Feeling ripped off by LDS – please advise.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
So, would you pay $2000 for a home PC at CompUSA when you could buy it online from HP for $600? I mean if it breaks you could simply take it back to CompUSA. If you have questions about its operation, you could call CompUSA. How about if it were used to run your business. Therefore maknig it a critical machine to you. Would you buy local then and accept the $1400 markup?

That wasn't the issue, the issue was, why does a regulator cost in the hundreds of dollars when it is made of plastic and my point was that material costs alone don't determine the value of a product. Before we can determine what is an unreasonable markup, we need to know the profit margin. Brick and mortar stores have a higher cost of operation, but provide immediate access and some degree of service and no shipping charges.

I agree that it makes good sense, in general, to shop for the best deal, but all companies, on line or not, are making profits. Some just have less overhead.

Diving is no diferent from any other aspect of life. If you purchace anything, learn to shop for the best price! Once in a while, you get hosed. No need to be angry, just live and learn from it and know that there are other resourses at hand for gear.

shakeybrainsurgeon:
Before we can determine what is an unreasonable markup, we need to know the profit margin. Brick and mortar stores have a higher cost of operation, but provide immediate access and some degree of service and no shipping charges.

Can we agree that ScubaToys and leisurepro are not selling good below their cost? They are not charities, so they must be making profit to stay in business. Right?

shakeybrainsurgeon:
I agree that it makes good sense, in general, to shop for the best deal, but all companies, on line or not, are making profits. Some just have less overhead.

But the less overhead argument falls flat with shops like LeisurePro and Scubatoys. LeisurePro operates a brick and mortar store sitting in one of the most expensive cities in the world. And yet they are clearly making a profit while selling things often at 1/2 to 1/3 the prices some LDS's offer.

ScubaToys is in Dallas. Not known to be an inexpensive town. And not only do they have a brick and mortar store, unlike LeisurePro, they are AUTHORIZED resellers of the inventory they carry, AND they will match Leisurepro prices. This tells me, and others, that it is indeed possible to run a brick and mortar store, sell authorized goods, provide warranty service, and make a profit all while selling good for 1/2 to 1/3 what some LDSs are charging.

As consumers, what are we left to think?

shakeybrainsurgeon:
That wasn't the issue, the issue was, why does a regulator cost in the hundreds of dollars when it is made of plastic and my point was that material costs alone don't determine the value of a product. Before we can determine what is an unreasonable markup, we need to know the profit margin. Brick and mortar stores have a higher cost of operation, but provide immediate access and some degree of service and no shipping charges.

Couple quick points

Not all companies, online or not are making a profit. How I wish that were true...

Regulators are the lowest margin item that the manufs. make.

Margins are lower in the dive industry for both the manuf and the retailers than almost all other recreational activities.

Most small LDS owners make less than 50K a year, there was a recent poll on here on what people here make, most made more than that if I recall.

You as a brain surgeon have invested multiple thousands of dollars and time in your "product" and charge accordingly to recoup that investment and turn a profit. I promise you that dive stores (even the most successful) have lower return on investment. That doesn't mean that you are overpriced by any means, just that the supposition that the margin is too high in diving is too simplistic.

Immense:
I can’t help but feel completely ripped off

How can you feel ripped-off because you wasted 40 bucks? Extravigant, wasteful and uninformed maybe, but not ripped-off.

Yea you can and do get much better prices online for the gear you want. the flip side is that the local dive shop goes under, so now you have to shop online and buy a compressor, bank bottles, dive boat, and collect all theos pesky numbers to the wrecks.

for those that only travel to dive, this may not be a big deal, for those that dive locally it is.

yes the prices are cheaper, but when you have to pony up for the compressor and dive boat, even if you buy them online, your looking at somewhere near $50,000.00. Now what did you save shopping online again????????

Immense:
Link to the Flag / Buoy I bought:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUF...l&AdvSrchSortField=Relevance&SortDesc=0&Hit=1

I will not name the LDS where I got the flag out of respect for them.

Your opinions are appreciated

It says the flag buoy is on sale. The usual LP price is $35 so with shipping it would be at least $40 normally.

However, I'm also sick of buying locally. It's not just scuba gear. A few weeks ago I needed a small battery for a watch so I stop by a local watch/jewelry store. They charged me $8 which seemed high, but okay, it's still just a small item I thought. Later I checked on amazon.com and saw that they had a 5-pack of those same batteries for $3. Yeah, I got screwed big time. Luckily it was only 8 bucks, but I'm still sick of the feeling when you know someone screwed you over, so from now on I'll buy almost everything online, even the small items. I'll use local stores if I need to fit something or pick something up quickly, but otherwise it's not worth it unless they are willing to adjust their prices to account for online competition.

OkieDiver:
ScubaToys sells the same float for $44.50. Are they ripping people off?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Acc_float.asp

My LDS in Tulsa sells it for $44.95

www.scuba.com is selling it for $43.95 so they must be ripping people off also.

I'm guessing LP is losing money (loss leader) on this item. Just my $.02.

Be assured that LP is not losing money.

OkieDiver:
ScubaToys sells the same float for $44.50. Are they ripping people off?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Acc_float.asp

My LDS in Tulsa sells it for $44.95

www.scuba.com is selling it for $43.95 so they must be ripping people off also.

I'm guessing LP is losing money (loss leader) on this item. Just my $.02.

Scubatoys will also price match and they give 10% off to SB members if you ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom