Novice boat dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always carry a roll of blue painter tape and a sharpie in my dive kit. I can put a piece of tape and my name on a tank (I own my own tanks but they still look like everyone else's). When the tank is used I tear off half the tape. So it still has my name but not my full name. Helps with identifying my tanks and with knowing which tanks are full. Another trick (but probably not a good idea on the boat) is if you bang the tank on the ground a full tank will sound differently than an empty tank. The guys down at ScubaToys posted a video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbOXM8cPFEM.

As a way to show something is cool I just give an OK or maybe a double OK. An alternative is to use the Shaka hand sign. If in doubt, go over the hand signals before you get in the water as part of your buddy check. At that point you could agree on anything to mean 'cool'.

or you could use the "rock fingers"

rock fingers.jpg

If you roll off the boat, don't straighten your leg. I have permanent marks from the GIANT bruise I got when I did that... and it hurt.

Was else would work?

I think "Jazz hands" works pretty well... :wink:

I'm sorry I'm late to the party, as Tobermory is my second home. Much of the advice is very applicable, and some is completely useless! (Tobermory is on the Great Lakes and we routinely drink the water we're diving in to stay hydrated. But Canada has salt water... and lots of it. We have the longest salt-water coast of any country in the world, I believe, with oceans on three sides!)

For anyone reading this looking for similar information, boats in Tobermory do not provide lunch or even very serious snacks, unless you arrange for them ahead of time. Divers Den has an arrangement with a local restaurant to make up boat lunches, but you need to let them know the day before. G+S has a small snack area in the back of the shop, and there's a grocery store in the harbour that makes nice deli sandwiches. Allow time to grab one.

Also, parking in the harbour area is limited to two hours, so allow a few minutes to move your car up the street to the long term parking... about a 5 minute walk. In Tobermory, it's perfectly acceptable to walk through the middle of town with a wetsuit on, or any other gear. Parking times are enforced and offenders ticketed.

Always bring warm clothes to Tobermory, no matter what the weather forecast says. Cold water was invented here as you know, and the lake makes a heck of an air-conditioner. You might not need them, but if you're doing multiple wet dives in a day, a toque and gloves won't go to waste, nor will a thermos of something warm.

Some visitors underestimate how "big" our water is. We're located on the tip of a long peninsula, so if the wind is up, it can get rough, especially in the fall. Our waves aren't as big as ocean swells, but they tend to be close together, and are often "confused". Weather can change quickly here as well, so be prepared. Having said that, our summer weather is often very good. The water is a great moderator for weather patterns.

I think that's about it, but anyone reading this should feel free to PM me if they have any specific questions about the area.

Wow. Great advice from everyone. Except...... Please don't forget to tip the captain and crew!!!!!!! There should be a tip bucket in a very conspicuous location. I usually leave at least $10.00 US for each trip I arrive safely back at the dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary on the Mamie had tons of bottled water, coffee crunch (candy not available in the US!) and meal bars. I definitely left a tip, he was awesome! Oh and for anybody heading towards the NY border crossings- if you happen to miss your turn onto ON-6 and find yourself lost in a little town called Scone, there is a very sweet lady who works at a fry stand who will write you directions while you eat some poutine :)

Back
Top Bottom