Looking to get 1st canister light...Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't "mind" having an extra light, because I can't stand diving any more with somebody who hasn't got one. But the $700 could have bought something else, like maybe a second set of 85s . . . :)

do it easy:
Have a look at the Sartek lights www.sarind.com

I haven't bought one, but I figure if I get enough people to buy them, they can test them for me before I spend the cash. :wink:

I have the Sartek 13/21 watt with focusable head and give it extremely high marks. Nice small cannister, easy to use adjustable goodman handle. The heads a little big, but I guess it has to be to develop the rated lumens with the 21 watt output on high. The burn time is something like 5 hours, and I've never been able to run it down. I've used it in salt water to 110 ft. and fresh water to 135 ft. and I'm sure it's no where near it's limits. The best thing I like about it is the adjustable output. Low for long burn time and when I really want to light up something to get a better look, switch it to high.

Obviously, the adjustable is more versatile, but honestly, I've never used anything other than the narrowest beam anyway...

We are in NC so no cave diving for us but you are welcome to come dive with us and rent one of our lights. We do trips to all around and have some decent quarry dives locally. We are going wreck diving tomorrow.

Brent

JKSteger:
Funny you mentioned that Diveprof,
I was actually looking at getting 2 of these lights as backups. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Impact XL or the Tec 40. I also read on The Deco Stop that alot of the tec divers are also using the Tec 40 as backup lights. Are you using the Tec 40 Halogen light? I would imagine if it cuts thru the particulates over at Thurmond it would work in Lanier too.

J:

I use the Tec 40 Halogen for my lake diving. Again, I am an acknowledged minimalist when it comes to light - fresh or salt. With particulates in the water - i.e. Lanier or Clark Hill, much of the light just gets reflected back -it is brighter, but I won't say more useful vision. A dive bud of mine uses the DR can. The other week I did a dive with him and didn't use my light much on purpose. It was a low vis situation. Lots of light and "brightness" in the immediate 3-6', but not really more clarity -just reflected light. For the low vis lake, I like the Tec 40 halogen. I don't use it until my night vision wears thin. Hey, we dive our lake at 100' Aug -Mar with no lights. It is like diving on a full moon lit night. Vis is 15-20' - I can see the outline and major features of our wall very well, but thrown on the light and it drops to 6' or so due to the particulate reflection. Come over to the dark side said Darth V.:D

OK caves and other high tec stuff I would consider a different light - a can, but for low vis lake and carib reef night or day, I like the tec 40 halogen (@ $12.95).Small package, reliable, bright, cheap. Dive shops and retailers will not want to hear this. Oh, I keep a 4 C cell back up Ikelite for a back-up, but the Tec 40 is so reliable that I usually just change the bats out of it every year just in case I need it. The Tec 40 is a twist on so it does take a little practice when using it as a backup to make sure that it doesn't come on unplanned.

Thanks for you input diveprof. I am going to order 2 of these Tec 40's. At the low price of $12.95 if they don't work out for me diving I will use them as my camping lights.

J:

JKSteger:
Thanks for you input diveprof. I am going to order 2 of these Tec 40's. At the low price of $12.95 if they don't work out for me diving I will use them as my camping lights.

J:

Hey, I even use rechargeable AAs in this light. Talk about savings :D . Sorry we missed you at Jocassee. We're going to plan another day trip in the next two weeks. Have a wedding to attend Memorial Day weekend. (wedding/memorial day - go figure)Trees at 70' were cool for shore diving. Heck I used my lights for 38 min. on 3 dives, I'll charge them up again. I have had these lights as deep as 200' with no problem. It was the perfect light for Devil's Throat in Coz, (and the other caves/swim throughs below) nearby - we did 20 min of deco...

I've got a Sartek 10w with the mini (not micro) battery pack, 4.5 LiIon. It's brighter than everybody I dive with who doesn't have a can light, and I thought it was pretty nice until some scooter guys showed up behind me with a 35W and turned the seafloor into a surgical suite with their illumination.
The Sartek is nice, very slim for the can and the lighthead, they can come with wetmates. Check out the prices on the site, pretty competetive. Also uses a turn switch rather than a recessed toggle, which I prefer. I've done 3 hour-long dives before recharging (on separate days, I keep the battery pack uncharged in the frig between dives) I haven't done a burn test however. I got mine from an Ebay seller for new for under $450, but he hasn't listed any more lately (maybe got fired from Sartek?).
gomi_

do it easy:
Have a look at the Sartek lights www.sarind.com

I haven't bought one, but I figure if I get enough people to buy them, they can test them for me before I spend the cash. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom