, and it's just a computer program. But I also know how to adjust my profile based on what I know about myself and how I feel on the dive. I don't know everything, but I keep learning and adjusting. And I know that I feel better than I ever did when I didn't take such an active roll and just dived the computer.

That's how I do it. Other people successfully do it differently.

Since I do not drink coffee until the drive home after scuba, I have had no such problems, which simply may be stemming from dehydration due to caffiene?

Also, I double check all my repetitive dive plans with a very conservatively set V-Planner program. And I have found SUUNTO to be quite conservative as well, somewhat like V-Planner set on Option #4 for Conservatism.

But then, I am an old man and have stopped kidding myself about more aggressive settings. Therefore SUUNTO and V-Planner have worked well for me.

Mr. Inman, maybe you just need to start thinking more like an old man, and realize that you must know your limitations, just like Clint Eastwood said in his movies?

Ergo, I would not blame the dive computer.

nereas:
Mr. Inman, maybe you just need to start thinking more like an old man, .

He'll have plenty of time for that when he's old.

I am an intermediate diver who dives 2-3 times a year, but my two cents worth is this: a dive computer is a must.

Maybe I am in the minority position here, having read the previous posts, but I can discern no reason not to have a dive computer. A dive computer is chock full of helpful information that assists in safe diving such as nitrogen uptake, no deco limits, depth, and time. It provides a good reminder for a slow ascent rate as well as appropriate safety stop time and depth. Plus, it has all the other information one might like to have such as overall profile, water temp, surface interval, dive log, etc.

Especially in today's market where there is a plethora of quality dive computers available at very competitive prices, there is no excuse not to own one.

I dived for years without a dive computer, but after reading up on them and comparing features and prices, purchased a wrist dive computer (the Tusa Sapience IQ 800 for $400) last year. I think it is a terrific unit and wonderful asset. It is the type of purchase, at least for me, that made me wonder how I dived so long without one....

Hoosier:
Who is this guy? It looks like our Phil's guy though...

AHHHH, i've been outed I guess!

I most certainly belong to Phil. I'm Phil's son, work here in the shop with him. I'm getting more and more like him everyday, whether I like it or not.

I actually have the nickname of "RE-Phil" by lots of folks around here locally.

Good to be part of the board finally!

Brad Ellis

I agree with your point of view so you're not the only one!:coffee: This said, I also agree a dive computer is NOT necessary to dive. And definetly is NOT a reason to not know your tables and standard dive procedures. In my book (and I've been flamed for this in the past), a dive computer is a commodity that makes diving easier and more fun for me (also an intermediate diver).

Just my 0.02$

PS, paid 280$ for mine, so yes, there are budget options out there...

PSS. I chose a very very conservative computer (RGBM) cause I like playing it safe when it comes to diving.

PSSS. Flame away!!!!!:no :no

quietstorm:
I am an intermediate diver who dives 2-3 times a year, but my two cents worth is this: a dive computer is a must.

Maybe I am in the minority position here, having read the previous posts, but I can discern no reason not to have a dive computer. A dive computer is chock full of helpful information that assists in safe diving such as nitrogen uptake, no deco limits, depth, and time. It provides a good reminder for a slow ascent rate as well as appropriate safety stop time and depth. Plus, it has all the other information one might like to have such as overall profile, water temp, surface interval, dive log, etc.

Especially in today's market where there is a plethora of quality dive computers available at very competitive prices, there is no excuse not to own one.

I dived for years without a dive computer, but after reading up on them and comparing features and prices, purchased a wrist dive computer (the Tusa Sapience IQ 800 for $400) last year. I think it is a terrific unit and wonderful asset. It is the type of purchase, at least for me, that made me wonder how I dived so long without one....

Well, what you say is certainly not wrong. Boat operators never bothered me and I never attach anything extra on my BC that could get hung up (hoses are enough), I have a whistle (old scubapro; very loud!) and a watch (Old Tag Heuer, whole face illuminates; I like that watch!). I have received comments about my BC's; it's an old scubapro orange stab jacket and a an old Double Black. I dont really use the BC much anyway; never have a problem with boyancy either, though I see many others that do and can hear their inflators going on/off on/off. I bought into the Air/2 when the second generation came out and use that, though I use a 3rd generation now; elimates a hose and it works. I had to use it once in a true emergency (near disaster)while doing The USS San Diego off of New York; I lived and so did my partner. My regulators are mid to late 80's design (G250, Mk10, Bal Adjust, Poseidon Odin) and having tried the apeks, Atomic and other newest designs I dont see a reason to "upgrade", but these are excellent regulators, no question!
I will buy a computer and I will go air integrated with one of those remote sending units. This way I will gain all the benefits of the computer while introducing redundcy to my rig. Just add the sending unit to my second HP port and attach the computer console to my wrist. Now pressure, depth and time keeping are all redundant and i dont have to add any hoses or other accutriments of potential entanglement. Are my ideas good ones? To me they are! Bottom line though is to do what makes you comfortable as it is the state of being uncomfortable that can be dangerous...

I have a computer, but I use it in gage mode. I may go back to using a computer if they ever teach it to know:

How old I am.

How fat/slim I am.

My physical conditioning.

How I'm feeling that particular day.

How hydrated I am.

How cold/warm I am in the water (not the water temp).

My average depth.

Programmable stops.

How much I exert myself during the dive.

Make a good Mocha Latte.

Until then, I'll just stick with the one between my ears, which does know all that and knows how to make a good latte, too.

One might argue that the tables can't be taught these things either, and that if one is making adjustments to the table NDL's with the computer between their ears, that they could and should also apply those adjustments to the computer NDL's.

I think a more persuassive argument would be that there are methods that many many divers use to safely calculate NDL's without the use of computers. Learn more by clicking here. This path requires a certain amount of committment and dedication though, and is not for everybody. If this isn't interesting to you then I will share with you the following:

I think that diving is many things to many people. The diving around here is tropical reefs in the 45' to 80' range. It has been my experience that the combination of a computer and nitrox give divers about twice the NDL that divers that dive the tables and air get.

If you plan on diving deep wrecks with multiple gas switches, then I would say that there are much fewer measureable benefits, and in fact even problems with diving a computer, especially one not designed for such activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom