Your Dive CPU is? And Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insert Catchy name

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am tired of reading reviews and researching for dive CPU's.

What do you use and why? Was it because that is what the LDS had or did you research it out?

Thanks, Joe

I have a Cochran EMC14. Because I got a great deal on it. But if you are looking for a single FO2 (Nitrox) wrist computer the newer Mares (and i really have never been a Mares fan) look really good. Much smaller than the older "puck" designs. Very user friendly.

SCUBAMARKET USA - Detail

I did research it out, including searching this board. At the end, I got the Oceanic Pro Plus II (with some discount from my ex-LDS), one of many air-integrated computers (and a software to download your profile) but it seemed to have the largest display at the time I got it (more than 2 years ago).
Then I got an Atom 2.0 which is wireless and uses the same algorithm. I use them both and they work beautifully.
I hope this helps.

We ended up with his and hers Areis ATMOS-2 computers.

At the time it came down to nice big numbers for the 2 facts that matter (depth & NDL), good reputation (from watching ScubaBoard comments) and it is a nitrox capable model. We have no technical aspirations so that simplified a lot of stuff.

I had already nixed all forms of air integration for $$$ and reliability considerations.

Pete

I have (had) several, but for the ease of use and basic calculations you can not go wrong with a Nitek Duo or one of it's clones. A simple 2 gas computer that can also be used as a gauge.

I did all the internet research and found the best for my purposes, which for right now is strictly NDL rec diving. I have the Tusa IQ-800, the first vibrating computer. It is a nitrox computer that is incrediably user friendly and has a lage back lit display that is easy to see in the most turbid of water. I'm a solo diver and so redundancy is mandatory. I also picked up a Mares RGBM 2 that is a computer as well as a SPG. They both work well together and have the automatic on feature that activates it once it is submereged. I would reccommend either and definatly both!

i have a nitek plus, because i won it in a silent auction. but it's a good 'puter & i really like it.

when we got certified back in CO, our LDS carried every major brand. We all did our research (husband, me, and daughter) and opted for Suunto Vyper (them) and Oceanic DataPlus2 (me). After a few years of diving with those computers, I have now switched to the Suunto Vyper and my hubby now has a Suunto Cobra (air integrated) and uses his old Vyper as a wrist backup since he is now an instructor and needs it. All are nitrox computers (very important to us as we like doing multiple dives daily).

The reason - Suunto is very conservative, much more than my Oceanic was, and therefore my buddies were being told to do deco stops when I was told I was fine. (different algorithms for figuring nitrogen loading). Who's computer was right? Well, I would rather be safe than sorry..... so I switched. Also, the Suunto has many more features and settings and since we all download our dives to home PC, we are able to access more information regarding our dives.

Yes, Suunto isn't cheap but it is worth the extra $$$.

robin:D

I am tired of reading reviews and researching for dive CPU's.

What do you use and why? Was it because that is what the LDS had or did you research it out?

Thanks, Joe

Nitek duo as primary and genesis react as backup. tried the genesis react on a deal that if i didn't like it the lds would take it back and also consulted other divers about what they liked and didn't like, and went with the nitek on that basis. imo the nitek has an easier-to-use ui than the genesis, and the genesis doesn't record min temp as part of the log details, so i favor the nitek. i use the nitek as a wrist mount and the genesis as a hose mount. both do nitrox up to 50%. i had one nitek crap out on a dive (i bought it used so i don't know the history of the thing), and diverite express replaced it for free for me, and the replacement has been working great. friend of mine has had bad luck with his nitek duo though. genesis has been trouble free since i started using it.

Back
Top Bottom