Novice boat dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would ask your instructor more about the daily schedule... Those answers will drive much of what to expect.
Before doing any diving, you will have to stop at the park office for a park permit. Allow time for that.
I have done most of my diving over the years in Tobermory, and it would be unusual for a boat to be out for four dives. In my experience, you will most likely have two dives in the morning, return to the harbor for air fills, etc., and then go back out for two more dives in the afternoon. Most boats in Tobermory do not have room for four tanks per passenger, so a stop for air fills is likely.
In a 2+2 scenario, you might be able to grab some lunch while at the dock. There is a grocery store at harbourside. I typically run in to pick up some water or juice, as well as some sandwich-making stuff (e.g. a bulk bun from the bakery section, and some lunch meat from the deli). There are restaurants as well, but they will take a bit longer.
Bring lots of fluid for hydration, but plan what else to bring based on the schedule that you are given.
The water will be cold. How cold will depend on what sites you are diving, but expect temps in the low 40s (F) below around 60ft.
Otherwise, it is much as others have said: have a dry bag, and keep your gear confined on the boat.
The captains in Tobermory give good site briefings at each dive. Listen for what to be looking for on each dive, and enjoy.
Your entries will almost certainly be giant strides. Usually from the stern platform. Some boats have gates on the port and starboard sides as well.
Your exit will be via a ladder at the stern. You will climb the ladder with your gear on (including fins). Crew will generally help support you once on deck to remove your fins and then make your way to your spot on the bench. If waiting to exit, give divers ahead of you plenty of space for safety.
Finally, enjoy yourself. Tobermory has some great wrecks. The water is cold, and this time of year is as warm as it gets.
If you have never been to Tobermory, bring a camera... the scenery is fantastic.

Keep your weight belt on the deck, not up on a bench beside the rest of your gear. Boats rock and weights fall. If they fall on your feet, you'll never forget to keep them on the deck again. If they fall on your dive neighbors toes, he'll help you to remember to keep them on the deck.

Thanks! Tobermory is in Canada, so fresh water. We will be on the boat from 8:45 am - 5 pm Saturday, 4 dives with 3 tanks. A box lunch will be provided.

my OW certification dives were in a 7 mil suit with hood and gloves, the same as I'll have on Saturday, so my weights should be ok. I just dived this past weekend so I know all my gear is goid and my giant stride has always been giant enough to not hit my tank :)

I figured I'd post back with my experiences if it helps anyone else :) I was up there with Dip N Dive, my LDS. Our group took the Joseph Simon and the Mamie, I was on the Mamie. Gary was the captain and he was awesome! I panicked on our acclimation dive and had to be brought back to the boat. I hung out on the ladder while they calmed me down (Gary is awesome!) and I got back in the water and did the acclimation dive, I don't remember what wreck it was. Our first deep dive was the Scoville- I made it to 81' and got lucky that the coldest it got was 58 degrees. I skipped the other two dives for the day and warmed up in dry clothes on the top of the boat. Sunday I did both dives- the Niagara II (74') and the Sweepstakes- super shallow and quite fun :) The only thing I would really add is that you need a way to mark your tanks. Our instructors suggested duct tape and sharpie, but they mentioned it during the briefing instead of on our before the trip info sheet. If you own your tanks it might be easy to know which is yours, not so easy when you rent tanks. Also for those doing 4 dives on 3 tanks, it's helpful to mark the PSI on your used tanks so you know which one to use for the fourth dive. Oh and I was exhausted. I slept for 3 hours when I got back from the first two dives and only woke up so soon because it was dinner time.

Thanks for all the advice, and I would definitely recommend Tobermory to anybody interested!

Sounds like you had a fine time. And now that you know what it's like, all that pressure is off your back and you can truly relax and enjoy the next one you go on.

Steve

I figured I'd post back with my experiences if it helps anyone else :) I was up there with Dip N Dive, my LDS. Our group took the Joseph Simon and the Mamie, I was on the Mamie. Gary was the captain and he was awesome! I panicked on our acclimation dive and had to be brought back to the boat. I hung out on the ladder while they calmed me down (Gary is awesome!) and I got back in the water and did the acclimation dive, I don't remember what wreck it was. Our first deep dive was the Scoville- I made it to 81' and got lucky that the coldest it got was 58 degrees. I skipped the other two dives for the day and warmed up in dry clothes on the top of the boat. Sunday I did both dives- the Niagara II (74') and the Sweepstakes- super shallow and quite fun :) The only thing I would really add is that you need a way to mark your tanks. Our instructors suggested duct tape and sharpie, but they mentioned it during the briefing instead of on our before the trip info sheet. If you own your tanks it might be easy to know which is yours, not so easy when you rent tanks. Also for those doing 4 dives on 3 tanks, it's helpful to mark the PSI on your used tanks so you know which one to use for the fourth dive. Oh and I was exhausted. I slept for 3 hours when I got back from the first two dives and only woke up so soon because it was dinner time.

Thanks for all the advice, and I would definitely recommend Tobermory to anybody interested!

I'm diving this coming weekend at Tobermory as part of my AOW certification. What do I need to know? I'm very lucky that I will be diving with an awesome instructor so I'm sure the diving part will be ok, I'm just unsure on the rest. I'm doing 4 dives Saturday and 2 Sunday, I'm guessing I'll need to bring food and water with me. Any suggestions on good food to bring? What should I bring to keep warm between dives? All tips are appreciated! This is only my 12th dive ever, including certification dives. Pretend you're giving advice to somebody who's never done a boat dive before :) (I did once before, in Key Largo, but I was pretty sea sick and I didn't retain much. I plan on taking dramamine this time :wink:)

After your first dive surface without your mask and tell the dive master to find a dive spot with better vis.

I did have one problem I couldn't quickly figure out and it probably should be obvious... I wanted to give my buddy a thumbs up to show her that I thought something was cool, but I know I can't give a thums up for that. Was else would work?

I did have one problem I couldn't quickly figure out and it probably should be obvious... I wanted to give my buddy a thumbs up to show her that I thought something was cool, but I know I can't give a thums up for that. Was else would work?

Use the OK sign.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom