My wetsuit, my wetsuit. My kingdom for a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll chime in with the full length with a hooded vest. It's worked pretty well for me, but I must admit that it's barely enough on those deep dives (80-100ft), when water temp is below 50... A drysuit is in my future...

Alex

My vote is for the one piece suit. I have used the farmer john style, but I prefer the one piece streamer, I have a very flexible system with three components. The streamer works great by itself. I can easily add additional components as the temp drops.

- 7mm steamer alone
- 7mm streamer + 5mm hooded vest (under streamer)
- 7mm streamer + 5mm hooded vest + 1.5mm shorty (under every thing) For the really cold stuff. With this I have the same core insulation as with the farmer john, but in my opinion, a better fit.
- 1.5mm shorty only for those tropical trips.

Dive1Dennis:
My vote is for the one piece suit. I have used the farmer john style, but I prefer the one piece streamer, I have a very flexible system with three components. The streamer works great by itself. I can easily add additional components as the temp drops.

- 7mm steamer alone
- 7mm streamer + 5mm hooded vest (under streamer)
- 7mm streamer + 5mm hooded vest + 1.5mm shorty (under every thing) For the really cold stuff. With this I have the same core insulation as with the farmer john, but in my opinion, a better fit.
- 1.5mm shorty only for those tropical trips.
Dennis,
Just out of curiosity since I haven't dived in a one piece 7 mil...only the farmer John 7/7. I like it for the ocean here in the NE but it is often too warm in thesummer lakes.
How cold/warm do you dive the straight 7?
Bob

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
What is the benefit of a 2 piece vs a single; say a farmer john/jacket vs a full suit?
every seam or opening lets water flow...the fewer openings the better,
just bought a 1mm full, a 3mm full and a 3mm shorty,
the combinations make for a good range of options;
from 1mm sun protection in warm water to a possible 7mm on the core and 4mm on arms and legs, and several variations in between,
too cold for 7mm on the body and I'm diving dry

costi:
Dennis,
Just out of curiosity since I haven't dived in a one piece 7 mil...only the farmer John 7/7. I like it for the ocean here in the NE but it is often too warm in thesummer lakes.
How cold/warm do you dive the straight 7?
Bob
Bob, I am not sure I have experience to be able to help you, but I will relay what experience I can.
I have dove with the 7mm streamer and 5mm hooded vest combo from around 59F (Bonne Terre mine last spring) down to high 40s. Colder than that I add the 1.5mm shorty. Unfortunately, except maybe at the surface the water around here never gets very warm, so I don't have any real experience warmer than 60F. I can tell you that in 75F to 77F water in the Bahamas I was diving with a 3mm streamer and my 1.5mm shorty, no hood, no gloves without a problem. My guesstimate, for me would be that the 7mm streamer alone would probably do the job in high 60s.
Of course duration has a lot to do with it. A deep dive with a short safety stop above the thermocline (summer) is a lot less chilling than the entire dive temp at 40, as often happens here in early and late seasons. For that, and most of my diving for that matter, I have invested in a dry suit.:D

Back
Top Bottom