Alabama lake diving? Wedowee, Smith, Martin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's fine. Have you dove these sights before?

The one thing we will need is a marina or boat ramp near by. The pontoon sucks gas pretty good, I got a 12 gal and a 6 gal tank. Don't want to venture more than about 15 miles including running search grids with the depth sounder and u/w camera.

The ggirlfriend has approved the 11th as a good day so looks like were good to go.

I have dove the bridge..the boat ramp is directly beside the sunken bridge and about 500yds from the town, Irma and maybe a mile from the grist mill.......the boat ramp is on Hwy 63 in Eclectic at the kowligia bridge..

Ok sounds good. I'm not sure how well this depth finder will work for spotting things as its pretty old, but I've got a towable camera with a 100 foot cable for scoping things out if need be.

Where is the best place to meet? I've never been on lake martin before.

Is the bridge the old one they sank that people shore dive or another one?

The sunken bridge lays in about 35 ft of water right beside the new bridge ...yes it is the one everyone dives from the shore....the best place to meet would be the boat ramp. as early in the AM as possible ( less boats)..the vis is about 8 to 12 ft normally so the camera might be fun to play with...cant wait....

sounds like a blast but I will have to check schedule and budget!

smith lake has some buildings they say, I made a few dives there last summer i didn't see any buildings. An old guy I talked with said there was all kinds of stuff in there.

Penciling in...
April 11th 2009
Boat ramp at north end of Kowaliga bridge
Rick

Cade.....FYI....don't forget the clan will be going to the A-day Game on the 18th too!

Martin on the 11th sounds like fun! The temps should be out of the 50's by then (I hope). Rick chime in please, I don't remember and didn't log the water temps.

We are going to need more boats!

Irma is near Harbor Bay and the grist mill is off Real Island. Not too far apart. The bridge rubble is the shore dive at Kowligia.

You'll have to be really careful dragging a camera.

Looking forward to meeting new SB divers and seeing some fellow divers again!

Last edited:
...You'll have to be really careful dragging a camera...
Indeed... I have one I found wrapped around a piling in the old Kowaliga bridge rubble.
Of course with Scuba gear handy rescuing a hung camera isn't so hopeless...
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom