2 Wetsuits on 1 person ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I layer all the time. I have a 5mm full, a 5mm hooded vest, a 3mm shortie and a 2mm full. Some combination of those has always worked from our local mudpit in Apr (vest, 5mm and 3mm) to the bahamas in Sep (3mm).

something like this:
Bare 7mm Arctic Vest, Mens

with a 7mm that's going to be 14mm of neoprene though! yikes!

That is virtually no different than a 7mm farmer john set up. You end up with 14mm on your torso and 7 on the extremities.

Farmer john set-ups are common in my area. I wear a 3mil fj with a 3mil jacket when the water is cool, trim that to either the fj OR the jacket when conditions are warmer. I like the flexibility that sets like this provide in adapting to varying conditions.

I use a 6.5 mil farmer john jacket with my 3 mil full suit all the time, and dive in 50 degree water. It will work.

But, like everyone else says the full suit should probably be under the shorty.

Also, don't forget the buoyancy check before you go. With the added rubber in the 3 mil you're likely to need several more pounds to stay neutral.

For what it is worth, I dive 70 degree water all the time in a 3 mil fullsuit with no problems. But you might want a hood and gloves.

That is virtually no different than a 7mm farmer john set up. You end up with 14mm on your torso and 7 on the extremities.

excuse my ignorance but I thought Farmer John made pork sausages, since when did they start making wetsuits?

Since 1967.......

OK, so I don't really know if that's the true year or not, but it sounded cool.

I recently used a layering approach (vest) such as described here in conditions that were still borderline for me. I was just on the edge of being cold each dive. One day I foolishly forgot to pack the vest, so I put on a hood instead. I was nice and toasty throughout the dive. From then on a just wore the hood and left the vest packed.

You might consider taking a hood along for warmth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom