Hog D1 Cold Owners... I have Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough. However, I have never mentiond the number $300 either. Maybe I didn't say it right. I should have said the cost can easily go above $100, which is ususally what I see. Most people in my area dive with steel tanks, LP85 and HP100 are very common for tech divers. I have seen bigger.

Sorry, I mis-remembered. You said 'hundreds of $$'.

My point is that unless you're dumping gas way too often, the amount of gas you use is the amount you pay for. That's the same whether you put it in 100's or 80's.

Thanks again for all the input. I am going to see if the dive shop has any that I can try out, and I'll see what I think after that.

Also, has anyone tried hog's balanced piston 1st stage? And if so, can you compare/contrast it with the diaphragm version as far as performance and reliability?

Also, has anyone tried hog's balanced piston 1st stage? And if so, can you compare/contrast it with the diaphragm version as far as performance and reliability?
I haven't demoed the HOG balanced piston reg, but I have used other manufacturers' implementations of that 1st stage design.
I'm fairly confident that HOG sells a lot more of the environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm 1st stages.
I wouldn't sweat the theoretical differences in maximum gas delivery between the two designs.
In real-world usage, you'll never bump up against those max specs anyway.
In a blind trial, I'd be very surprised if you could tell the difference between the two 1st stage designs.
Get whatever floats your boat.

In a blind trial, I'd be very surprised if you could tell the difference between the two 1st stage designs.

You are probably right there.

Well, I am now a Hog D1 owner. The unit looks and feels very sturdy, and I'll sure to post my thoughts as soon as possible after diving with it.

Also, if you are anywhere near Macon, GA... The folks at divers supply were incredibly helpful and knowledgable. And their price was right for me today. I haven't dealt with their online sales department, but the in store service was excellent!

HOG Reg rocks! Just back from a week of hard diving and my Brand New HOG breathed just as good as my high end SP Mk25/G250's. REALLY. Max D was 125fsw @ Punta Sur/Devil's Throat. Work of Breathing was just like sitting in an easy chair. I'm inpressed and sold on em.
Consider this a Professional Endorsement.
Your local S.E. TX HOG Dealer:wink:
Bill Childers NAUI 5709L CD/IANTD 1982

I've had a set of D1 sealed cold waters on my doubles for about 1.5 yrs. They have around 100+ dives in 50 deg F water to 140-150' range in my local diving spot and 6 dives to ~160' in 39 deg F water with no troubles and working well. I ended up buying 4 more of them to put them on all my stage and deco bottles back in March of this year. I've yet to have any trouble out of those either

I have been using a HOG D1 reg for the last year. It is similar to Apeks regs from which I suspect the design was taken. The costs are reasonable for the regs and the quality is pretty good. I do not do much deep diving anymore but have had it to 80 feet in New England and I am happy with the performance. I do a lot of photography and I find there is limited bubble interference which is important to me. All in all I would recommend the reg especially for the budget conscious. I did put on polyester hoses and it makes the reg even better...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom