I don't understand any of this - just tell me what to buy! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tsaven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
tl;dr - Need to buy an octopus and everything, have NO IDEA what specifically to buy. Will be soon doing 10+ dives every week for at least two years, in a tropical shore-dive environment.

Hey guys! This is my first post on this board, I found this place via google because I'm about to get back into diving in a big way, but I've got NO IDEA what to buy!

Here's my situation: I started diving when I was 13, and dove pretty regularly on vacations up until I was 19, but since then I've only dove once (I'm 26 now). When I was diving I always rented gear. I had my own fins, mask, snorkle and wetsuits, but never my own BCD, regulator, octopus or computer.

And now I find myself heading to Kwajalein Atoll, in the Marshall Islands, for a two-year contract. I need to own all my own gear save for tanks. But looking at various sites and catalougs, I'm quickly overwhelmed by what's available, and the massive price ranges. I don't even know where to start!

What would you guys recommend I get in terms of a regulator and octopus, given my experience level, environment, and likely usage? Reliability is pretty important, as it takes at least 2-3 weeks to ship anything out there if I need replacement parts.

Contact scubatoys.com or divesports.com. Either one will take care of your without taking advantage of you.

What awap said.

Also keep in mind that regulators have come a long way. I can't say that any particular brand of modern regulator isn't reliable. I like Mares. Their regs are built like tanks and can take a lot. I've known some to go years without even being serviced and still functioning fine (not that I suggest it). You can spend anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

I use the Mares MR22. I've had it for about 8 years now. It has enough frequent flier miles to go around the world more than once. I have *never* had a problem with it. It took me from OW to MSDT and I love it. New they are around 400. You can get better deals on eBay. Sometimes you can get a steal on used gear but that can be hit or miss. Here is the MR-22 at dive booty...

Mares MR-22 Abyss Regulator - Mares Scuba Regulators

Although Scubatoys and Divesports are excellent online retailers, they may not carry brands that are locally serviceable in the Marshall Islands. That's definitely something to consider. Once you figure that out, purchase a middle-of-the-range, robust reg that has the features you like. For instance, if Aqualung is supported in the Marshall Islands, a solid choice would be the Titan. I'm not as familiar with the Scubapro line. Perhaps awap could recommend something.

I'd make it a priority to find a trustworthy local reg tech in the Marshall Islands. You'll be using your regs heavily, so periodic overhauls/tuning will be critical to performance. It might also make sense for you to buy a backup set of service kits for the regs before you travel there.

Good luck!

Are you planning on getting stuff serviced down there, or doing it yourself?

Thanks for the quick responces guys! I called ScubaToys, and the guy I spoke with pointed me at the Oceanic Delta 4, saying it was an excellent reg and was on sale. Do you guys have any opinion on it?

Thanks for the quick responces guys! I called ScubaToys, and the guy I spoke with pointed me at the Oceanic Delta 4, saying it was an excellent reg and was on sale. Do you guys have any opinion on it?
I've heard that the Delta 4 is a great reg. But what happens if it requires servicing in the Marshall Islands? Is there a reg tech there who has the knowledge to work on Oceanic regs and ready access to brand-specific parts?

I'd contact dive shops in the Marshall Islands or other divers there to see what can be serviced locally.

Good points about servicing. What sort of service is usually required on regs? Are they something that need regular adjustments and maintenance? Or is it just something worried about breaking?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom