Hog D1 Cold Owners... I have Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big O you are looking at doubles, and deco, and probably trimix for 220, so you are looking at at least 3 sets of regs if not more, I wouldn't sweat the purchase of your first set for open water too much. HOG regs are a good value

the sand on the O is somewhat boring, to the deck is a great Tech 1 level dive and to really enjoy have a penetration card and full Mix and about 6 stages....:D

I just bought a set of HOGs purely because of the service kits. Other than that, I would have stuck with my ScubaPros. There's something to be said for having a supplier that understands me.

Thought about this some more and the comments about cost really got under my skin. The OP didn't say he was looking for the cheapest, he merely said that if they were about equivalent the cost was a nice bonus.

I will pay just about any amount for great training, but to me saving money on equipment where similar quality can be obtained for less is a no brainer.

Bit of an exaggeration, eh? Under $100 at the rates most people pay. Much less if you have your own T-bottle.

Maybe a bit, but less than $100 is a bit optimistic too. Let's say you use 21/35, which allow you let you go down to ~190 on PPO 1.4. Your back guess is HP100s. That is 70cf of He (~$1/cf), 42cf of O2 ($0.6/cf). Back gas alone is $95. If you add a 50% stage & and 100% deco, you breathing gas will cost more than $100. Don't forget Argon since you are using He.

I think I have to disagree with you just a bit. The whole reason that I am looking ahead is simply because I know where I want to go, and what I want to see with my own eyes. Not just look at the pictures someone brought back. For example, I really want to dive the Oriskany, but She is in 220 feet of water. I don't plan on making that dive this year or even next. But I do have a plan to make it happen in the next 3 years.

I understand that it may appear that I'm looking ahead too far, but I just see it as having a plan to do the things I want to do.

Looking forward is good. What I meant was the cost regulator at this poing of your diving training is very minimal compare to the over all cost of a 30 min dive at 220ft. So do not think your first reg will be your last. Anything you buy today, it will NOT be the last time you will buy it.

I believe this depth calls for GUE Tech2 or equivalent. If you are going GUE route, which I highly recommend, the training itself will probably cost your $5000 or more (fundie, tech1, tech2 fees, gas bill for all of these, possibly need to travel to complete them). Equipment wise, you are looking at 5 to 6 reg (2 for double back gas, 2-3 for stage/deco, 1 for argon), 2-3 wings alone the way, multiple tanks ... It costs to do tech dives.

If cost is not an issue for you. I will suggest to buy 2 set of Atomic M1. Use the 2nd set's 2nd stage as octo for your single tank. When you move to double, 2nd 1st stage come in handhy. Atomic reg is very well proven in tech diving. It is piston design, which argueably a more preferable design unless you are diving extreme cold water. 2 year service internval also help to reduce long term cost. HOG makes good reg too, just lack of time.

Last edited:
I just bought a set of HOGs purely because of the service kits. Other than that, I would have stuck with my ScubaPros. There's something to be said for having a supplier that understands me.
@aquaregia: But have you taken an officially sanctioned HOG reg repair course? Without taking such a course, you won't know all of the torque specs and minor ins-and-outs of servicing the HOG regs since the manufacturer does not allow free access to reg repair manuals. AFAIK, the manuals are only given to people who take the reg repair course. Moreover, do you hold a tech-level certification which would qualify you to take such a course? I know I don't.

You are looking way too far ahead. By the time you really start tech dive, another set of regulators, the cost is low compare to other equipment you need. Just for reference, the gas cost for a tec1 kind of dive is in the hundres of $$. So don't concern too much about the long and expansive future.
I also disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with treating a regulator purchase as a lifetime buy. Regulators should not be disposable, and it's only logical to look for good performance. Advising a new diver to buy a cheap, low performance entry level reg will not save him any money if he wants to stick with diving for the long term. Sooner or later the diver will end up buying a better performer - why not start from the begining with the right equipment. IMHO, it is best to buy equipment with a long term vision in mind.

Maybe a bit, but less than $100 is a bit optimistic too. Let's say you use 21/35, which allow you let you go down to ~190 on PPO 1.4. Your back guess is HP100s. That is 70cf of He (~$1/cf), 42cf of O2 ($0.6/cf). Back gas alone is $95. If you add a 50% stage & and 100% deco, you breathing gas will cost more than $100. Don't forget Argon since you are using He.

Yes, it's true that if you round all the numbers to their highest conceivable value you can get it just barely over $100 (still not near the $300 you mentioned).

Since you mentioned GUE in the same post, I'll use Tech 1 numbers here. Highest I've seen for a typical shop He fill is around $0.90/cu ft. At least some GUE instructors prefer AL80 doubles, and you certainly don't need anything more than that to do a T1 dive (170 feet not the 190 that you listed). Moreover, there will likely be some gas still in your tanks (more feasible at the T1 level since you won't be diving more than 32 or 21/35). So it's 174cu ft not 200, $0.90 not $1.00, etc. etc. Which brings a typical dive to under $100 by a reasonable margin.

I also disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with treating a regulator purchase as a lifetime buy. Regulators should not be disposable, and it's only logical to look for good performance. Advising a new diver to buy a cheap, low performance entry level reg will not save him any money if he wants to stick with diving for the long term. Sooner or later the diver will end up buying a better performer - why not start from the begining with the right equipment. IMHO, it is best to buy equipment with a long term vision in mind.

And where did I ever, ever advise that.

Yes, it's true that if you round all the numbers to their highest conceivable value you can get it just barely over $100 (still not near the $300 you mentioned).

Since you mentioned GUE in the same post, I'll use Tech 1 numbers here. Highest I've seen for a typical shop He fill is around $0.90/cu ft. At least some GUE instructors prefer AL80 doubles, and you certainly don't need anything more than that to do a T1 dive (170 feet not the 190 that you listed). Moreover, there will likely be some gas still in your tanks (more feasible at the T1 level since you won't be diving more than 32 or 21/35). So it's 174cu ft not 200, $0.90 not $1.00, etc. etc. Which brings a typical dive to under $100 by a reasonable margin.

Fair enough. However, I have never mentiond the number $300 either. Maybe I didn't say it right. I should have said the cost can easily go above $100, which is ususally what I see. Most people in my area dive with steel tanks, LP85 and HP100 are very common for tech divers. I have seen bigger.

Last edited:
And where did I ever, ever advise that.
And where did I ever claim you where the one doing the advising to buy a cheap reg...

You did say "don't concern too much about the long and expansive future." Therein lies my disagreement. I said, "IMHO, it is best to buy equipment with a long term vision in mind. "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom