Why your Avatar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Name: Well I had to think about it, my name is Mike and I live in WV.

Avatar: Thats me at Gilboa Quarry several years ago at a "Great Lakes Wrecking Crew" meet and greet.

My name was a common nickname my coworkers had for me throughout my 20's. I think it's supposed to indicate "hardcore-ness" or something. Or maybe a Saturday Night Live skit, I'm not sure.

The avatar is a painted coconut from a seacamp 1999 luau. It struck me as eccentric and jolly, which is how I like to view myself. :)

Mean people suck.

I dunno, I've had "John B" scrawled on all my stuff since I was a kid...

My user title is there to remind me I should always be teachable and to never get complacent.

My avatar has to do with "calling a spade a spade" which I'm told I'm known for. :eyebrow: There are no shovel avatars, but there is that nifty Atlantic Spadefish (aka Chaetodipterus Faberis) which lives its entire life at the same depths as recreational scuba... :D

My signatures represent what I wish all divers knew, and my favorite way to stay fit for diving.

Last edited:
Ohhhh! I've dove Gilboa!

It was nice, but I'm happy to now be down in Florida! :D

Name: Well I had to think about it, my name is Mike and I live in WV.

Avatar: Thats me at Gilboa Quarry several years ago at a "Great Lakes Wrecking Crew" meet and greet.

The nickname was given to me by one of my dive buddies when we were planning a dive with less than perfect conditions (for him anyway)! The conversation went something like this:

Him: Viz is about 20 feet I don't want to dive like this!
Me: What? That's great viz let's go :D
Him: I'm going to start calling you LowVizWiz

Wiz or Wys is my real life nickname.
Anyhow, I'm about to change it to DMWIZ as soon as I'm done with my 400yd swim!

And my brother tells me I look like Frozone when I put on a wetsuit and mask.
I agree with him :D

Wiz

My avatar was a gift from Adobo. My early diving career was a headlong, happy tumble into DIR diving, to the point where people here started calling me the Borg Queen.

I've wondered about your avatar, the Borg Queen is kind of sexy in an evil way. I think it was the voice. I still wouldn't want to mess with her though.

This is a great thread … it should be in the news letter :wink:

I know a few skydivers as my x is one. I started out skydiving and realized I did not want to die lol and I love the ocean so I got into scuba. We would hang out with our skydive friends and everyone would ask each other been diving and would tell stories about when and where. When I would get asked I would reply, yes 90 ft for 40 minutes. So they started to call me divergirl. When I joined SB that name was taken and I was single so instead of divergirl1568 I thought of divergirl4U. It has been a fun name I have enjoyed every minute as divergirl4u :wink:
My first screen name was idive35 because I was 35 at the time of my certification.
My avatar is because I am a mermaid wanna be :) and have a fetish for mermaids. Blue Mermaid is a very pretty mermaid as well so I used it.
Kim P

OK...

Several years ago when computers were the new thing, I couldn't go to a party and get 15' past the point of entry. It seems technicians took the place that doctors used be in when they were at friendly parties.

At one party, I asked the group surrounding me why this was. I got a real laugh when someone said, "... because your job is so cool..." I couldn't stop laughing for a while... What an oxymoron!

Well, it stuck after that party. Everywhere I went for the next few weeks, people would say, "Hey, there goes that cool tech Jim..." It's funny how perceptions change about what's cool and what's not, with the flow of the world.

The avatar gets changed frequently depending on my mood, the UW pictures I take from week to week, or some things I've graphically designed around scuba

Although I try not to be a whiner or negative person, I know at times I can be so I picked the screen name "joyfulnoise" to remind me to be positive and appreciate the blessings I have, plus it reminds me to be kind and respectful as a member of a forum. I just always loved... Make a joyful noise!

FDA483 - is the list of observations (problems) found by the Food and Drug Administration when they inspect a drug manufacturing/testing site. I have spent 28 years trying to keep that list to a minimum for the companies I have worked for. Well it pays for diving right!!!!

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom