bad fog problem for oceanic shadow mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a brand of toothpaste, I have found the all white toothpaste works better than the gel(blue/green) toothpast.

burning the glass works a treat, basically it vaporises the wax off the glass. When you think of it toothpaste sounds pretty weird to when you tell newbies.

Freza, perhaps the mask is not the problem, how much suncream are you using? Any oil bases cosmetic, suncream or even skin oil will cause the mask to fog, and with the super low volume masks, this seems to be an even greater problem. I have found that washing the face well before a dive can help reduce fogging. Applying suncream will guarantee it.

I've got 3 other masks and have never had this much trouble. Its not the mask, its the goo And the Oceanic guy should, at least, tell us what the goo is so we can get a solvent. Without the fog, its a great mask.

evad:
I've got 3 other masks and have never had this much trouble. Its not the mask, its the goo And the Oceanic guy should, at least, tell us what the goo is so we can get a solvent. Without the fog, its a great mask.

The "Oceanic guy" (me) has no clue exactly what type of "goo" is used. I will do some investigating however and see what I can find out.

I don't use the shadow (use corrective lenes) thus have no personal experience with using the mask, however I also have heard nothing but positive from dealers and consumers with it until this thread.

Best,

Chris (Oceanic Guy in this thread):D

Thanks Oceanic guy.
Dave
(Guy with a foggy shadow guy)

Oceanic Guy here, I have asked around and discussed with other Oceanic Guys.

We do get a batch every now and then from our vendor that is much harder to clean so it doesn't fog. As a result I can happily(?) say that what I see here is not a figment of anybodies imagination.

Of course if you have a Shadow that just won't stop fogging you may exchange it under warranty or....

You can run it for one cycle thru the dishwasher. I actually questioned that and was assured it works every time.

Regarding what goop is the problem, we want to know as well, it seems every time we encounter this and bring it to the vendors attention the next bunch of masks are fine, then after a while a "foggy" batch comes along....We are developing a QA process for the shadow that will catch when it happens before you try to have a "London Day" dive.

I appreciate everybody that posted their experiences, the feedback is always good thing.

Best,

Chris

cancun mark:
Freza, perhaps the mask is not the problem, how much suncream are you using? Any oil bases cosmetic, suncream or even skin oil will cause the mask to fog, and with the super low volume masks, this seems to be an even greater problem. I have found that washing the face well before a dive can help reduce fogging. Applying suncream will guarantee it.

thanks for the tips.

i don't use sunscream. furthermore, no prob with my previous big eyes & horizon (cressi-subs). also no probs with the in-house no-brand masks too (had to loan it from the dive shop after i gave up on my 1st shadow ice mask) or any mask i swap with other divers to confirm the fog problem with my 1st shadow ice mask.

also passed my 1st shadow ice around to other instructors, DMs & experienced divers - they gave up on whatever method they knew off.

on my recent purchase of the shadow black. passed it to 2 instructors to test during their pool session. still not impressed with the fog condition. no sea water test yet. next trip in 2 weeks. can't risk my sipadan trip with a bad foggy mask.

need solution fast...

freza:
thanks for the tips.

i don't use sunscream. furthermore, no prob with my previous big eyes & horizon (cressi-subs). also no probs with the in-house no-brand masks too (had to loan it from the dive shop after i gave up on my 1st shadow ice mask) or any mask i swap with other divers to confirm the fog problem with my 1st shadow ice mask.

also passed my 1st shadow ice around to other instructors, DMs & experienced divers - they gave up on whatever method they knew off.

on my recent purchase of the shadow black. passed it to 2 instructors to test during their pool session. still not impressed with the fog condition. no sea water test yet. next trip in 2 weeks. can't risk my sipadan trip with a bad foggy mask.

need solution fast...

Did you read my post just above yours?

Best,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom