Computer or Bottom Timer? Which is better for tech diving?

Computer or Bottom Timer for Tech Diving?

• Yes, use a computer (or 2)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • No, use a bottom timer (or 2)

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • One of each

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i use my aladin pro nitrox as a backup and for downloading and uwate bt for following the pre cut tables.

sasha

taat2d once bubbled...
Can a Suunto Vyper be used for NDL rec diving and then later be used as a bottom timer ONLY without lock out, and then cut tables for your dive?

Yes.

OK all, I gotta jump in here for a minute. The Vyper makes a nice choice as a BOTTOM TIMER in GUAGE mode. (and you have the extra $) The modes CAN NOT be changed from dive to dive /requires a 24 free period. However, the ability to download the dive profiles is worth the $ and is a great teaching tool. As for using the unit in computer mode, as someone here already stated, it matters what you consider to be proper decompression theory. While the vyper in computer mode does have some RGBM, ...... NO ONE has put all that is currently known into a diving computer other than the one we were born with.(brain)
It will not put in adequate deep stops. (drives you shallow too soon) You need part buhlmann, part RBGM, part VPM for full efficiency. anything less and you are only getting part of the story. I'd still purchase one, as it will allow you to progress from recreational/technical if you so choose without having to get an other one, give you better opportunity for resale if you decide to take up golf<G> (side note) for those that already have any computer made by any manufacturer, working or not, you can trade it in towards a vyper(worth $100 til June 15th) Bringing price down to $375 if you buy from an authorized dealer. keeping the warranty intact/supporting the LDS. Best, Bob

I use a Vyper and a OMS BT. If i'm doing a dive with stops, I run the numbers on my PC or PalmPilot and use the Vyper in Gauge Mode. If it's a NDL dive, I still use the Vyper in Nitrox mode and BT, but I look at the tables anyway. That way, if the Vyper craps out, I still have a max-depth/time record for my dive. I can always go back and figure out worst case with the BT and Tables. When I'm vacation diving an AL80, I hardly ever get close to the NDL's anyway. So I guess the computer is a waste of money, but I do like the fact that I can download my dive profile. Also, when I say tables, I mean the Wheel. That way I can plan a multilevel dive and not have to rely on a computer. Hope that helps.

-Frank

Bob Sherwood once bubbled...
However, the ability to download the dive profiles is worth the $ and is a great teaching tool............

...It will not put in adequate deep stops. (drives you shallow too soon)

Bob is on the money. Its decent in gauge mode, the download is excellent, in computer mode its one step short of unsafe in my opinion. It stacks all your stops at 10 feet. Have fun decoing on this thing.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...
in computer mode its one step short of unsafe in my opinion. It stacks all your stops at 10 feet. Have fun decoing on this thing.
By "one step short of unsafe", do you mean by providing a classic bend-and-treat profile?

I haven't used it for any planned deco dives, but I've played around in simulator mode running some VPM schedules.

Ya, the VPM schedules bend it, but one CAN apply proper deep stops, and the computer does stop adding deco time once you are above the point at which VPM indicates you begin offgassing.

The biggest problem is that it won't allow for deco gasses, and, IMHO, any "real" planned deco diving should include at least a bottle of 50% in the schedule. The Vytec fixes that, but still has all of the other problems common to all computers.

Back
Top Bottom