Looking for mature answers regarding Pee-Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68:
Just got back from buying one. I got the Extreme Exposure Balanced unit (no pun intended) Now I'm looking at my Dry Suit...very scary! I have heard conflicting views on how to attach it. Some here have said use regular Aqua Seal and DUI says use Silicon. What have you Guys found to be the best?
Aqua Seal. Hell... that's what DUI uses to seal their seams, dunno why they'd recommend something else for this.

I got my original QD from Sport Chalet... it was intended for use with a Camelback hydration system (no, I don't use the same one for both!), but they no longer have the kind with the shutoff (on the suit side), so I got the one for my new suit from McMaster.

5012K83 Acetal Quick-Disconnect Tube Coupling, Socket For 3/8" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off 1 Each
This one went on the suit. It shuts off when disconnected so if the balance valve fails when I'm not using it, it won't flood.

5012K72 Acetal Quick-Disconnect Tube Coupling, Plug For 3/8"TUBE Id, 1/4" Coupler, Straight Thru 1 Each
This one goes on my side.

CALI68:
Just got back from buying one. I got the Extreme Exposure Balanced unit (no pun intended) Now I'm looking at my Dry Suit...very scary! I have heard conflicting views on how to attach it. Some here have said use regular Aqua Seal and DUI says use Silicon. What have you Guys found to be the best?

BTW I did do a search and couldn't find much of anything I was looking for. This thread has been a huge help!
Flip through the manual; there's actually some decent info in there.

Spectre:
But.. to answer your question. It's my understanding that it's a trust thing. You can trust you got it hooked up right and not kinked... or you can test it.

This is the most important issue you will face when first "testing" your P-valve. Every time I get in the water I question wether it is hooked up still.

If you are looking for Wide Bands, I have 50 size large for sale. $2.75 ea. Since you're local I'll give you free shipping.
P.M. me.
Robert

Did any of you Guys have to cut a hole in your undergarments? Routing through the zipper isn't gonna work for me. Also where does that check valve sit? Against your thigh?

pipefish:
Is this a "guys only" type of gizmo or is there something similar out there for women (granted I just can't visualize how that would work)?

PF

You know I have heard rumors of such things for women but never yet actually laid my eyes on them...

They would work similar to urine catch bags for baby girls I would imagine, but who knows for sure. They are just the illusive unknowns out there.

Kimber -- forever with P-valve envy...

Robert Phillips:
This is the most important issue you will face when first "testing" your P-valve. Every time I get in the water I question wether it is hooked up still.
That's what I like about the QD... it won't rotate once it's connected, but you don't have to worry about the orientation of the hose when pushing the tip of the condom over the hose barb because you can rotate and un-kink it when plugging into the suit.

CALI68:
Did any of you Guys have to cut a hole in your undergarments? Routing through the zipper isn't gonna work for me. Also where does that check valve sit? Against your thigh?

I had to put a buttonhole in one undergarment, but not the other. Just depends on how the zipper fits you. The balance valve lays against your thigh, I prefer it goes toward the inside. I also have a balance valve that fits entirely inside the hose (thanks Jamie!).

You also don't need Aqua Seal or silicone to seal the valve. Cut a circle of latex from an old seal to match the OD of the valve, cut a 3/8" dia hole in it and place it outside the suit, under the washer. Thats all you need.

CALI68:

My undergarment (SoftWear) came with a slot, mid groin on the left side for routing the hose.

I cut the hole and mounted the primary valve on the inside of my left thy, right in the middle. The balanced valve just hangs out where ever. I think the balanced valve/tube on my p-valve heads up towards the top of my thigh, and rests somewhere below my groin area.

Suit squeeze can make it a bit uncomfortable when you start using the valve (back pressure), so either add enough air in the suit, or use the valve at the surface. I've done both, and after I remembered to add air to the suit, I haven't had any problems using it at depth.

~ Jason

Do you guys keep the valve screw in during your dive on balanced P/Vs or do you pull it until after the dive?

Removing the Cath. is quite painful as I learned the hard way earlier today.

Back
Top Bottom