Hog D1 Cold Owners... I have Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normally dive the Apeks XTX200 and started diving the HOG D1 Cold. No difference in quality, air consumption, ease of breathing. Happy to have one.

I have really not been able to find any reviews, but very few reviews mentioned how deep the regs would perform or how they would hold up over time. I was left wondering if they were as good as the reviews suggested or if they were just too new to have picked up the poor reviews.
Is the best measure of reg performance how the reg functions at great depth (200+ ft.)?

People seem to like HOG regs because the price is reasonable, there is a DIY servicing path supported by the manufacturer, the included features (2nd stage breathing adjustment knob, environmentally-sealed 1st stage) are attractive, and they seem to work well.

The regs are very new to the market, though, so we don't know how long a set of HOG regs might last. I do hope that the company succeeds and continues on. So far, the manufacturer has been very good in addressing customer service issues and has been able to put together a dealer network consisting of some of the best online retailers in the industry. I'd say that's a pretty good start.

If you ever end up doing deep tech dives, you'll realize that saving $100-$200 on your first set of regs will seem insignificant next to all the money you're spending on a drysuit, tanks, trimix fills, and boat charters.

FWIW, there are a lot of good regs out there on the market. I'd recommend buying a robust, middle-of-the-line reg that you can get serviced locally by competent reg tech. Understand that the in-water performance of the reg will depend heavily on the skill of the reg tech that tuned/serviced/overhauled it last.

Is the best measure of reg performance how the reg functions at great depth (200+ ft.)?

I didn't mean it to sound as though that was the only factor in determining the quality of a regulator. It was just one question that I didn't have an immediate answer for. I am also a little hesitant to fully trust reviews on websites that offer incentives for the review. A very large portion of the reviews that I found came from those types of sites, and i'm not sure that I completely trust the reviews to be unbiased. So, I asked the question here because a regulator that functions flawlessly at 60 feet, but is a poor performer below 100 feet would be a poor choice considering my goals for the next 3 years (which includes dives on wrecks below 100 and one below 200).

I know that I can get the regulator serviced because the edge gear hq is actually next door to the shop where I plan to buy from (a short drive from home). The price difference between the hog reg and the atomic M1 (which I had initially wanted to purchase prior to researching the hog regs) is nearly 300 dollars. Plus when some of the packages offered by my lds are factored in, the setup will end up saving me more than double that amount. I'm not opposed to spending money, but I do prefer to save some when possible.

If you are breathing them at 200 feet, they should be nice and easy due to the helium in the mix :D , as far as longevity, they are not built any different than any other apeks clones. they should last as long as they continue to receive good service and TLC.

I didn't mean it to sound as though that was the only factor in determining the quality of a regulator. It was just one question that I didn't have an immediate answer for.
Fair enough.
I am also a little hesitant to fully trust reviews on websites that offer incentives for the review. A very large portion of the reviews that I found came from those types of sites, and i'm not sure that I completely trust the reviews to be unbiased. So, I asked the question here because a regulator that functions flawlessly at 60 feet, but is a poor performer below 100 feet would be a poor choice considering my goals for the next 3 years (which includes dives on wrecks below 100 and one below 200).
Yeah. I hear ya. Unbiased reviews are hard to come by. I've read some of the positive "reviews" of the HOG regs by other SB posters on this and other threads. There have been a few instances where a person has only put 20-50 dives on the regs and gives it a "glowing" review. I prefer to hear that people have put hundreds/thousands dives on a particular reg in all types of conditions and the regs have survived several overhauls over 10+ years. Unfortunately, the HOG regs haven't been around long enough to evaluate long-term wear/performance.
I know that I can get the regulator serviced because the edge gear hq is actually next door to the shop where I plan to buy from (a short drive from home). The price difference between the hog reg and the atomic M1 (which I had initially wanted to purchase prior to researching the hog regs) is nearly 300 dollars. Plus when some of the packages offered by my lds are factored in, the setup will end up saving me more than double that amount. I'm not opposed to spending money, but I do prefer to save some when possible.
Seems like you already know what the best plan is for you.
Enjoy the HOG regs... :)

One of my goals is durability...simply because I hate cheaply made regulators, no matter how well they perform.

They have 3 years on the market now.

I didn't mean it to sound as though that was the only factor in determining the quality of a regulator. It was just one question that I didn't have an immediate answer for. I am also a little hesitant to fully trust reviews on websites that offer incentives for the review. A very large portion of the reviews that I found came from those types of sites, and i'm not sure that I completely trust the reviews to be unbiased. So, I asked the question here because a regulator that functions flawlessly at 60 feet, but is a poor performer below 100 feet would be a poor choice considering my goals for the next 3 years (which includes dives on wrecks below 100 and one below 200).

You are looking way too far ahead. By the time you really start tech dive, another set of regulators, the cost is low compare to other equipment you need. Just for reference, the gas cost for a tec1 kind of dive is in the hundres of $$. So don't concern too much about the long and expansive future.

the gas cost for a tec1 kind of dive is in the hundres of $$.

Bit of an exaggeration, eh? Under $100 at the rates most people pay. Much less if you have your own T-bottle.

You are looking way too far ahead. By the time you really start tech dive, another set of regulators, the cost is low compare to other equipment you need. Just for reference, the gas cost for a tec1 kind of dive is in the hundres of $$. So don't concern too much about the long and expansive future.

I think I have to disagree with you just a bit. The whole reason that I am looking ahead is simply because I know where I want to go, and what I want to see with my own eyes. Not just look at the pictures someone brought back. For example, I really want to dive the Oriskany, but She is in 220 feet of water. I don't plan on making that dive this year or even next. But I do have a plan to make it happen in the next 3 years.

I understand that it may appear that I'm looking ahead too far, but I just see it as having a plan to do the things I want to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom