Looking for mature answers regarding Pee-Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't a woman go with a catheter? If it wasn't inserted too far and then taped down tight? I wonder if that would be hard to pee through though. Rather restricting, and it may be possible to get an infection from it.

Might require a good shave too, but then lots of woman do that anyways.

Or perhaps a special cup with straps that seals against the body and has a valve on it. Not sure it would be possible to seal that reliably though. im thinking of something like a cup from a jock strap kinda thing?

Rimp:
Couldn't a woman go with a catheter? If it wasn't inserted too far and then taped down tight? I wonder if that would be hard to pee through though. Rather restricting, and it may be possible to get an infection from it.

Might require a good shave too, but then lots of woman do that anyways.

Or perhaps a special cup with straps that seals against the body and has a valve on it. Not sure it would be possible to seal that reliably though. im thinking of something like a cup from a jock strap kinda thing?

In the third paragraph of this article on the DUI website they inply that there is something other than diapers.

Check it out:
http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/tech_p_valves.htm

diveh3:
Do you guys keep the valve screw in during your dive on balanced P/Vs or do you pull it until after the dive?
I leave the screw in my truck, even for shorter dives where I elect not to "plug in" (and I really wish that I HAD on my last lobster dive this weekend)

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of having the outlet plugged while allowing air from the suit to equalize with the two check valves. Seems to me it would leave the valve with anywhere from 2-5 (or 10) ATA between the screw and the two check valves, which can't be good for the valves.

RichLockyer:
Original (thick) Aqua Seal and Rochester Widebands.
Don't be proud... EVERYONE uses medium... cold water shrinkage will humble the most proud man and having one blow off is NOT fun.

The other part that's not fun is stuffing INTO the thing before getting cold.

For modesty, I added a quick disconnect:
image005.jpg

This allows me to put the condom on AND work it onto the hose in private, then when getting into the suit, simply pop it on.

It does make using the head between dives interesting though.

I wouldn't go that far.. but I do recommend making sure its a very snug fit (you will get shrinkage, and a pop off is very unpleasent).. Different manufacturers and even different versions from the same manufacturer have different sizes..

Medium works for the majority of men.. I have meds that fit snugly and are no problem at all, I have had others that there was no way in hell I was getting the damn thing on..

Some manufacturers sell an intermediate size which again varies by a few mm.. I have one type I can use without any problems even in the coldest water, another version from the same manufacturer.. well I always used to pray before I attempted to relieve myself..

Off hand I dont remember which is which.. I just know which box at home to pull from...

Take the damn thing off in the shower, its much less painful, especially if you were careless (or very tired) when equipping yourself, otherwise you'll feel like crying..

As for Pee valves themselves there are several removable ones.. The Diverite/OMS version are pretty large but I find its very easy to clean (its removable) and seems to offer the least resistance when trying to use it..

The ones that come with ANDY's drysuits are also very easy to work with and clean.. I prefer pee valves that can be removed and not have to be glued in..

RichLockyer:
I leave the screw in my truck, even for shorter dives where I elect not to "plug in" (and I really wish that I HAD on my last lobster dive this weekend)

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of having the outlet plugged while allowing air from the suit to equalize with the two check valves. Seems to me it would leave the valve with anywhere from 2-5 (or 10) ATA between the screw and the two check valves, which can't be good for the valves.

Rich, Now I'm confused, The bolt that I have has a hole in it (not just through the verticle shaft but across the shaft near the bolt head. I thought you just unscrew it a bit and dive/pee but now that you mention it why is there an o ring on that bolt. Let me rephrase this. How do you use the pee valve once it's installed and the cath is in place?

-Confused Chris in San Jose. :)

There should be an o-ring on the bolt... that is what seals it when screwed all the way in.

If you have a balanced valve you can leave the bolt out but run the risk of a suit flood if the check valve fails at the same time you blow off the cath. If you plan on leaving the bolt out it would be prudent to keep it ziptied to a boltsnap in your pocket.

Uncle Pug:
There should be an o-ring on the bolt... that is what seals it when screwed all the way in.

If you have a balanced valve you can leave the bolt out but run the risk of a suit flood if the check valve fails at the same time you blow off the cath. If you plan on leaving the bolt out it would be prudent to keep it ziptied to a boltsnap in your pocket.

I have a balanced pee valve. Should I just leave the bolt slightly unscrewed when I'm hooked up and ready to dive/pee and then on days where I choose not to use the pee valve do I screw it on tight? What's this talk about a suit flood and a failed check valve? Now I'm getting worried. How do I avoid that. What I need is a step by step instruction of how to use it once it's hooked and and the cath is in place. The Halcyon manual litterally ends by saying "Let the Aquaseal dry to manufacturers specs. Then, go diving and enjoy a new level of comfort and freedom!" Nothing about how to "use it"

I'm really sorry but this is super new to me.

Thanks for the help.
-Chris

Back
Top Bottom