OceanLog beta version 2.1.4 Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsevern:
One other (possibly stupid) question..

I've seen alot of references to "SAC" in this thread. Um....what does that stand for?

'Surface Air Consumption'

In the EU/UK/Metric world, its worked out in 'Litres per minute'. Its an indication of how much air you breathe at the surface, given an average depth. Its converted to the surface (1 ATA) so you can then work out what cylinder size would be required for a dive to a certain depth and time - No point taking at huge 15ltr cylinder if a 10ltr would do.

For example (sorry I'm working in Metric):

I have a 10ltr cylinder filled to 220Bar - I can work out that at the being of the dive I start with 2200ltrs of air (10 x 220)

The dive was a square profile down to 20 meters
The dive lasted exactly 60mins

At the end of the dive I had 100Bar left, meaning I had used 120bar of air, from this I can work out I used 1200ltrs of air (the 120bar times the 10ltr size)

So we have:
1. The amount of air I breathed
2. The duration of my dive
3. The depth

In 60mins I breathed 1200ltrs of air. This works out at 20ltrs per min.

But I did it at 20meters (3 ATAs) - where I used 3x as much as on the surface, so divide the 20ltrs by the depth in Atmospheres (3)

This gives you a SAC rate of 6.67ltrs per min!! YAY!

From there I can roughly answer the following:

I want to dive to 25meters, for 45mins - what size cylinder do I need?

To work this out we need:
A. Depth (25meters)
B. Time (45mins)
C. Fill Pressure (from above 220bar)
D. SAC Rate (6.67ltr/min)

Firstly we need to know how much air we would breathe for 45mins at the surface, to do this we times our dive time ('B') with our SAC Rate ('D') :

6.67 * 45 = 300.15 This gives us 300.15 litres

Obviously this is at the surface (1 ATA) and we are diving to 25meters, so we need to find our our ATA for the depth:

25 ('A') divided by 10 and then add 1 = 3.5 (ATA)

So times this (3.5 ATA) by our 300.15 from above gives us : 1050 ltrs used for 45mins at 25meters, great! However that doesn't give us a tank size...

From above, we know the tank will be filled to 220bar ('C') if we divide the 1050ltrs by the fill pressure ('C') we get: 1050 / 220 = 4.777 (Roughly a 5 ltr tank), however we need to add in 50bar for good measure and safety:

So make the fill pressure now 170bar (220 - 50) and of course the required cylinder size now goes up to: 6.179 (At this point I would pick a 7ltr!)

Hope that helps!

dsevern:
Interesting....seems in the board maintenance I lost my posts in this thread.

Also, just noticed the download link for the 2.1.4 Beta of OceanLog that is in the first post of this thread, no longer works. In fact they don't appear to be hosting any software on that site at all, anymore.

Anyone have any updates on this?
It seems to be on this page now.
http://oceanicnet.com/services_software.html

Direct link >> http://oceanicnet.com/software/Oceanlog_2.1.4_beta2.zip

< EDITED WITH DIRECT LINK TO LATEST VERSION >

Doug Krause:
Thanks to everything that has taken the time to report back here to the thread. We have just uploaded a revised beta version, addressing most of the issues identified here.

Direct Link: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/software/Oceanlog_2.1.4_beta2.zip

Release Notes: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/software/OceanLog_2.X_release.txt
Sac rate calculations are still garbage. I use imperial and PSI. For example:

Starting pressure: 3350
Ending Pressure: 750
Working Pressure: 3442
Dive time: 61 minutes
Avg Depth: 46.2
SAC Rate: Should be (.515) Shows (1.238)

Hey Doug,
Did anyone actually check to see if the faults were fixed, the metric SAC is still the same as it was 0

Start pressure 294 Bar
End pressure 147 Bar
Working pressure 300 Bar ( why the sofware needs that I dont know )
Cylinder size 10.4 litres
Dive time 34 minutes
Average depth 14.0 meters

Sac rate = 0 LPM

Mark

Hi Rubman,

The working pressure for metric calculations should be 1, I check and all my SAC rates are ok, (between 12 and 14l/min).

Well if I can start on the new release feed back:
When printing; if one of the gear items was set to NONE, all the rest of the items moves up one row. So because I did not use Alt. Air source, I now have Chute 1 BC as Alt. Air source, Pressure gauge as BC and Omer wetsuit for Gauges and so forth.

The Dive History is working quite nicely, the number of dives for the last 6 and 12 months are now correct but the dive time for the last 6 and 12 months are 0:00. Thie total dive time is correct.

rgs
Wilhelm

Doug Krause:
Thanks to everything that has taken the time to report back here to the thread. We have just uploaded a revised beta version, addressing most of the issues identified here.

Direct Link: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/software/Oceanlog_2.1.4_beta2.zip

Release Notes: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/software/OceanLog_2.X_release.txt

My Dive Computer: Pro Plus 2
I work in Metric.
Operating system: Windows Vista 64 (with dual prosessor)

It says SAC in metric is sorted in the Release notes.
Question: what is working pressure?

I can't use the help file even though it now puts a shortcut to the desktop as I am using vista.

If I entre 1 as Rockbrother says, the SAC shows garbage untill the changes are saved and the program is shut down and re-started.

Once the program is re-started the SAC dose show resonable figures.
If any of the data is altered then a save and restart is required. (Where is the save button?)
Reading TheTrickster post I would say they are close but not correct (unless of course they are worked on the different depths of the dive profile to give an average).

On a completly diferent subgect:
While I was trying to figure out what working pressure is, I opened the calculator to see if it was the difference between the start and end pressure.
If an other window is opend over Oceanic Log all the data disapears.

Is there any progress on a driver for the USB download lead?
After all the program is usless if no data can be read by it.

Hi Wilhelm,

I have changed the working pressure to 1 bar ( in multiple dives )but still come up with a nonsensical figure like 0.083 l/min, the only way that I can get a reading that would make any common sense is to input the cylinder size as a exact computation such as start pressure 294 Bar X 10.4 liters = cylinder size of 3057 liters , then I get a SAC of 25.43 LPM, but I am sure that would not be what the software designer had in mind. Right ??

Mark

Working pressure is the operating pressure of the cylinder. This is important in that it is used to calculate how many CF or CM of gas exists per PSI/BAR.

As an example:

77.4cf tank with a working pressure of 3300psi can be represented as about 42psi/cf. When the software attempts to calculate your SAC rate, it first needs to calculate how much gas is available per pressure unit (psi/bar) in your tank.

Another example - two divers use Oceanic computers. One has a LP steel tank overfilled to 3200 PSI. The other has a HP steel tank filled to 3200 psi. If the rated tank sizes are the same (say, 100CF), the diver with an overfilled tank has significantly more gas per PSI than the diver with an HP tank. Without knowing the operating pressure of the tank it is impossible to accurately compute a SAC rate, as the OceanLog software cannot possible know that one fellow has a high pressure tank (and at 3200psi has less than the rated tank capacity) while the other bloke has a low pressure tank that is quite full of gas, beyond the official rated capacity of his tank.

Hi Mark,
I do not seem to get this problem, I did some testing and found that I can change my working pressure to just about anything, even leaving it blank and it does not affect the SAC rate value. I think that if you set your software to work in metric, it automatically use 1 for the working pressure, no matter wat you enter in the field.

Regarding the help file not working on Vista, I found this article on the microsoft support site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607
They basically say that Windows Vista will no longer support the *.hlp file format, and they encourage software designers to change to chm, html or mxl. There is a link where you can dawnload a program that will display the help files.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom