• Yes

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 161 78.9%
  • once in a while

Votes: 17 8.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some interesting responses here.

There have only been two people who ask: my buddy(ies) and the DM. Under water, it's stupid to lie. You could put yourself or someone else at risk.

Most of my dives are from a boat. No one, besides the DM, ever asked me about my air consumption. And a lot of times I'll just show them the gauge if my air is still turned on.

Missdirected:
Ah, so you have met that person as well. I'm with you, I see those people all the time.

And this is exactly what I meant earlier with people "pulling them out to see who is bigger". I'm surprised that some have encountered this while others never have. I've done boat dives in Cozumel, Mexico and on the Niagara River with both strangers and regular divers and I recall the question always being asked by people that don't need to know which is anyone besides DM's and Buddies.

Of course my buddies never ask because they know I'm at the limit since I ended the dive. Not that I'm brutal on my air, it's just physics and the fact I'm twice the size of any of my buddies. I'm what they call a big-ole-boy.

The only reason someone besides a DM asks is because the want to compare. There are 2 schools of people that ask- new divers that are inspired at the skill of experienced divers to conserve air and cocky jerks that love to hear themselves talk about how awesome they are. I especially like the ones that that are already on the boat when I surface and tell me they have 2000 but fabricate some BS story as to why they surfaced early.

Perhaps, the question should be- Have you lied about your air only after someone else lied to you about theirs? Hell yeah! Or maybe we should discuss responses or strategies to keep these nosey people at bay? I was thinking it's be good to respond in units they wouldn't understand. Such as metric versus standard or vice versa. Or even using another unit of measure... 750 psi = 5171 kPa (kilopascal) or 750psi = 5.17106796e+25 yoctobar. See how they respond to that!:D

driftin' by:
I'm surprised that some have encountered this while others never have. I've done boat dives in Cozumel, Mexico and on the Niagara River with both strangers and regular divers and I recall the question always being asked by people that don't need to know which is anyone besides DM's and Buddies.

I'm one who has never seen this asked by complete strangers. I don't do much warm water diving though, wonder if that has anything to do with it. Those of you who have experienced this, did it tend to be after a warm or cold water dive?

Most of the time if you ask me any time after I've removed my gear I can't tell you anyway, air pressure isn't something I keep track of in my log so I don't tend to remember the exact numbers. I can often get two dives on an AL80 depending on the dive profiles so the numbers aren't going to do you much good if you don't know how many dives I have on that tank. The number is almost always 500psi or greater even after the second dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

On my first few dives I cared .. I was a hoover and wanted to check if my breathing techniques were improoving.. easiest way to do that is to compare to the rest of those I dove with.. to think... the reason my consumption got better were all of those who were lying and setting unrealistic targets.

It seemed to work, by about dive 35 I started to be one of the best on air.. Fortunately for my ego my wife the marathon runner still beats me by about 200 pounds.

Why lie to impress somebody over something as silly as that? Plus, is anyone going to trust you if they actually happen to see your SPG after you've lied about it?

I'm saving my lies for the day I have kids and have to explain that I didn't inhale. :crafty:

ajames54:
On my first few dives I cared .. I was a hoover and wanted to check if my breathing techniques were improoving.. easiest way to do that is to compare to the rest of those I dove with

This is completely different. Your attitude would show why your asking.

I don't really care who knows what my air consumption is. I am only irritated by those that want to use it as a platform to discuss how great they are or as an opening line to question others in order to compare themselves. That is all.

Then again, this is usually the moron that most seasoned diver's shy away from anywho.

Ber Rabbit:
I'm one who has never seen this asked by complete strangers. I don't do much warm water diving though, wonder if that has anything to do with it. Those of you who have experienced this, did it tend to be after a warm or cold water dive?

There is no correlation between being asked and the temp of the water. I used to do cold water diving in Ohio but it was in quarries... no boats. Then it was just me and my buddy so it never came up. Sure, when I was doing my certification dives there, it's come up in discussion with the trainers/DM's but again, that was a situation of newbie being inspired. Boat diving on the Niagara River could be considered cold water diving and there I was asked by people in our group. These trips were organized and chartered by our LDS so the people asking weren't complete strangers, just loud mouth, has-beens that you could hear before seeing. In fact, I wouldn't take trips abroad with our LDS because these same people would be on the trip and I couldn't imagine being sequestered in a foreign country for 7 nights with these kind of people.

That was why I asked. I don't do trips with shops, I've really only gone diving with people from the university program or people from Scubaboard and the people in those groups haven't behaved like that. Anyone else at the site/on the boat would be a complete stranger to me. I was just trying to figure out why I had never seen this since it seems so common judging by the posts here.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom