bad fog problem for oceanic shadow mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a specific product for preparing masks - take a look at following link

http://www.salclear.com/nmp.htm

The web page explains why there is a problem, and why using toothpaste is not a good idea.

Well, don't feel bad, your not the only one with shadow fog problems. I clean my mask a few days before my dive, the day of my dive, defog 30 minutes before, and as soon as I hit the water I fog up. The only way I can see through the mask is to allow water into my mask and do the 'head wiggle' which moves the water around in my mask. Everytime I mention it to the LDS he laughs and says I need to clean it. I get down on it with crest and a toothbrush until the brush almost doesn't want to move on the glass anymore and it makes a squeeking noise.. squeeky clean!

I'll try the dishwasher deal, but as hard as I've clean this thing and it's still foggy, I doubt the dishwasher will work. Worth a try though. Another problem I have is, my LDS says that since the mask has been in saltwater, they will not replace it...

I tried the dishwasher trick on a mask I replaced because it fogged all the time, despite every trick in the book. Worked perfectly. Now I have another spare...

By the way, thanks cerich for the tip.

Cheers,

Andrew

frankc420:
the water around in my mask. Everytime I mention it to the LDS he laughs and says I need to clean it. I get down on it with crest and a toothbrush until the brush almost doesn't want to move on the glass anymore and it makes a squeeking noise.. squeeky clean!

I'll try the dishwasher deal, but as hard as I've clean this thing and it's still foggy, I doubt the dishwasher will work. Worth a try though. Another problem I have is, my LDS says that since the mask has been in saltwater, they will not replace it...

Toothpaste should work, but not with a toothbrush. You need to rub it with your fingers or a soft cloth.

Also, the line about "you're on your own because it's been in saltwater" is complete cr**. It's supposed to go in salt water. That's what it was designed for. If you can't get it to stop fogging, call the manufacturer. They'll give you a hand and probably go harass the dealer for feeding you a BS line like that.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom