2 Wetsuits on 1 person ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've learnt to dive recently and wanted some advice on wet suits. I currently own a 3 millimeter shortie with a back zip. I am about to go on a dive trip with the water temperature at 70 F (21 C). I have the opportunity to borrow a friends full 3 millimeter to wear over the top of my shortie.
Will this work or is it a silly idea just to save some money, also can you see problems or any reasons why not.

It is more common to wear the shorty over the full suit - it creates a tighter fit around the torso therefore giving better thermal insulation properties. I used to own a 5mm oceanic semi-dry that was a two-piece - so, in effect, three suits in all.

On the other hand, I have been diving until recently in an old 5mm suit that I bought when I was about 10kgs heavier than I am now, so the suit didnt fit, and a 3mm shorty underneath padded it out just enough to keep me warm in the winter water here (23 degrees) :D

It might look a bit daft, but if it fits well and keeps you warm, that's really all that counts.

Cheers

C.

I've learnt to dive recently and wanted some advice on wet suits. I currently own a 3 millimeter shortie with a back zip. I am about to go on a dive trip with the water temperature at 70 F (21 C). I have the opportunity to borrow a friends full 3 millimeter to wear over the top of my shortie.
Will this work or is it a silly idea just to save some money, also can you see problems or any reasons why not.
I wouldn't really care if it looks silly or not if it keeps me warm. Run with what you have. There's no need to buy new gear just for one trip. But if you do then you'll most likely use it somewhere down the road.

I watched a guy recently on the dive boat I was on, he put on a 3mm shorty, 5mm full and then a 6mm jacket. He had over 14mm of neoprene on but when we got out he wasn't shivering from 50 degree water like some of the others.

And yes, the shortie usually goes on the outside, it'll be easier to get out of after being wet.

Happy & safe diving!!!

It will work.

I've done a 5mm vest under an 8mm semi dry under my 3mm full suit. I easily did over an hour in 44degree water. My buddy in a dry suit actually called the dive because he was cold. It is a PITA, but it will work.

just try it on before you go so you know it fits, I do it all the time but the shorty is a size bigger than the full and that helps

Layering is good. I do that often with a variety of configurations of full jumpsuits and shorty's of differing thicknesses depending on the water temps.
Don't forget to adjust your weight to accomodate the addition or subtraction of the additional neoprene.

Last edited:
I have a similar question, I have a 7mm full wetsuit and wanted to wear a 3mm vest underneath to dive in mid 50s water here in CA right now. Is this doable?

I have a similar question, I have a 7mm full wetsuit and wanted to wear a 3mm vest underneath to dive in mid 50s water here in CA right now. Is this doable?

Sure its doable. Will you be warm? Maybe a thicker vest.

My son has no bodyfat so even in tropical waters he sometimes get cold so we will borrow a 3mm shortie to go over his 3mm full. Works great. He doesn't even add weight. Got him a 5mm for his birthday so we will see how that works.

B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom