bad fog problem for oceanic shadow mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi all,

got this reply from oceanic,

"That is a defect in the glass of the mask, please feel free to take it to your Local Authorized Dealer for a warranty replacement, so as it is within the one year warranty period."

my question is, how can i be certain that the replacement will not be a bad one too?

Hi,

I don't just use the Oceanic logo, I am with Oceanic. Doug and I discussed this thread today. Doug was the guy that sent you the email.

Did you read my earlier post?

Best,

Chris Richardson
District Sales Manager Southeast- Oceanic

freza:
hi all,

got this reply from oceanic,

"That is a defect in the glass of the mask, please feel free to take it to your Local Authorized Dealer for a warranty replacement, so as it is within the one year warranty period."

my question is, how can i be certain that the replacement will not be a bad one too?

cerich:
Did you read my post just above yours?

Best,

Chris

oops... it wasn't there when i was writing. anyway, how can we be certain the replacement won't be another bad one? in my case i have already bought 3 bad ones (shadow ice (2003), mini shadow ice (2003) + shadow black (3 days ago).

cerich:
Hi,

I don't just use the Oceanic logo, I am with Oceanic. Doug and I discussed this thread today. Doug was the guy that sent you the email.

Did you read my earlier post?

Best,

Chris Richardson
District Sales Manager Southeast- Oceanic

yup. read it. waiting for ans on how to make sure we don't get another bad mask.
anyway, the email was signed by a rick cockroft.

freza:
yup. read it. waiting for ans on how to make sure we don't get another bad mask.
anyway, the email was signed by a rick cockroft.

Rick works in the repair department, shows how many of us hang around here to take care of problems, we're tripping over each other...:D

If you are OK with waiting for a product to come from the US office we can assure that the mask we send is OK.

Or you can have a shadow dishwasher day with all three and see if it works, then go to plan B if it doesn't.

Let me know what you would like to have done via PM.

Best,

Chris

freza:
had another instructor to try it again earlier tonight after the 'treatment' last night. was ok at first but the fog are back after 20 mins. this time, the fogging seems 'uneven' - some part of the lense is foggy & some are not.

could it be;
1. the mask have very low volume that your face/eyes heat is fogging up the mask?
2. cleaning was uneven.

I know you don't beleive it, but the mask still has something on the inside.

Pour water into it and then dump it. Any place you see water beads is not clean. Water will sheet completely off very clean glass.

I'd give it another few rounds of mask & slate cleaner (the blue goopy stuff) or toothpaste and try again.

Another possibility is that if it's very low volume, your face is dirtying the mask while you're wearing it, or that you're rinsing out too much defog.

Terry

cerich:
Oceanic Guy here, I have asked around and discussed with other Oceanic Guys.

We do get a batch every now and then from our vendor that is much harder to clean so it doesn't fog. As a result I can happily(?) say that what I see here is not a figment of anybodies imagination.

Of course if you have a Shadow that just won't stop fogging you may exchange it under warranty or....

You can run it for one cycle thru the dishwasher. I actually questioned that and was assured it works every time.

Regarding what goop is the problem, we want to know as well, it seems every time we encounter this and bring it to the vendors attention the next bunch of masks are fine, then after a while a "foggy" batch comes along....We are developing a QA process for the shadow that will catch when it happens before you try to have a "London Day" dive.

I appreciate everybody that posted their experiences, the feedback is always good thing.

Best,

Chris

Thanks, OG, for the straight answer. Kind of refreshing.

cerich:
If you are OK with waiting for a product to come from the US office we can assure that the mask we send is OK.

Let me know what you would like to have done via PM.

Best,

Chris

Chris, replied (PMed) you on 30.8.06. waiting for your reply? need response fast.

thanks.

freza:
Chris, replied (PMed) you on 30.8.06. waiting for your reply? need response fast.

thanks.

Given you are overseas, the best thing to do is contact Ron Landess at 510-562-0500 ext 226 to arrange. Unfortunatly I can not guess on the timeline for you mask to get to us and us a new one to you.

Best,

Chris

chris, pls pm me his (ron) email add. our international calls are quite expensive.

thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom