Do I need cold water regulators for recreational diving in the uk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the useful info, this does help. I have decided to wait until i have completed a dry suit course before buying regs, but because of all the knowledge on here i will be getting cold water regs from the start.
has anyone got a report on
Scubapro MK2 Evo/R195/R095 OCTO

not cold water regs. MK2 is an unsealed piston. You typically see that setup in rental fleets.

see my post above, that XTX200 set on ebay is a steal and infinitely better than the SP reg you asked about

hi tbone i have just looked and i see what you mean about the price, but with both me and my daughter to buy for its a bit pricey at the moment.i will just have wait and save up the cash, and wait till after the drysuit course.
That's why i looked at the scuba pro because it advertised the MK2 evo Meets new EN250-2014 standards for cold-water breathing performance or is this false advertising.

how much was the scubapro set vs the apeks set I linked to?

Also, look at Deep6 if you are mechanically inclined to service your own regulators *every 2 years recommended, and really not difficult*

The "pistons cant be good in cold water" sounds silly to me... I mean, Mk25 still has quite good reputation AFAIK.

hi tbone the scuba pro set is£215 compared to the apeks at £360 secondhand. like i said though i got to wait a couple of months yet to do the course so maybe the apeks sold by then.

The "pistons cant be good in cold water" sounds silly to me... I mean, Mk25 still has quite good reputation AFAIK.

would you take one under the ice? I have seen MK2's freeze on the surface many times, most of which was above freezing weather *barely, but still above freezing*

more important is the fact that the second stages don't have a lot of metal on them for heat sinks and the second stages are more likely to freeze than the firsts.

@Sherwoodranger I would wait until you are ready to buy, then look for Apeks second hand. They're worth the money over the Scubapro rental regs

Well:
- There's been a report of multiple membrane regs freezing recently
- Most important part of "not freezing your reg" is not the reg itself
- Metal is not all of it, it's a lot about the surface.
- I will never trust my life to a single regulator
- A regulator freeflow is not as dangerous as people try to say it is. It takes a while to drain a tank, and anyone that is venturing in overhead should know how to close a freeflowing reg.

Basically yes, I'd use Mk25 for ice diving. Mk2 not so much, more because I'm afraid of WOB than because it's a dreaded unsealed piston.

Well:
- There's been a report of multiple membrane regs freezing recently
- Most important part of "not freezing your reg" is not the reg itself
- Metal is not all of it, it's a lot about the surface.
- I will never trust my life to a single regulator
- A regulator freeflow is not as dangerous as people try to say it is. It takes a while to drain a tank, and anyone that is venturing in overhead should know how to close a freeflowing reg.

Basically yes, I'd use Mk25 for ice diving. Mk2 not so much, more because I'm afraid of WOB than because it's a dreaded unsealed piston.

membrane first stages freezing won't usually cause freeflows in the second stages. I have seen them be blocks of ice and still function.
not 100% true. While there is a lot of technique to using regulators in cold environments, there are some designs that are much less prone to issues than others. I.e. I will take a double hose, Poseidon, or old school metal housing regulator under the ice long before I'll take anything else
Metal is a lot of it for heat sinking. What surface are you talking about?
true, but if the second stage starts freeflowing, then you better have fully redundant regulators. A little excessive for most recreational diving, especially with a buddy.
Regulator freeflows don't take all that long to drain a tank. It takes just over a minute to drain an AL80 from full if the second stage freezes all the way open

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom