300 ft Dive, Who Is This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would equate the 293' dive they did to jumping out of an airplane with one parachute while being highly intoxicated....

Their slung bottle had most likely nitrox in it for decompression..ok I am making an assumption here, but I am guessing I have a chance of being 99% right on this one (especially if it's marked...right?).

So lets say it had 32% ... the PO2 of 32% at 293' is....?

You tell me if they had any sort of redundancy at 293' ... I guess you could count the buddy and the AIR2 ... which I sm sure breathes awesome at 293'

They may have the record for the deepest dive ever done wearing a snorkel. :D

:rofl3: I noticed that as well!!! I hate a snorkel attached to my mask -- drives me mad!

I would like to make this site myself....but doing it the 'proper' way of course!

lol, at least they weren't chubby too.

on top of being idiots and bald.

Don't forget blonde!! They'd be doomed being bald, chubby and blonde!!

I love deep air snorkel divers!!

Sean

I would equate the 293' dive they did to jumping out of an airplane with one parachute while being highly intoxicated....

Their slung bottle had most likely nitrox in it for decompression..ok I am making an assumption here, but I am guessing I have a chance of being 99% right on this one (especially if it's marked...right?).

So lets say it had 32% ... the PO2 of 32% at 293' is....?

You tell me if they had any sort of redundancy at 293' ... I guess you could count the buddy and the AIR2 ... which I sm sure breathes awesome at 293'

*shrug*... without actually trying it, we don't know how well any of the equipment they had worked at depth or otherwise. You always have buddy breathing if that Air2 doesn't cut it.

The point is, they had a gas they could breath (assuming it's EAN32) at 180' with the same degree of risk of oxtox as they had breathing air at 293'. Of course, we don't know the contents. It could have been air in a Nitrox tank because that's what the diver owns for tanks...

That would have made the ascent certainly much more doable at a slow (maybe not deco-stop slow, but who knows their breathing rate) pace.

:rofl3: I noticed that as well!!! I hate a snorkel attached to my mask -- drives me mad!

Oddly enough, I know of at least one trained, experienced dive professional that will not get in the water on the Backwall without a snorkel. She credits having one with keeping her alive when the dive boat lost her group for 6+ hours several years ago.

What I'm saying here, guys, is that it's easy to sit back and judge these guys, but only a smattering of the people that have posted here (and I'm not one of them) have any basis to do so.

What I'm saying here, guys, is that it's easy to sit back and judge these guys, but only a smattering of the people that have posted here (and I'm not one of them) have any basis to do so.

Why would anybody choose to do a 300 foot dive with a single backgas tank?

In the event of a gear failure on the bottom causing the divers to share air ,with a stressed SAC of 1.0 they would be using 20 cu/ft a MINUTE ! I'm guessing that Rock Bottom calculations were not part of their pre dive planning. :D

I saw this flick over on TDS.... we don't even know if it is a true dive at that depth as the poster of the video suggests....?

But assuming it is.... it shows extremely poor decision makes on the parts of all parties involved. Every protocol for these extreme type dives has been violated.

If in fact it is a real 293ft. dive....then each of the divers needs to have their mental health evaluated.

Here is what I think.

--Bald means nothing. I work with military guys that are early twentys and shave their head just because.

--At a sac rate of around .5 they have absolutely no redundancy for gas unless they did a straight bounce to the bottom and back up quick. Now, with 4-5 of these build up dives there is a real good chance one or all of them would have bent by now.

--Fact is they don't have the gas in a single 80 to do those types of dives and have time to just cruise around like they appeared to be doing in them (don't know if I watched all of them). I don't mean that they don't have the gas as in it wouldn't be safe, I mean they don't have the gas as in they would breathe their tanks dry and dive (unless they are doing some crazy overfills on those al80s.

--They are diving relaxed on some of there dives and just look to be having a normal dive. This is another example that I am using to back they don't have the gas to physically do the dives.

--Here is my hypothesis.

Here you have two monkey, tec diver wannabees. Somebody learned to play with their dive computers and the altitude setting. I might be wrong on this, but it is a hunch and I crunched some numbers from altitude charts I found.

for the 221 dive if they set their altitude to somewhere between 8000-10000feet then their actuall depth would actually be around 150-165fsw.

for the 293 dive their actual depth would be around 204-217fsw.

Don't be me wrong, still idiot moves and darwin award winners in the making, but still more realistic given that they are actually still alive and not bent.

Me thinks the lighting and bottom structure looks a little more in line with those depths than their stated depths. If you watch the appropriate videos again with the alternate depths in mind then they appear a little more appropriate as far as the light reaching them from the surface.

Heck, five us us dove to 150fsw today off Oahu (a right way -trained) and we could see the surface, but the light reaching us was less then what they at at 221fsw. We had good horizontal viz too, but the HIDs were welcome.

So, I think they might be playing around either on purpose or maybe they just both bought those nice computer things and don't know how to use them and screwed up the settings by accident.

Just my .02.

I just went back and watched it and actually the lighting on their 293fsw dive was just a little darker than it was for us today, even more lean towards that dive actually only being about my estimated depth for that one of ~205fsw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom