Looking for mature answers regarding Pee-Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich, Did you make that quick disconnect or did you buy it? Looks like a great idea.

MechDiver:
They're a bought item, with a couple of sources.

...and the sources are?

As a recent p-valve buyer I'll add a couple of comments --

- Most condom caths can be worn up to 24 hours (made for incontinence problems), so no problem having them on all day. I've had them on for 8-9 hours at a time with no discomfort (assuming you follow the personal grooming guidance -- if you've got hairs in the adhesive, they can get uncomfortable real fast.....)

- I usually put mine on before I leave home...the last thing I want to do is put it on in a dark, heaving head.....visions of a rocking boat and hair stuck in the adhesive....

- I've been using the Wideband caths from Rochester medical, so-called because they have a wider band of adhesive in the condom. Rochester has a website that has a bunch of good cath information, including basic usage info, a condom "sizer" that you can print out, etc. You can also request free samples from their website -- they will send you 3 samples of three different sizes. They adhere so well that they definitely take some time to get off..... Check the "User Education" page for helpful info on sizing, putting it on, etc. Once you figure out what size you need, you can order them from various on-line sources. I think I saw a link for Allegro medical above -- my first shipment (which I am still using) arrived in less than a day.

http://www.rocm.com/02x01f.html

- The location of the p-valve can be determined by personal anatomy..i.e., which way do you usually hang (right vs. left)

- Mind the hose routing/tension on the hose. It definitely helps to have a strategy regarding your undergarments and where the valve is. P-valve hoses can be trimmed for length once you decide how you will route things.

- Discreetly test before entering the water (and without peeing all over the boat). I've definitely had trouble "getting things going" if I wait to try until I get deeper in the water...

- Make sure you have the cath far enough onto the hose

- Make sure you're giving yourself a couple of good squeezes once you get the cath on to ensure a good seal. Too many wrinkles in the cath indicates you may be wearing one that is too big.

- I had mine installed whem I bought it, so I'm not much help there.

Hope this helps -- good luck.

CALI68:
Can someone give me the whole rundown on Extreme Exposure's pee valves. I have done a bunch of research on them but now I need practicle info.

When do you put on the condom (especially on a crowded dive boat)?

Are they uncomfortable?

Is it really as easy as they say to install the valve on a Drysuit?

They say to use Aqua Seal is that the "original" Aqua Seal or the Neo. Cement?

Anything else you may want to ad would be great.

Is this a "guys only" type of gizmo or is there something similar out there for women (granted I just can't visualize how that would work)?

PF

Just got back from buying one. I got the Extreme Exposure Balanced unit (no pun intended) Now I'm looking at my Dry Suit...very scary! I have heard conflicting views on how to attach it. Some here have said use regular Aqua Seal and DUI says use Silicon. What have you Guys found to be the best?

BTW I did do a search and couldn't find much of anything I was looking for. This thread has been a huge help!

CALI68:
Just got back from buying one. I got the Extreme Exposure Balanced unit (no pun intended) Now I'm looking at my Dry Suit...very scary! I have heard conflicting views on how to attach it. Some here have said use regular Aqua Seal and DUI says use Silicon. What have you Guys found to be the best?

BTW I did do a search and couldn't find much of anything I was looking for. This thread has been a huge help!

When i installed mine i used aqua seal with no problems. Also remeber to make the hole slightly smaller than needed so the fabric stretches around the threaded portion making a nice tight seal. I used a soldering iron to make the hole and worked really well.

Back
Top Bottom