bad fog problem for oceanic shadow mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Rick, i've sent an email to Ron Landess for the replacement Mask process on monday (4th sept). but still no reply from him. can you help? thanks.

I've sent hime another email and forwarded your PM to me as well. Could you PM me your email?

Sorry for the delay.

Chris, PMed you. pls reply with the replacement process to the email provided.

thanks.

Hello Guys,

I have a mask from a different manufacturer (Atomic) that had a similar problem.
I finally used a product I got at my LDS (Diver's Supply) called "500 PSI Mask Scrub". 500 PSI also makes one of the best de-fogging gels on the market. Toothpaste, while cheap, is clearly less effective than this stuff.

But, even with this product that is made specifically for cleaning mask glass, I still had to scrub the mask thoroughly several times to get it completely clean. After the first application, I tested it and could see where I had cleaned (no fog) and where I hadn't. You really need to bear down on it as if you were polishing something. Just wiping it on and off won't do it.

After I finally got it clean, it has been fog-free when using the de-fog gel.
If you can find 500 PSI Mask Scrub, it is not expensive and did the trick for me. BTW, it looks like white chalky toothpaste, and I could feel a fine abrasive in it.

Good luck solving your problem and kudos to the Oceanic Guys for being so responsive to this (and other) problems.

Thomjinx

cerich,

Not burning, I did heat up the glass with high power cigarate lighter and it works.
I did also soak my goggle with sea water by adding shampo overnight and it really works. i dont have any defog problem since that.

Maybe it sound crazy but it works..

I've recently had a similar issue with a Zeus mask (non oceanic product). I've even tried the old "algae" trick. Pick up a little algae on the dive, remove mask, scrub it around, rinse and clear. Still have the issue.

I've been told that if you are using toothpaste, make 100% sure it does not have any whitening agents. Those will clean the previous film off and put another right back on.

Before every dive I scrub with toothpaste.

As did the three other divers- we did 35 dives in 7 days in the Philippines last week.

No one had mask fog.

No one.

Toothpaste.

Maybe you would try it or like it better if you paid $10 for a tube?

The Shadow is a low volume mask so, it will have a higher tendency to fog... I have been using the Shadow for a year and my best and most economical defog is the baby shampoo solution (an idea from the gurus here) :eek:) it has worked far better for me compared to the commercial defogs which is a hassle putting on prior to each dive... not to mention the cost...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom