Novice boat dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The advice that has been given to me for almost all the boat rides I have gone is to take Dramamine or Bonine the night before, then 1 hour prior to sailing. The reason they have given is that it helps make sure it is fully in your system, not sure if that is true but I have never gotten seasick following the advice either. If you are getting a little green, find something on land to look at (ie something not moving) the horizon also works and get outdoors when you can get a little wind/open air. I find a wind breaker type jacket the most effective between dive jacket (that and it is designed to get wet) if using a wetsuit. I think hydration has been pretty well covered, just lots and lots of fluids. Enjoy the trip!

And don't bring any bananas. I made the mistake of bringing some on a fishing charter, was quickly set right. Apparently they are considered bad luck.

Steve

For keeping warm on boat dives I pack one or two towels in a dry sack. Depending on the length of the boat trip I also put in a change of clothes. If you don't have a dry sack all boats will have an dry area where you put the dry gear and no wet gear is allowed but the dry sack helps since someone can always put something wet on your dry towel, or it can get knocked off the dry ledge onto the wet floor. Using a towel in between dives helps keep you warmer, gives you something to wrap around yourself. Sometimes I'll take off the wet rash guard and put on a dry T-shirt until the next dive.

You shouldn't really have to take any food yourself. Most of the boats I've been on always have some form of snacks on board. Most also have warm drinks like coffee, tea, and hot chocolate to help keep warm as well. Some even provide hot soup. Personally I like Rice Krispy treats or Cliff bars as snacks for diving. I don't usually take fruit with me as most boats have apples or oranges as well. In Hawaii you get pineapple platters!

Since I find driving home in wet bathing suits annoying I also keep a clean dry change of clothes in the car. It can be very challenging to keep your change of clothes dry on a wet boat no matter how hard you try.

The only other advise is to have lots of fun.

Everyone is different, but I find if I get focused inside the boat I get seasick very quickly. Putting gear together is a good example, you need to look at it to put it all together. If at all possible assemble your gear at the dock. If you have to do it while underway, start early and do it one piece at a time - looking out of the boat at land or the horizon after each piece.

If I am getting seasick the most stable part of a boat is the centre, it moves the least, stand there, and keep your focus on the horizon. Works for me, YMMV.

Be early, be cheerful & be relatively quiet (when nervous it's easy to chatter).

Run though setting up your gear, getting dressing, donning gear, the whole dive and boat re-entry and undressing/stowing stuff all in your mind so everything will be a little more familiar & fresh in your memeory when it's the real thing. Mental preparation is great for calming one's nerves. Make the first mental run-though at least 24 hrs in advance.

Seasickness is greatly helped by starting the medicine the night before, also don't eat overly much or exotically that morning.

Make yourself a WRITTEN list and check it twice. Also re-check it when you think you took everything from the house to the car and from the car to the boat!

Before you are even ready for a buddy check, check yourself: breath each reg 3x while watching pressure gauge (mouthpieces intact, tightly attached & feel right?), check that BCD inflates & deflates, if you have a computer/light/other gear check that it works. Lots of stuff can be checked too but the 1st 2 items are the biggies: if you KNOW you can float & breath most other problems are fixable.

Better take something to eat & drink, otherwise Murphy (of the Law) will make it turn out that such was not available on the boat for whatever reasons. If nothing else maybe you can offer some food & drink to someone who forgot their wallet, or have a snack for the drive home.

That's all I can think of, except that if you haven't been out on boats much, do make sure you know how wet or how chilly it might be out on the water; I've no idea where Tob-whateveritwas is. A light watch/skully cap that covers your ears is always a good idea to have in your bag.

Still having no idea where Tober* is, if you are diving the sea or other big water it would be a great idea to take a SMB & a whistle. Let's just go with the idea that if you have them you will never need them so you never venture into the vice-versa.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Last edited:
Another hint, is make sure you have completed any last minute adjustments to your gear at last two days before you board the boat. Preferably, borrow or rent a tank, hook everything up, and make sure it breathes, bladders inflate, etc. If you have any blown O-rings, bad fittings, leaking hoses, etc. replacing them before you get on the boat is the best way to save the trip.

Also, listen to the captain, divemaster and instructor briefings carefully (even if no one else seems to be). The life you save may be your own!

- Stay hydrated all day

- Don't wait until the last minute to set up your gear.. do it when it's less crowded on the dive deck and take your time.

- if there's a hand shower on deck rinse your ears with fresh water after the dive and keep them dry. Nasty ear infections can develop from salt water microorganisms, plankton, etc... and also wind slamming your wet ears when the boat is really cruising.

- You will probably be given guidelines on the boat so listen carefully and pay attention to the pre-dive briefings.

- Have a good time... meet people and enjoy yourself.

Good luck

It's been a long time since we dove Tobermory -- have fun! I assume that you are wearing a 6 mil and a hood. Getting weight right is more difficult with a thick wetsuit and fresh water. Make sure your first dive is shallow and that you take the time on the surface to let your suit get wet. At first, you will be like a cork and won't be able to get down. Bring a jacket which is waterproof and windproof that you can put over your wetsuit between dives. Some people take off the top of the wetsuit, dry off, and put on a dry top between dives. It depends on how sunny or windy it is what works the best. Unless it rains. Get a decent-sized dry bag or put dry things in a plastic bag. Pay attention to what the captain says -- how you enter and exit the water depends on the boat, weather, etc. They will probably have water on the boat. Take along some energy food -- chocolate, nuts, etc. It's nice to take along a bag of wrapped hard candies and share them with the other divers. You will be tired and cold by the end of the day, but it will be worth it. Go to bed early and don't party!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom