Windy Weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got home last night after a week in Coz, diving the 15th through the 20th (a lot of shore dives due to port closures). My computer showed water temps pretty consistent between 83-84 degrees. I thought it would be cooler, but DM told me it has been a warm Fall.

where did you shore dive? We had a hard time getting tanks when there was a port closure.

It’s been 11 months since our last trip with the then brand new port capitan being a little skittish and quick to close the port.

How is the situation now?

Lack of a Norte, you should be good to go...keep an eye on windguru.

Looks like a couple more Nortes coming next week, still a long time out and hopefully it will change.
Cozumel:
upload_2020-11-26_10-16-14.png

As has been stated in the past looking at Galveston is a pretty good indicator of whats coming for a standard El Norte out of Texas
Galveston:
upload_2020-11-26_10-19-36.png

Watching Eta close the port for 8 days on my last trip I started using the Windy app. It has a very nice 10 day forward looking animation that shows the wind projections graphically over a wide area. Galveston is a good pre-indicator of winds coming from a standard El Norte but Windy gives a better idea of whats going on when the weather is reacting to storms in the Caribbean

According to what I can find on the intertubes, active cold fronts usually move at about 17mph and Google Earth says that Galveston is about 800 miles from Cozumel. That's about two days.

active cold fronts usually move at about 17mph
With many exceptions, but probably generally true.

There is another one following. We're enjoying one more nice day in the Panhandle-South Plains, then it's longjohns for the week following. Windguru is thinking that the island will get the one leaving Texas now on Monday blowing out that afternoon and Tuesday morning, then the next one the following Friday so they're slowing down some over the Gulf. All of that is pretty long-range guesswork tho, certainly subject to changes.

national_forecast.jpg

Windguru is thinking that the island will get the one leaving Texas now on Monday blowing out that afternoon and Tuesday morning, then the next one the following Friday
Now it's thinking blowouts Tuesday and next Saturday, maybe, subject to change...

upload_2020-11-28_19-56-38.png

Strong norte here in Galveston, started Sunday but really cold and windy today Monday AM.

Dave Dillehay

Per Windguru I would expect the port to close this evening and hopefully reopen Wednesday but the PC could go for this afternoon and thru Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom