First DPV - Your recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am still a big fan of the Torpedo 2000 and 2500. They are simple, reliable, easy to maneauver (Do you know of any other scooter that you can ride with only one hand without being hooked on? You can even switch hands and go right or left handed. I don't.) and they are priced very reasonably. I also find them to be nearly silent underwater. That's a very nice feature. I can hear Dacor and Mako scooters a long ways off when they're in the area.

Torpedo's may not be the best in all situations but in average, recreational diving they really perform well. I'm in tropical water and like the negative bouyancy of the Torpedo for parking it. I don't need much bouyancy adjustment when I set it down. It's only a little tug on my shoulder dump or a short power inflator shot when I pick it back up and everything is cool. (After many dives with these scooters, I know exactly what works and it's a breeze on the adjustment. Anyone diving a scooter should learn this.) I do think that in any scooter situation, proper bouyancy control is very important. If you have trouble getting nuetral without a scooter, work on that skill first before you get one. If everything is ballanced, they are just a blast. If you don't have it down, scooters can be very cumbersome, not fun and even dangerous.

Hi Doug

Other scooters require a tether due to the amount of thrust they produce, it is simply too much force to resolve through your hands.

On the Torpedo single handed opertation is posible because its thrust/speed/force is so low. Its not really a function of the design.

If you rode a tow behind scooter at Torpedo speeds, you too could ride it single handed.

I am searching for the Okinawan Dugoon/Manatee...possibly extinct...does any one have any information on this creature?

I am searching for the Okinawan Dugoon/Manatee...possibly extinct...does any one have any information on this creature?

Here's a example of a Okinawan Dugong. When capturing one of these large beasts you don't necessarily need fast scooters, just numbers. Three SS's & 3 Gavins will get the job done. Make sure to use Sake to entice the animal from its' lair, and then spring the trap around the girth of the "siren."

Attachments

• img.107841_t.jpg
    img.107841_t.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 73
HAHA,

I have been using my scooters to search large areas, especially looking for Dugoon grazing trails. I don't know enough about Manatees/ Dugoons to know how fast they swim, and wether the scooter is an advantage or would it be better to snorkle out. Also I wonder how good the Mantee/Dugoons hearing is and how far they can hear the scooters/DPVs. I like the DPV's as they cover a lot of ground but I wonder how much they spook the the wild life. Can you ladies and gentlemen give some indication how often do you see marine mammals (e.g. seals, dolphins, whales, and Manatees) while on a DPV?

HAHA,

I have been using my scooters to search large areas, especially looking for Dugoon grazing trails. I don't know enough about Manatees/ Dugoons to know how fast they swim, and wether the scooter is an advantage or would it be better to snorkle out. Also I wonder how good the Mantee/Dugoons hearing is and how far they can hear the scooters/DPVs. I like the DPV's as they cover a lot of ground but I wonder how much they spook the the wild life. Can you ladies and gentlemen give some indication how often do you see marine mammals (e.g. seals, dolphins, whales, and Manatees) while on a DPV?

I would imagine that a people-aversive animals would be less than appreciative of motor noise. They can get on their bicycle when they need to. When I use the scooters - all MAKO X scooter engines - shy critters head for the hills. Plus, they don't like things coming at at them which seem big. That being said, some of the Florida manatees live in very, very noisy water and don't seem to mind bigger objects, but they do tend get scarred, or killed by props.

I think your query is best served in the caving section, or marine science section as the folks there may have more direct experience?

Can you ladies and gentlemen give some indication how often do you see marine mammals (e.g. seals, dolphins, whales, and Manatees) while on a DPV?

I have seen many Dolphins, Seals, Sea lions, Sharks whilst out scootering, non appeared concerned with the scooter noise, they always appear more inquisitive.

Nor have I ever noticed any decline in large animal sightings between diving on a scooter, or without. In fact it always appears the opposite, but maybe that’s just because you travel so much further.

Here are several links to scooter, animal interaction videos:

Dolphins
Sea Lions goto time 6:05
Turtles

There is tons more video out there, thats just 3 I grabed quickly

The usual ScubaBoard thread resulting in I can go farther, faster, than you, perhaps for far more money, weight, etc. Keep your personal goals in mind. For the past couple years I have done DPV dives off Grand Cayman using Apollo AV-2 and Sea Doo VS Supercharged and have had a blast. Unless I lived somewhere I could use one very often, I am unlikely to purchase my own DPV. Get the training and try out DPVs wherever you find yourself diving.

I have seen many Dolphins, Seals, Sea lions, Sharks whilst out scootering, non appeared concerned with the scooter noise, they always appear more inquisitive.

Nor have I ever noticed any decline in large animal sightings between diving on a scooter, or without. In fact it always appears the opposite, but maybe thatÃÔ just because you travel so much further.

Here are several links to scooter, animal interaction videos:

Dolphins
Sea Lions goto time 6:05
Turtles

There is tons more video out there, thats just 3 I grabed quickly

Thanks for the video links! I am excied about getting back out on my DPV's and finding the Okinawan Dugon. If I shoot a video on my DPV of the Dugons I will post a copy for you.

Back
Top Bottom