Computer or Bottom Timer? Which is better for tech diving?

Computer or Bottom Timer for Tech Diving?

• Yes, use a computer (or 2)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • No, use a bottom timer (or 2)

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • One of each

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the computers you guys are talking about what you would think of as "tech" computers?

There are some real convincing arguements bothe ways. I don't use a computer for technical dives because I dive trimix when I dive deep. There are only a few trimix computers on the market. They are expensive even for me. I am a dealer for one of the companies and I have a freind who is a dealer selling out of his trunk for another of the companies.

There are other issues. What decompression theories do you accept? What model do you want to use? This will further limit your choice in computers or your decission not to use one. Personally I don't think most computers are taking advantage of some of the latest decompression theory. Well maybe not even some of the old theory.

On the other hand I may not be the most experienced or the most knowlegeable but there are caves that I think are a challange/PITA to profile and cut tables for (yes it can be done). OW/wreck profiles in comparisson are really easy.

I don't see any of the relevant issues being discussed in this thread.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Are the computers you guys are talking about what you would think of as "tech" computers?

Well I don't look at the Suunto Vyper as being a "tech" computer. Like I stated earlier in the thread, I was wondering if it pays not to get a computer and go right to a bottom timer, looking down the road to deco/tech diving.

I think I'd rather go with the computer for now, and then I can switch to gauge mode and use it as a bottom timer when I 'm ready to cut tables and the like.

taat2d once bubbled...
Well I don't look at the Suunto Vyper as being a "tech" computer.

It's definately not. If you use it in computer mode and actually go into deco with it it will give you loooong shallow stops, not happy times :)

WW

As Mike and WW have pointed out, you guys are discussing recreational computers under the guise of "tech" diving.

For tek diving, you either need a B/T or one of the 3 actual trimix/deco capabile computers. None of which, IMO, work well enough to shell out what they cost.

And, as WW has pointed out, Suunto computers, although an excellent rec computer, suck big time for even mild deco dives.

You kids quit kiddin around now and play nice :)

MD

Which dive? Which computer? Real technical dives are planned individually, and the answer will vary from dive to dive depending on many factors. If a computer is the best tool for the job on a particular dive - say a cave dive of an hour or so with variable depths from 60-90 feet, then a computer is what I use as my primary instrument. On the other hand, a wreck dive to 185' for 20 minutes using travel, bottom and deco gases is better served with a bottom timer and custom tables. And regardless of whether a computer is used or not, backup tables and timers should be carried and used.
Rick

Something to watch out for...

If you decide to get a recreational computer with the plan of using it as a bottom timmer later be aware that some lock up if you do things they don't like.

Diving trimix and using O2 for decompression I have gotten out of the water when my computer said I had another 40 minutes of decompression. The computer is being used as a bottom timmer and has no idea what gasses I am diving. None of my stops are what the computer calls for because the dive is being done according to tables cut with software. Luckily this computer doesn't lock up and I am spared the inconvenience of having to tie it to a log at 20 ft while I eat lunch like some do.

Some of the rec computers will lock up if you take them past 160. That doesn't make for much of a tech computer.

MechDiver once bubbled...
You kids quit kiddin around now and play nice :)

MD

Ok will you buy me an ice cream if we be nice? :D

I completely understand the differences now. Between cutting tables and using a rec computer. All I wanted to know was this. Can a Suunto Vyper be used for NDL rec diving and then later be used as a bottom timer ONLY without lock out, and then cut tables for your dive?

taat2d once bubbled...
All I wanted to know was this. Can a Suunto Vyper be used for NDL rec diving and then later be used as a bottom timer ONLY without lock out, and then cut tables for your dive?

Yes, it works nicely for this as it has a pure gauge mode (does force a safety stop even in gauge mode though).

I use a Vyper (in gauge mode) and a Uwatec BT on my dives. I like the Vyper primarily because of the downloadable logging.

WW

taat2d once bubbled...
All I wanted to know was this. Can a Suunto Vyper be used for NDL rec diving and then later be used as a bottom timer ONLY without lock out, and then cut tables for your dive?
Is there a better way? Absolutely.

But what you propose will work and the Vyper has nice big numbers. Of course you could get a Uwatec BT/DG delivered to your door for a third of the cost... but, yes... the Vyper will do.

And it is even a few bucks cheaper than a Stinger.

OK thanx guys I appreciate all the info on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom