Your thoughts on LDS experience thread.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was wondering how you all feel about the way you are treated at your local dive shop?

You know the one you spend all your hard earned money at getting that really cool dive equipment.

Looking for really honest answers about how you feel about your LDS experiences.

Shawn O'Shea

I'm quite reasonably satisfied. [I should not necessarily be more positive and Mack reads this stuff....] - - I will also note in a perplexed tone that when I had all the Instructors over this summer - Macks answer to "Where did he find me" - - was that "I came with the shop" - - Think about it a bit....

I'm quite reasonably satisfied. [I should not necessarily be more positive and Mack reads this stuff....] - - I will also note in a perplexed tone that when I had all the Instructors over this summer - Macks answer to "Where did he find me" - - was that "I came with the shop" - - Think about it a bit....

Glad to get yer inputs.

I am wondering what divers today think of a great dive shop experience is................

SO

I like the face to face interaction that you get from some of the experienced divers there, I dont like how high some of the prices can be though. I understand they are trying to stay in business and I try to support my LDS, but when I can get something for $250 less online, its an easy choice for me. A few bucks here and there isnt big but I think it should be reasonable

brett

I like the face to face interaction that you get from some of the experienced divers there, I dont like how high some of the prices can be though. I understand they are trying to stay in business and I try to support my LDS, but when I can get something for $250 less online, its an easy choice for me. A few bucks here and there isnt big but I think it should be reasonable

brett

Brett,

Why do you think local dive shops (LDS) mark up equipment like you describe above?

It seems to me that you reduce prices you would sell volume (just a little business thought) I actually was in a local dive shop like that in Key West many years ago called Divers Direct. I have no idea what they may be doing today. They had serious inventory in the store and lots of selections at a little above internet prices.

Shawn O.

The first time Kory took me into our "LDS" I was fresh from a discover scuba experience in the bahamas, and was ready to buy stuff, ANY stuff, sign up for class, ANY class, all of them!! We had literally just flown in the night before, and decided to visit the shop, cause I didn't want to waste any time, and they were having some sort of winter sale or party of some sort. I was so excited! From the moment we entered the shop, until we left about 30 minutes later (with the exception of one person, who wasn't even a salesman) we were completely ignored. We were NEVER approached by the owner, or any salesmen, we were never asked why we were there, or what we were looking for. They were all too "busy" getting ready for their BIG sale, to notice they had two customers ready to spend just about anything. We left, went to another shop, and bought stuff. We tried many times to work with this particular LDS, because it was the closest one to us, and the most convenient. Customer service however; was never their priority. I like to walk in a shop, and be treated like they want my business. Try to sell me stuff, act like your interested in what I have to say, offer me some classes, ask me what I'm looking for. Treat me like I'm important to you, and I'll probably buy most anything you want to sell me.:D All an LDS really has to do is treat people right, be honest, and fair. It's not about pricing for me, I really don't care if I save a few bucks or not. I don't care if I get a good deal or not. I know what I want, if you have it, or something that will work just as well, and you treat me right, I'll buy it. We visit our actual LDS now, in Sherman. Very sweet people, always treat us right, and are always very nice. Are they cheap? Nope. But, I don't care. Never did, all I want is good service. We have to supplement a little with shops further south, because this little Sherman shop is just a hobby for them, and they don't carry a lot. But whatever I can buy from them, I do. They in turn, don't care what we buy from them, or don't, they are always happy to do our fills, and vips, and talk our legs off, before we can get out of the store.:D Perfect, in my opinion.

Rhonda

I expect a reasonable selection of large and small gear items available in store at a fair mark up (maybe not internet pricing on everything, but certainly not doubled), and a big stack of catalog books to look thru for anything not currently stocked. I expect quality service of equipment and my tanks filled full. I expect my LDS's to join in community scuba events open to all (not just shop events).

I am fine with being ignored until I speak up if I walk into a busy shop (and just because I am only customer in store it doesn't mean that they are not busy). I do expect a 'hey matt, what u needing today?' at some point though. What I do like is when they ask(and listen to) me what I want and why rather than trying to sell me on what they are trying to move out of stock. A shop that will recommend something at another shop or internet site because it is what I am looking for and they don't carry it/can't order it is one I will certainly come back to.

I do not put up with any drama about me purchasing things elsewhere, be it local or internet. I do try to give the LDS a shot at all my internet purchases and use them if they can get reasonably close to price.

I also try to remember that everyone has good and bad days and not expect every visit to be the 'best' experience I ever had in a dive shop, but if over a half dozen to dozen visits the service/selection is consistantly poor it will take a lot to get me back in there to shop.

jmho,ymmv...

When I was looking to start taking my classes I went to a couple of dive shops close to me. One of them I went to the guy acted like I was imposing on him being in there. I asked a few questions and got short responses, again making me feel like I was intruding. He even asked me "Why are you asking these questions?" My LDS owner told me that guy was the best advertisement for his shop. I do not see how he stays in business.
The shop I chose, they talked to me about anything and everything and I felt very comfortable with them. For me it isn't always about price but about customer service. I do not mind spending a little more for that piece of mind.

I have a couple of shops that I use. One I use more for classes and one I use more for gear. I have to say that the thing that sells me is that feeling like you are part of the community rather than just an income source. At my smaller LDS I know everyone and have to budget in some time to shoot the breeze because it will never be and in and out thing. And you never know who else might be in the store.

The other store I use is bigger and I havent worked with the same saleperson twice, but every time they were helpful and knowledgeable and approached me within steps of my coming in the door.

I say its kind of like looking for your LYS (Local Yarn Shop :wink: - it's just gotta be someplace where you want to hang out. Good people/Good atmosphere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom